Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:33 PM

CFL's

Just had another one of those miserable things burn out. Personally, I don't think that they're saving me enough money to pay for themselves. Used to buy commercial service 130V bulbs, and they lasted every bit as long.

But it doesn't matter, we're saving the World, and I'll do my part. But when the goose steppers come for my vacuum tubes...well, things are gonna be different,

Chas
Old 06-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Resident octogenarian

Can't use 'em, Flourescents ruin my wife's eyes. Often wonder what all that flickering does for people with certain diseases?
Old 06-07-2009, 04:52 PM

They give an odd, not-too-strong light...An' we won't even talk about what they do to radio reception....An' the "cycling" that they do bugs the hell outta me, too, Rob...
Old 06-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Resident octogenarian

I would be real curious to see what it does for an epileptic, I notice that whenevr they show a clip that contains flashing lights, the newscaster on the BBC news warns the listeners. My late brother-in-law suffered from epilepsy. They thought it might have been brought on by thr guns aboard ship, he was a fire ccontrol type on destroyers in WW II in the Canadian Navy.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I would be real curious to see what it does for an epileptic, I notice that whenevr they show a clip that contains flashing lights, the newscaster on the BBC news warns the listeners. My late brother-in-law suffered from epilepsy. They thought it might have been brought on by thr guns aboard ship, he was a fire ccontrol type on destroyers in WW II in the Canadian Navy.

Maybe overcautious? Not all epileptics are vulnerable to flashing lights but because some are, they have to warn everyone. It's like the labels supermarkets stick on everything "may contain nuts"?

Caution rules. I've just started on some new meds after a fit I had over a year ago. The list of possible side effects runs to two pages under three headings; "very common (over 10 percent)", "common; (between 1 and 10 percent)" and "rare (under 1 percent). They could make me aggressive, depressive, suicidal, cause stomach cramps and diarrhea and cause memory loss. Put that lot together and it sounds like a fun afternoon........ That assumes I don't blow myself up pulling the gas fire apart to try to find if there's a bird's trapped behind it.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:57 AM
Resident octogenarian

My sympathies, every time we see one of the commercials for some new "wonder drug"* on TV the side effects sound worse than the disease. I feel damned lucky that pushing 79 as I am the only drug I take on a daily basis is an 81mg aspirin. Good luck with the new stuff.

* Wonder drug = I wonder if this one will work
Old 06-13-2009, 07:47 AM

Yeah, don't those commercials TICKLE you ? Sometimes I barely get the name of the damn drug, or what its actually FOR, 'cause they spend all of their time telling you WHY you SHOULDN'T take it...And 99% of these stupid pills I can't just be-bop into my friendly local drug store & pick up a few of 'em to "test drive", they're prescription only. So why go the trouble of hawking them to ME in the 1st place ? That's my DOCTOR'S job to keep up w/this stuff, not mine-I could care less about this pill over that pill...
Old 06-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
Maybe overcautious? Not all epileptics are vulnerable to flashing lights but because some are, they have to warn everyone. It's like the labels supermarkets stick on everything "may contain nuts"?

Caution rules. I've just started on some new meds after a fit I had over a year ago. The list of possible side effects runs to two pages under three headings; "very common (over 10 percent)", "common; (between 1 and 10 percent)" and "rare (under 1 percent). They could make me aggressive, depressive, suicidal, cause stomach cramps and diarrhea and cause memory loss. Put that lot together and it sounds like a fun afternoon........ That assumes I don't blow myself up pulling the gas fire apart to try to find if there's a bird's trapped behind it.
and those are the ones that they admit to, normally in very few studies with few participates for short durations.
IMO the FDA and the local DA's need to look hard and long at the "omissions" of the side effects that come to light when drugs are mass used.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Yeah, don't those commercials TICKLE you ? Sometimes I barely get the name of the damn drug, or what its actually FOR, 'cause they spend all of their time telling you WHY you SHOULDN'T take it...And 99% of these stupid pills I can't just be-bop into my friendly local drug store & pick up a few of 'em to "test drive", they're prescription only. So why go the trouble of hawking them to ME in the 1st place ? That's my DOCTOR'S job to keep up w/this stuff, not mine-I could care less about this pill over that pill...
Here is the twist, the pharmaceutical sales people are the ones that primarily educate the doctor about the pills. How is that for a conflict of interests.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Resident octogenarian

Well guys there is one you don't need to worry about - don't take Yaz.

Then there is the one that shrinks your prostate Avodart, they say women should not take it - who was the last woman anyone knew that had a prostate?