Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
The Tip Jar at all the Subways and Little Caesars speak volumes.

You never saw that stuff in the 70s at fast food franchises.
Or, the "Homer Bucket" at Home Depot. Employees are expected to donate money to each other to help pay their bills, because they are underpaid.

If no one sees the absurdity in that....................

Dave
Old 11-03-2013, 11:52 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Or, the "Homer Bucket" at Home Depot. Employees are expected to donate money to each other to help pay their bills, because they are underpaid.

If no one sees the absurdity in that....................

Dave
Reminds me of my experience in the fast food zone, decades ago. Management had a nifty plan to raise morale. There would be an employee of the month, there would be a little recognition party, and everyone would be docked a little to pay for the party. We were supposed to vote to adopt this happy plan.

When it didn't pass the first time, the manager called a do-over of the election. I guess people got the idea that were were going to be there until it passed, since it did the second time. Unless the manager, who was counting the votes, realized something obvious....
Old 11-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Resident octogenarian

The reason we left the CHURCH (actually I really think they left us) was because the CHURCH has become big business. It is really quite simple, although I know that I must have disappointed him on occasion my Father never once stopped loving me (nor Mom either). Surely if an earthly father can offer unconditional love what do you suppose a Heavenly Father can do?

Last edited by merrylander; 11-05-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Admin

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...y.html?hpid=z1

Now, here's a new kind of minister.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...y.html?hpid=z1

Now, here's a new kind of minister.
The only preacher I ever really liked said a lot of the same things.

The difference is, he could do it without getting in your face.

Chas
Old 11-14-2013, 08:40 AM

AND I THOUGHT I WAS A MINORITY,i also have left the practice of attending church and any of the money raising functions.i see a lot of people struggling and too many churches getting more wealthy.it reminds me of the government but only the government is not prospering as much(or at least the part going back to the people). i get turned of by people living in a grand style and others around them not.I am also guilty of this but i do try to make others have as i have.

I believe there are good intentions but i am sure everyone know about good intention's.and once again i really really believe it is out of our hands as far as changing thing's.the plot just has to play out.but that is just how it is when you look at the big picture,everyday common life doesnt show this because a lot of us are in our comfort zone and do not want to look any further.

some of the statements i have just stated might have come out in a different way than i intended,so ask me if you are unclear on something or are offended.really i know i am screwed up and my medications kinda run my thought process sometimes.(at least that is what i will tell the court if it ever comes to that)
Old 11-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1 View Post
AND I THOUGHT I WAS A MINORITY,i also have left the practice of attending church and any of the money raising functions.i see a lot of people struggling and too many churches getting more wealthy.it reminds me of the government but only the government is not prospering as much(or at least the part going back to the people). i get turned of by people living in a grand style and others around them not.I am also guilty of this but i do try to make others have as i have.

I believe there are good intentions but i am sure everyone know about good intention's.and once again i really really believe it is out of our hands as far as changing thing's.the plot just has to play out.but that is just how it is when you look at the big picture,everyday common life doesnt show this because a lot of us are in our comfort zone and do not want to look any further.

some of the statements i have just stated might have come out in a different way than i intended,so ask me if you are unclear on something or are offended.really i know i am screwed up and my medications kinda run my thought process sometimes.(at least that is what i will tell the court if it ever comes to that)
While I can understand that issues that people have with the institutional church, I also see the good that churches do in bringing people together for a common goal. I know that I do more volunteer work through the church than I would otherwise do. I also know that the resources our church has available to it are utilized to serve needs in the community. In any event, I can say that my experiences have been positive.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-15-2013, 02:59 PM

There are lot's of good churches out there.But A lot have forgotten why there is a need for them to be.I particularly like the message that Charles Stanley gives.He is a breath of fresh air.When we slow down to a second by second view of our life situation then we can appreciate the need of each other more better.and understand the true meaning of our existence.in a simplified POV it is more defined for what it was designed for.

Last edited by one1; 11-15-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:28 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
While I can understand that issues that people have with the institutional church, I also see the good that churches do in bringing people together for a common goal. I know that I do more volunteer work through the church than I would otherwise do. I also know that the resources our church has available to it are utilized to serve needs in the community. In any event, I can say that my experiences have been positive.

Regards,

D-Ray
Don I am truly happy that you find your church like that. Unfortunately after we married I started attending Florence's church. Father XXX did not object to the friendly neighborhood WASP. However the concregation was a miserable lot so we simply stopped attending.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post

Regards,

D-Ray
While attending services, or any social event isn't my cup of tea, I tend to agree with you that organized religion is more often than not a positive attribute for society.

A lot of really decent folks attend church. After all, they're not ALL used car salesmen, insurance agents, or LAWYERS!!!

Take care,

Chas