Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-03-2022, 02:18 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
This is an excerpt from an article I read about the Trump documents issue. It certainly appears that he has violated the law regarding who actually "owns" those documents.......

‘NO SUCH THINGS AS MEMENTOS’

The Archives serves as the final resting spot for the work of every White House.

After the Watergate scandal and Nixon's resignation, Congress passed a law in 1978 to ensure that all presidential records — written, electronic material created by the president, the vice president, or any other member of the executive branch in an official capacity — are preserved and turned over to the Archives at the end of an administration. The law states that a president's records are not his or her own, but are the property of the federal government and must be treated as such.

When a new administration begins, White House staff receive a brochure on the law and step-by-step instructions on how to preserve records. The preservation requirements cover a wide range of items, including presents and letters from foreign leaders. “There are no such things as mementos,” said Lee White, the executive director of the National Coalition for History.

In addition, the law requires that even while in office, the president or any member of that administration must first seek the advice of the archivist before destroying any record, a practice Trump and his aides reportedly ignored throughout his four years in office.

“Everything he writes down is essentially a presidential record. It's not his property,” White said. “It is so basic to the whole concept of why the Presidential Records Act was created.”

“At noon on Inauguration Day, the custody transfers to the archivist. Period. There is no maybe. It's the law,” he added.

___

AN UNPRECEDENTED DECISION

The rules of the Presidential Records Act are central to the FBI's investigation of Trump.

After Trump left office, the Archives discovered that records from his White House were missing. What followed was a yearlong back-and-forth between the Archives’ legal counsel and Trump’s lawyers that resulted in the voluntary return of 15 boxes of presidential records. Upon opening the boxes, the agency discovered that 14 of them contained classified documents and information.

Recognizing a potential crime, the agency made the unprecedented decision to refer the matter to the Justice Department. That move culminated in the search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in August. FBI agents recovered more than 100 classified records, including some that were stashed in the former president’s office among personal items.
No offense intended but a link to the story quoted is required by Grumpy's rules. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
No offense intended but a link to the story quoted is required by Grumpy's rules. Thanks.
Hi Bob, since I couldn't find the story again (it was on my browser's homepage this AM, but is now gone) I have deleted my post. Thank You for letting me know about the link rule.....
Old 09-03-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Offer Trump blanket immunity since I am betting that he will never be prosecuted and/or convicted. If two impeachments didn't stick, doubt this will either. He will be permanently branded as a traitor, discredited, silenced and hopefully exiled. If not throw the book at him now, raid everyplace he has been to since getting evicted from the WH and hell with the elections. In the end this will only help the Democrats (Independent voters who see them as pandering to the progressive wing) for bringing a traitor to justice.

I am also betting that the missing documents have been given away or sold. Anyone handling extremely important or sensitive documents usually return them to their folders.
tRump shouldn't be the one getting blanket immunity. That should be reserved for someone that rolls over on him. If the documents have "left the country" as some suspect Donny would never burn that bridge. He may need to cross it later on. The two impeachment didn't stick because of the Repub's in the Senate. That cover wouldn't help him in a court of law.
Old 09-03-2022, 03:55 PM

Donny has repeatedly called for lengthy jail sentences for those who he claimed mishandled classified information

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/03/polit...ile/index.html

Are MAGAMorons even capable of recognizing irony? Whell?
Old 09-03-2022, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
tRump shouldn't be the one getting blanket immunity. That should be reserved for someone that rolls over on him. If the documents have "left the country" as some suspect Donny would never burn that bridge. He may need to cross it later on. The two impeachment didn't stick because of the Repub's in the Senate. That cover wouldn't help him in a court of law.
Its the jury, not the court of law that concerns me. And a compliant judiciary will let him delay, delay and delay until the story has been re-written and sanitized. Trump with the help of Federalist Society will go Judge shopping and then file a multiple lawsuits. Look at the havoc he has raised from a legal search and seizure by the FBI and the asshole will get a master to delay weeks if not months.

If he won't burn his benefactors, he won't get his immunity anyway.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Donny has repeatedly called for lengthy jail sentences for those who he claimed mishandled classified information

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/03/polit...ile/index.html

Are MAGAMorons even capable of recognizing irony? Whell?
The MAGA morons think Trump has declassified all of these documents and they are now his presidential papers and personal property.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Hi Bob, since I couldn't find the story again (it was on my browser's homepage this AM, but is now gone) I have deleted my post. Thank You for letting me know about the link rule.....
Bob, I found it and here is the link. From ABC Channel 7 Chicago yet.

VHF channels 2,5 & 7 were CBS, NBC and ABC in Chicago when I lived there.

https://abc7chicago.com/what-are-nat...-fbi/12195116/
Old 09-03-2022, 09:05 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Bob, I found it and here is the link. From ABC Channel 7 Chicago yet.

VHF channels 2,5 & 7 were CBS, NBC and ABC in Chicago when I lived there.

https://abc7chicago.com/what-are-nat...-fbi/12195116/
Thank you my friend
Old 09-03-2022, 10:31 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

According to a former Fox News analyst, former President Donald Trump could be charged with the same crimes that he suggested a National Security Agency whistleblower should be executed for.

"In a monumental irony," former New Jersey Superior Court judge Andrew Napolitano wrote in an op-ed in the New Jersey Herald, both Wikileaks founder Julian Assange and the NSA's Edward Snowden "stand charged with the very same crimes that are likely to be brought against Trump."

"On both Assange and Snowden, Trump argued that they should be executed. Fortunately for all three, these statutes do not provide for capital punishment."

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...analyst-2022-9
Old 09-04-2022, 09:16 AM

Question When is a raid not a raid?

Not from nuthin' but don't raids usually result in someone going to jail?
Asking for a friend