Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:51 AM

Attack! Stuxnet: cyber-espionage

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...ear-ambitions/

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...r_program.html

I'm not a computer guy, so I'm not following all the tech-speak here, but this is fascinating stuff. As one quote suggests, this is truly a game - changer. How do you protect yourself from a virus that you can't see, and learns as it goes about how to best penetrate your cyber-defenses? All of the computer controlled military and defense equipment can be targeted and disabled without firing a shot of conventional weaponry.

Not to mention the setbacks that have been delivered (thankfully) to Iran's nuke program.

Wild...
Old 12-04-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post

I'm not a computer guy, so I'm not following all the tech-speak here, but this is fascinating stuff. As one quote suggests, this is truly a game - changer. How do you protect yourself from a virus that you can't see, and learns as it goes about how to best penetrate your cyber-defenses? All of the computer controlled military and defense equipment can be targeted and disabled without firing a shot of conventional weaponry.

Not to mention the setbacks that have been delivered (thankfully) to Iran's nuke program.

Wild...
Unhook the modem.

Chas
Old 12-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Resident octogenarian

That was specifically targeted at the brand of processor Iran is using (Siemens??). and might not necessarily work on other brands. If it was just a problem of the codeset, frex moving from Fortran to C, it would be one thing. However I believe it also took advanage of the architecture of the machines.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
That was specifically targeted at the brand of processor Iran is using (Siemens??). and might not necessarily work on other brands. If it was just a problem of the codeset, frex moving from Fortran to C, it would be one thing. However I believe it also took advanage of the architecture of the machines.
I have no idea of what you're talking about, but I recognize that you DO know what you're talking about.

Chas
Old 12-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Resident octogenarian

Chas I started in computers back in 1963 when they filled a room. The one I am posting from now sits on my desk and has more power and memory than that first one did. Hopefully a little has rubbed off in those 47 years.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post

Wild...
Maybe we launched it?

Dave
Old 12-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Maybe we launched it?

Dave
My guess is that it was us in cahoots with the Israelis. I think it likely entered their network through the careless use of USB thumb drives.

BTW, I suppose you gents read that last week that two motorcycle riders attached magnetic bombs to the car of the top two Iranian nuclear scientists, killing one and gravely injuring the other. And the GOP says that Obama doesn't play hardball, eh?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
My guess is that it was us in cahoots with the Israelis. I think it likely entered their network through the careless use of USB thumb drives.

BTW, I suppose you gents read that last week that two motorcycle riders attached magnetic bombs to the car of the top two Iranian nuclear scientists, killing one and gravely injuring the other. And the GOP says that Obama doesn't play hardball, eh?
Obama? I think you have spelled MOSSAD incorrectly.

Chas
Old 12-04-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Chas I started in computers back in 1963 when they filled a room. The one I am posting from now sits on my desk and has more power and memory than that first one did. Hopefully a little has rubbed off in those 47 years.
I realized you've been working with computers for a long time, but I didn't know it went back to 1963.

Comprende COBOL? Or did you write the code?

Chas
Old 12-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I realized you've been working with computers for a long time, but I didn't know it went back to 1963.

Comprende COBOL? Or did you write the code?

Chas
I am guessing Fortran.