Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post

I'm more worried about getting mugged by Tony Tiger than by "A champion" from Wheaties.

And Exxon Mobil offered to give me 10c/gal off for life as long as I continue to doubt the CO2 theory of Global Warming.. I'd say Marylander ought to just give up his principles and start taking the corporate bribes..
Oh they don't bribe voters, just politicians, and thanks to SCOTUS it is all perfectly legal, they just call it lobbying.

My wife gets as much as $1.80 off at Shell.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Oh they don't bribe voters, just politicians, and thanks to SCOTUS it is all perfectly legal, they just call it lobbying.

My wife gets as much as $1.80 off at Shell.
THAT'S the spirit.. Now we know what the price of your vote is...

Without SCOTUS -- explain to me how it's IMPOSSIBLE to buy EXISTING politicians after the election madness.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:01 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
THAT'S the spirit.. Now we know what the price of your vote is...

Without SCOTUS -- explain to me how it's IMPOSSIBLE to buy EXISTING politicians after the election madness.
We get the discount because the Giant supermarket did a deal with Shell, all perfectly legal and no bribery involved.

With regard to the SCOTUS decision that lobbying is covered by the first amendment it was totally wrong and only happened because most Americans do not understand English. The Consitution begins "We the people of these United States . . . " hence any reference to "people" thereafter refers to a U.S Citizen. The "redress for greivances" is a post facto function, the government has to have done something for you to have a greivance. So "petition" does not mean Prince Dicky inviting all the energy companies into the Whitehouse to write the enegy bill. Lastly if lobbying is based on the First Amendment rights of "we the people" how come some lobbyists petition the governmment on behalf of foreign nations and it is allowed?

Lobbying is outlawed in most civilized countries.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
We get the discount because the Giant supermarket did a deal with Shell, all perfectly legal and no bribery involved.

With regard to the SCOTUS decision that lobbying is covered by the first amendment it was totally wrong and only happened because most Americans do not understand English. The Consitution begins "We the people of these United States . . . " hence any reference to "people" thereafter refers to a U.S Citizen. The "redress for greivances" is a post facto function, the government has to have done something for you to have a greivance. So "petition" does not mean Prince Dicky inviting all the energy companies into the Whitehouse to write the enegy bill. Lastly if lobbying is based on the First Amendment rights of "we the people" how come some lobbyists petition the governmment on behalf of foreign nations and it is allowed?

Lobbying is outlawed in most civilized countries.
Certainly -- you're not gonna wait for the Government to destroy your industry BEFORE you demand redress??? All that semantical parsing begs the point that since we've ceded the powers to govt to rescue your competition, place bets on favorable industries, write 20 pages of regs on frozen green peas, etc, etc --- you MUST have a presence in lobbying for self-defense. Ask MicroSoft how they learned to be politically savvy.

Why do foreigners do it? For the same reasons.. Because it's a freakin candy store. The ENTIRE COMMERCE dept is there to strike deals between US industry and foreign entities. Showering both sides with generous loans, subsidies and incentives. It's how we're paying for South America to develop THEIR oil reserves for example..

Stop handing out the candy and the lobbying dissappears. You -- just have cause and effect bass-ackwards..
Old 11-02-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
This landed in my mail box. Excellent article on our historic divisiveness in elections:
Same thing happened to me.

I thought it was an interesting article and thought about posting it here...then I decided what's the point.

Chas
Old 11-03-2012, 09:44 PM

And the big wheel just keeps a spinning. Just like it always has.

Chas