Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Loyal Opposition

Social Principles

When I did my introductory post here, one of the things that I said was important to me was showing that Christianity does not belong to the right wing of political parties. The United Methodist Church has developed over the years a statement of Social Principles. Here is my favorite:
Work and Leisure. Every person has the right to a job at a living wage. When the private sector cannot or does not provide jobs for all who seek and need them, it is the responsibility of government to provide for the creation of such jobs. We support social measures that ensure the physical and mental safety of workers, that provide for the equitable division of products and services, and that encourage an increasing freedom in the way individuals may use their leisure time. We recognize the opportunity leisure provides for creative contributions to society and encourage methods that allow workers additional blocks of discretionary time. We support educational, cultural, and recreational outlets that enhance the use of such time. We believe persons come before profits. We deplore the selfish spirit that often pervades our economic life. We support policies that encourage the sharing of ideas in the workplace, cooperative and collective work arrangements. We Support rights of workers to refuse to work in situations that endanger health and/or life without jeopardy to their jobs. We support policies that would reverse increasing concentration of business and industry into monopolies.
If you want to see more of the Social Principles, look here.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Loyal Opposition

The statement of Social Principles has grown to be a rather comprehensive document. Here is a statement that started the development - this is from 1908.
The Methodist Episcopal Church stands:

• For equal rights and complete justice for all men and all stations of life.
• For the principles of conciliation and arbitration in industrial dissensions.
• For the protection of the worker from dangerous machinery, occupational diseases, injuries and mortality.
• For the abolition of child labor.
• For such regulation of the conditions of labor for women as shall safeguard the physical and moral health of the community.
• For the suppression of the “sweating system.”
• For the gradual and reasonable reduction of the hours of labor to the lowest practical point, with work for all; and for that degree of leisure for all which is the condition of the highest human life.
• For a release for employment one day and seven.
• For a living wage in every industry.
• For the highest wage that each industry can afford, and for the most equitable division of the products in the industry that can ultimately be devised.
• For the recognition of the Golden Rule and the mind of Christ is the supreme law of society and the sure remedy for all social ills.
Growing up in the Church, this philosophy has played a large role in the development of my political ideals.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Admin

Hear, hear!
Old 11-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Resident octogenarian

My Dad was so much a Methodist my older brother was named Wesley, may he rest in peace
Old 11-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Area Man

Hmmmmmm...................

We were Methodist and Pop was a Union guy for most of his life. I wonder how our rightwing friends reconcile their religious beliefs with their obviously anti-worker politics?

And, when I say "anti-worker", I'm sure I will be reminded that they believe "anti-Union is not anti-worker".

A point to which I beg to differ. My fathers generation saw far better reward for their labors than mine ever will. And, I happen to believe this is no accident. The growing wealth disparity is my evidence.

Dave
Old 11-03-2013, 05:48 PM

You can't get there from here. There's too many people in the way.

Chas
Old 11-03-2013, 06:07 PM

The Tip Jar at all the Subways and Little Caesars speak volumes.

You never saw that stuff in the 70s at fast food franchises.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:15 PM
reflexionar

Back in the day, many of the business owners were members of esteem in their respective congregations. They actually felt compelled to adhere to this type of philosophy. As the years go by, there is as much a separation of church and business as there is of church and state. As big government caters to big business, I don't find this surprising. One of the biggest problems with business and government these days is that big businesses are actually a very small percentage of the businesses in the country. I have never worked long term for a business of more than 50 people. In my work experience, I have almost always been treated fair. This suggests to me that small businesses try for the most part, but since huge corporations have such price and distribution advantages it has cut the profit margins down so far that small business doesn't have as much to spend on their employees. I know the owners of the businesses I have worked for have made substantially more than I do, but none of them were out of the lower 6 figure range.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You can't get there from here. There's too many people in the way.

Chas
At the MOMENT.

Dave
Old 11-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
Back in the day, many of the business owners were members of esteem in their respective congregations. They actually felt compelled to adhere to this type of philosophy. As the years go by, there is as much a separation of church and business as there is of church and state. As big government caters to big business, I don't find this surprising. One of the biggest problems with business and government these days is that big businesses are actually a very small percentage of the businesses in the country. I have never worked long term for a business of more than 50 people. In my work experience, I have almost always been treated fair. This suggests to me that small businesses try for the most part, but since huge corporations have such price and distribution advantages it has cut the profit margins down so far that small business doesn't have as much to spend on their employees. I know the owners of the businesses I have worked for have made substantially more than I do, but none of them were out of the lower 6 figure range.
Which makes me wonder why religious extremism and the "party of business" have engaged in a Vulcan mind meld.

Regards,

D-Ray