Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-30-2023, 10:56 AM

Need advice about my car

I hope you guys do not mind me asking for advice about cars. I have been contemplating selling the car I have but not sure if I should. It is expensive to maintain and I just put some serious money into it last month. On the other hand the car is all paid off. I am the second owner of the car and it has always been worked on at the dealership. If I buy another car which would be used am I just buying someone elses problems? I know absolutely nothing about cars.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:04 AM
Ready

Please tell is model, year and mileage. Also, how many miles do you drive each year?

If it is a good quality car with not too many miles even some repairs every year will be cheaper than car payments, that's how I basically look at it.

I'm sorry to have to say that many shops see someone who defines themselves as 'knowing absolutely nothing about cars' as money walking in the door. Paying top dollar for dealer maintenance is, alas, no guarantee of honest service. You might decide to learn about vehicles and change your self-definition, and that can be done more easily now than ever, thanks to You-Tube. Or you need a more-knowledgeable person to go to service providers with you. Major expensive repairs require more than one estimate unless you're dealing with a provider who has previously earned your trust.

Last edited by donquixote99; 03-30-2023 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:07 AM
Admin

One thing I can think of is to find a shop/mechanic you can trust. Then insist that you be allowed to have the car looked at by your mechanic. That should save you from an outright rip off.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:12 AM

Dealerships are going to be the most expensive option for maintenance. If you can find a good independent shop you can easily cut repair bills in half.

My thinking is that new cars are so freaking expensive that a used car *that you like* and whose history you know can be the best choice.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:15 AM

It is a 2012 BMW M3. I do not know how many miles it has but the guys at the dealership tell me it has incredibly low mileage. I drive a few blocks to the grocery store and doctor appointments and every now and then I drive to the next town over to see a friend.

I trust the guys at the dealership as they have been very helpful. But I know their job is to sell cars so I consider that too.

Thank you for the advice.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:17 AM

Need advice about my car

I did not know dealerships were more expensive for maintenance!
Old 03-30-2023, 11:27 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
It is a 2012 BMW M3. I do not know how many miles it has but the guys at the dealership tell me it has incredibly low mileage. I drive a few blocks to the grocery store and doctor appointments and every now and then I drive to the next town over to see a friend.

I trust the guys at the dealership as they have been very helpful. But I know their job is to sell cars so I consider that too.

Thank you for the advice.
I'd say all the lights are green for keeping that car. It's high quality, low mileage, and you don't drive it much. Trading your car in for a 2018 BMW M3 will (depending on several things) give you a car payment of $400 a month or more for 3 years or more.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:29 AM

I can't speak to that year and model but my 1999 E46 BMW can be serviced locally by at least 4 independent shops within 6 miles of me (lots of BMWs around here). Mine has 177k miles and can hardly even hear the engine when it's running.

Some guy told me that he had one like mine that had over 300k miles when his wife made him trade it in on something newer.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:31 AM

Thank you all for your help. You have given me much to think about.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
..... I do not know how many miles it has but the guys at the dealership tell me it has incredibly low mileage......
Is the odometer broken? And if so, how can the dealership attest to the incredibly low mileage?