Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:27 PM

There is no solution to the problem. Americans are never going to give up their weapons. It is too ingrained in our culture. If I could wave my magic wand I would make revolvers and pistols controlled, and allow of course rifles and shotguns for the normal everyday person who likes to shoot and go hunting. Automatic and semi automatic weapons would be illegal except for the police and Armed Forces.

Of course a person would still be able to massacre people with a rifle but at least the weapon would not be concealed so everyone has more of a heads up.

The fact remains anyone can do a three day waiting test, purchase a weapon, and kill anyone they want. The police are not clairvoyant. They only clean up the mess afterwards.

Congress will not even deal with the debt ceiling so anyone who is worried about new gun legislation should rest easy.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:40 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Why don't you go milk a snake.

Regards,

D-Ray
I thought of two or three things I could say in reply, but all were off the topic of the thread and I'm sure my wife would not have approved at all,() so I'll bow out now!
Old 12-15-2012, 07:21 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
At least some one is looking over your shoulder, JJ. We all might be a little bit more polite if our SO's were doin' such for us.
That's why they call them "The better half".
Old 12-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
I thought of two or three things I could say in reply, but all were off the topic of the thread and I'm sure my wife would not have approved at all,() so I'll bow out now!
Hey, I'm not the one who brought up the topic of yanking anything other than a chain.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-15-2012, 08:25 PM
reflexionar

Had to go out with the wife today. I must say it was nice to come in and see a lot of posts and nobody really getting nasty with each other. I also didn't want to turn the school shooting thread into this thread. All in all I'm quite pleased with the results so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Marc, I find it interesting that you are not a hunter and do not keep the firearms in your possession. That leaves me with the question of what is your actual interest in the guns. Do you still enjoy shooting them? Do you appreciate them for their design? The analogy I might make - weak as it is - is that even though I don't sew, I bought an old sewing machine at a garage sale because I was fascinated by how well constructed it was and by the precision with which it ran.

I would also ask anyone where one might draw the line for the type of weapons which individuals might be allowed to own? Is there strong opposition to restrictions on private ownership of machine guns or bazookas? Would it be practical for there to be highly regulated repositories for automatic weapons, including machine guns, for those who would want to have the experience of shooting them?

Regards,

D-Ray
I don't have guns in my house specifically for the sake of my granddaughter. She comes over to visit often, sometimes for extended visits, and if something happened to her through an error in judgement or some other brain fart I don't think I could forgive myself. Guns have an appeal to me akin to muscle cars, but guns are easier and less expensive to play with. At the risk of setting off another storm, I find automobiles and guns share a lot in common, especially with their appeal to men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Seems simple enough to me.

No semi automatics, one revolver, one rifle and one shot gun legal with registration.
Not that simple. I don't feel I have too many guns, but as i stated before, I do have a variety. If I chose to keep my .357 revolver, my 7mm rifle, and my 12 ga shotgun, I would sorely miss my little 22 auto pistol. Fun and inexpensive to play with, but not as practical as the bigger gun for protection. I would also really miss my Marlin 1894C. That is probably my funnest gun to shoot, although it gets expensive in a hurry anymore, even if I load my own rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Not low brass field loads and/or a 20 gauge, which are more than enough to dissuade a perp (if the racking action of the pump shotgun isn't enough already).
I think I would rather have the 1894C hanging around versus a shotgun. The lever action can be as much a deterrent as a pump.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Area Man

Not saying this necessarily applies to you, but;

If one feels that he doesn't have too many, or what he has isn't over the top, then, therefore, he doesn't and it isn't?

Interesting comment from a philosophical standpoint.
"I don't feel as though I have engaged in excess, therefore I haven't."

Oh, and what you said about guns and cars.....

I believe it's the badass factor, that could be applied to a number of things;
Powerful guns, fast cars, women with huge bazongas, big speakers and powerful amps.
Pick your poison, one, some or all.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 12-15-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:46 PM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Not saying this necessarily applies to you, but;

If one feels that he doesn't have too many, or what he has isn't over the top, then, therefore, he doesn't and it isn't?

Interesting comment from a philosophical standpoint.
"I don't feel as though I have engaged in excess, therefore I haven't."

Oh, and what you said about guns and cars.....

I believe it's the badass factor, that could be applied to a number of things;
Powerful guns, fast cars, girlfriend with huge bazongas, big speakers and powerful amps.
Pick your poison, one, some or all.

Regards,
Dave
Funny the context you put that in. I do feel I have too much audio equipment. A Thorens TD145 and a RekOKut R33 with an Empire 98 arm. Gotta have one for MM and one for MC, right? Kind of like using a small caliber for cheap plinking with pop cans or teaching a kid to shoot, but also having a large caliber for defense and maybe shooting a gallon jug full of water.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post

The fact remains anyone can do a three day waiting test, purchase a weapon, and kill anyone they want. The police are not clairvoyant. They only clean up the mess afterwards.

Congress will not even deal with the debt ceiling so anyone who is worried about new gun legislation should rest easy.
But that won't stop an asshole like Bloomberg, or Limbaugh for that matter, from politicizing the work of a lone nut case. The culture of violence put forth and wrongly idolized by the same vehemently antigun zealots, Hollywood, is more responisble than access to firearms. Also, in the Sandy Brook case, the guns, by most reports, belonged to the mother and were legally obtained by a presumably sane person. Legalizing drugs, thus lowering gang activity, would likely decrease firearm homicides more than restricting gun availability and would have the side benefit of actually increasing individual choice and freedom.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:59 PM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
But that won't stop an asshole like Bloomberg, or Limbaugh for that matter, from politicizing the work of a lone nut case. The culture of violence put forth and wrongly idolized by the same vehemently antigun zealots, Hollywood, is more responisble than access to firearms. Also, in the Sandy Brook case, the guns, by most reports, belonged to the mother and were legally obtained by a presumably sane person. Legalizing drugs, thus lowering gang activity, would likely decrease firearm homicides more than restricting gun availability and would have the side benefit of actually increasing individual choice and freedom.
So we should censor Hollywood and free speech/expression and legalize drugs to keep people from killing each other? There's an avenue I didn't foresee.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Japanese movies,tv and comics are much more violent than Hollywood...have you seen some of the Manga(?) books? Yet the murder rate by handgun is very very miniscule. Your argument is a spurious correlation.