Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Heck I can hardly make a call from a cellphone let alone something fancy

Pete
They are good for quick referencing when you are at the thrift store and are not sure if the KLH Model Nines standing in front of you are worth $29.99

I am off to the thrift
last week was good Snells and Infinities
Old 10-14-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
They are good for quick referencing when you are at the thrift store and are not sure if the KLH Model Nines standing in front of you are worth $29.99

I am off to the thrift
last week was good Snells and Infinities
Shoot yeah, you can even download an app that reads bar codes. And other software too so you can use them to swipe a credit or debit card to receive payment if someone wants to buy something from you, or pay you for work you've done for them, etc if they don't have cash in hand.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Admin

The wife and I went up to the middle fork of Lytle Creek for a hike this Sunday with her brother and his wife. We let the girls walk on ahead just in case there were any mountain lions or bears lurking in the area. The blackberry patch was a bust, dammit but it sure is beautiful up there in the San Bernardino National Forest. No rangers (furloughed) but I bought a Forest Adventure daypass anyways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lytle_Creek,_California

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...t-%20Districts

Last edited by bobabode; 10-14-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Area Man

I thought that's what the "Off Topic" forum is for?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Shoot yeah, you can even download an app that reads bar codes. And other software too so you can use them to swipe a credit or debit card to receive payment if someone wants to buy something from you, or pay you for work you've done for them, etc if they don't have cash in hand.
Sometimes I see people doing that to CDs just so they can see how much they are going for used online...of course it is really annoying when they hog the space and you cannot look yourself. I really hate the ones that open every case and stare at every cd for over a minute and then put it back and move on to the next cd....

It takes me a few seconds to scan with my eyes...unless a new shipment has come in crates....then I will rummage through each box.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:30 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Sometimes I see people doing that to CDs just so they can see how much they are going for used online...of course it is really annoying when they hog the space and you cannot look yourself. I really hate the ones that open every case and stare at every cd for over a minute and then put it back and move on to the next cd....

It takes me a few seconds to scan with my eyes...unless a new shipment has come in crates....then I will rummage through each box.
Life is a real bitch, ain't it?
Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

No one asked about the jump? I'll tell you anyway

It was - by far - the most terrifying thing I've ever done in my life.

The plane ride was neat, a little twin prop, set up for regular use it probably would've held 8 passengers? or so. No fear from the plane, I was strapped to a parachute.

About halfway up (jumped at 12,500 feet) the guy says 'it's hot in here' and opened the door. At that point my palms went from sweating profusely to pouring out. It made it very real.

Then, we scoot over to the door, I hold onto the door frame and step out onto a little step. The guy I'm strapped to taps my shoulder, that was the sign I was to let go of the frame and hold my harness. I am standing OUTSIDE THE PLANE.

Then, AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh the big fall. I mean AAAHHHHhhh literally because that's what I did. I would say screamed like a little girl but I don't sound that way, it was a real yell! Till the chute opened. It took a while, I had to take a breath and keep screaming

Amazing. Very stable, very gentle, no swaying back and forth, pretty quiet after the huge wind noise of the free fall. He disconnects the lower shackles and surprise! You 'fall' onto the uppers - I swore.

He shows me the ripcord he pulled and starts up like a tour guide, over there is that lake, there's that highway, too bad it isn't a little clearer you could've seen downtown Cleveland.

Then he gives me the controls. Turn right he says. I pull and swing hard almost perpendicular to the ground. This causes me to yell again. He MUST have been cracking up.

He had me pull both which makes a little stall - scary. When you release you almost fall a little.

Come in for the landing, I have to hold my legs straight out, gently land on my butt and slide a foot or two. I look like I'm a vegetable for a minute, then suddenly let out a war whoop. He says you can get up, I say I'll try.

That's it. Also the most exciting thing I've ever done, writing this I can feel the adrenaline again.

And I kept my eyes open the whole time.

Pete
Old 10-15-2013, 12:17 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

You gonna do it again?
Old 10-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I don't think so. It's weird but I think it would be harder. I'm getting post-fear of heights strangeness too, twice already I've dreamed of being about to fall from a very high height.

My dad confirms this. He said when he was in paratrooper training quite a few guys couldn't make the second jump.

Pete
Old 10-15-2013, 12:56 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Come on down to Pigeon Forge, Tn. There is one of those wind machines that blows you up in the air. Indoor skydiving!

http://www.flyawayindoorskydiving.com/