Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Area Man

A true Conservative..........................

He's probably gay and diverting tens of millions to pet projects in his district as well. Come to think of it, he does look gay..........................

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...f-wine/241642/

Dave
Old 07-09-2011, 01:35 PM

You know how those fancy restaurants mark-up the wine list. He was just another victim of capitalist greed. I'm sure you get that bottle at WalMart for $40...

Edwards should be tied down and taken to SuperCuts. And this guy ought to be force-fed the "house wine"..

Whatdoya want from me? Surprise? Outrage? A tussle over pimps and thieves??
Old 07-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Area Man

I don't want anything from you. But, you're certainly free to offer it all you want.

BTW. I've never been to restaurant that fancy. I've also never been rich enough to propose my own tax cuts on the floor of Congress.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 07-09-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Resident octogenarian

It is $180 per bottle at Schnieder's of Capitol Hill for that vintage. Prices can vary up to $324 per bottle depending on the year. Doubtful that you would find it at Wally World since it comes from France not China.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post

Edwards should be tied down and taken to SuperCuts.
He probably would really enjoy it too.

Carl
Old 07-09-2011, 10:51 PM

Pretty sure I've never had a $350 bottle of wine. We did have Friday wine-tastings in the park when I worked at Ampex and I THINK we uncorked a couple $200 bottles of wine, but it was split 20 ways or so..

Could be that while I was over in Europe or Asia that I was fed some expensive stuff and didn't ever see the bill. That would still be an ethics violation wouldn't it?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Area Man

You worked at Ampex? What did you do there?

(You do realize you're in the midst of a bunch of vintage audio geeks, don't you?)

Dave
Old 07-10-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
You worked at Ampex? What did you do there?

(You do realize you're in the midst of a bunch of vintage audio geeks, don't you?)

Dave
Dave, us audio geeks are also thought to have a sickness of some sort ( or at least very strange people to say the least ). My daughter is starting 10'th grade, and in 9'th grade got along good with one of the teachers last year. In the start of 9'th grade, her teacher was telling the class that he listened to a few LP's on his turn table the night before and my daughter was the only one that carried on a conversation with him. The class of 9'th graders had not a clue wtf her and the teacher were talking about.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Area Man

"Reel to Reel tape?! WTF? Get an iPod, Man. You can store thousands of songs on those things."

"I'd rather listen to two hours of music at 7.5 ips on my Revox than listen to tinkly noise all day long on that piece of s**t."

They'll never understand, Hillbilly. They live in a world where convenience is king. Ours is all about something else.

Dave
Old 07-10-2011, 01:57 PM

I did try to mention that awhile back. Thought I could get my "dues" adjusted with impressing y'all about my Ampex days. But D-Ray told me "no discount"..

I LOVED Ampex. So much going on there in the late 80s. It was filled with old farts who were all 20 year veterans. I was one of the 1st "young'uns" hired there in many years. They sent me out to recruit about 20 more new graduates in a 2 year span.. One ended up becoming my current wife and engineering partner.

These "next gen" recruits brought Ampex into the digital age. MANY ended up as founders of Pixar and DreamWorks when Ampex couldn't figure out what to do with all the NEW fangled stuff we developed. Thought TV special effects was just a toy and passing fad. I got to work in Advanced R&D for about 7 years. A lot of work was actually sensitive Federal stuff. That tossed me into the spooky side of life for about 6 years of my stint at Ampex. My group was chartered to signal analysis/image analysis research. Ampex figured that folks were buying a lot of tape and recorders to store these things -- we should help them analyze the crap instead of just archiving it...

The fatal problem at Ampex was their inability to produce ANY consumer level goods. Should have acquired somebody or spun-off all that magnetic recording knowledge to folks who could. Instead they just relied on royalties.

Last edited by flacaltenn; 07-10-2011 at 02:01 PM.