Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Finn, the average Brit. We had numbers for extended stays as I was growing up, the info from my mother (who died an English citizen), the input of my Grandmother (who was here a lot), and my experience in England (that I love).

I have little to no knowledge of Germans, I'll take your word for it

Pete
Old 04-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Finn, the average Brit. We had numbers for extended stays as I was growing up, the info from my mother (who died an English citizen), the input of my Grandmother (who was here a lot), and my experience in England (that I love).

I have little to no knowledge of Germans, I'll take your word for it

Pete
For sure, the "average" American knows more about America than the average Brit or German (and vice versa, of course).

OTOH, the average Brit or German knows more about America than the average American knows about either of those countries and knows more about world history/current affairs than the average American.

For a modern, First World country, America is about as insular as it gets (though Britain ain't far behind in this area). Heck, the guy who impresses me most with his knowledge of American history on this forum is a Canuck.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Resident octogenarian

Not since 1931, since 1867 when it actually became Canada.

As to our defending England - from what? Since the EU the chances of war breaking out in Europe are about 0.01%.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
For sure, the "average" American knows more about America than the average Brit or German (and vice versa, of course).

OTOH, the average Brit or German knows more about America than the average American knows about either of those countries and knows more about world history/current affairs than the average American.

For a modern, First World country, America is about as insular as it gets (though Britain ain't far behind in this area). Heck, the guy who impresses me most with his knowledge of American history on this forum is a Canuck.
Agreed, they pay greater attention (are England and Germany still countries? :headsmack: ).

I suppose what I mean is even most of the smarter ones don't (and can hardly be expected to) understand American culture, and how it effects, heck, everything So their view of us is still skewed, even if they know what we're doing. Plus if they want to be 'on top', as it were, they'd better do something different, if you know what I mean. It's easy to armchair quarterback. Germany's bruhaha over accepting a gitmo detainee is a good example.

Agreed, our friend from the north sure puts the Red Green stereotype to the test

Curious Rob, what do you think of that show?

Pete
Old 04-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Not since 1931, since 1867 when it actually became Canada.
Great Britain still maintained control of Canada's foreign affairs, under the Confederation Act, until 1931. So, Canada was "Canada" in 1867, in the same manner that Puerto Rico is "Puerto Rico," now.

Noted.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Resident octogenarian

If you are referring Wm. McKenzie King and Lord Byng, you will note that I do not use his portrait as my avatar, he was a bit of a wing nut. That was really a tempest in a tea pot and Britain had no realistic control.

King used to buy ruins and have them erected on his estate in the Gatineaus, we were never certain that he was all there. I believe he used to 'communiicate' with his mother's ghost. His final nose thumb at Westminster was to declare war on the Axis on Sept 10 1939, one day after the rest of the Commonwealth.

It is funny haoww everyone believed frex that Canada had no 'constitution' because the BNA act still resided in Westminster. It was simply a formality and required provincial agreement to patriate it, but as far as day to day matters were concerned it did not really matter worth a hoot.

Last edited by merrylander; 04-20-2010 at 07:53 AM.