Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Conspiracy theory corner
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:51 PM

Just a quick Q. Why do people keep conflating riots with protesting? Have there not been protests happening for the last week or so, even around the world, without violence? I mean I know the media doesn't like to cover that but they are there. Also, shooting someone in the back just because he got away from you is just wrong.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:17 PM
Ready

Truth is the first casualty.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:09 AM
Rational Anarchist

Although protests can and do turn into riots.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Although protests can and do turn into riots.
Italics added by me.
There you go conflating the two. How many of the nation wide protests have turned into riots in the last seven to ten days? How many of the protests occurring around the globe for the same time period have turned into riots? Don't think for a minute I'm denying the riots. There are always those who are opportunists seeking to lash out, cause destruction or simply see a chance to get something for free but these people are not protesters.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
Italics added by me.
There you go conflating the two. How many of the nation wide protests have turned into riots in the last seven to ten days? How many of the protests occurring around the globe for the same time period have turned into riots? Don't think for a minute I'm denying the riots. There are always those who are opportunists seeking to lash out, cause destruction or simply see a chance to get something for free but these people are not protesters.
You're thinking of the word 'conflate' wrong, maybe...
con·flate
/kənˈflāt/
verb

conflating: combine (two or more texts, ideas, etc.) into one.

"the urban crisis conflates a number of different economic and social issues"

You're saying we are hyping it up, just like I say you're down playing what the guy did to get shot in the back.

Last edited by BigElCat; 06-18-2020 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:26 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
Italics added by me.
Actually, that's bold text you used and like BigElCat just pointed out, you appear to be confused regarding the meaning of conflate.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:36 AM
Rational Anarchist

Regarding Destabilization

The current destabilization going on here nowadays is due to Corona. I don't think the BLM reaction to Floyd's death by police would be occurring without Corona, as NI pointed out in another thread. There already is one good result from the protests and riots though. Further removal of monuments glorifying the lost cause rebels.

Last edited by nailer; 06-18-2020 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:29 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigElCat View Post
con·flate
/kənˈflāt/
verb

You're saying we are hyping it up, just like I say you're down playing what the guy did to get shot in the back.
So you think there's something that can be up-played enough to justify shooting Rayshard Brooks in the back?
Old 06-18-2020, 02:53 PM

I was referencing what I already said..

Quote:
The BLM movement is not helping me transcend any racist ideation I may have. Look at the 'triggers' for the riots, going back to Rodney King. They've all been spark by some Black dude breaking the law and resisting arrest. Even the shooting at the Atlanta Wendy's looks justified to me.

Using the cop's taser against the cop, it could have easily put his life in jeopardy. If the taser had caught him, the dude could have doubled back in a split second and taken the cop's Glock.
I guess they could have let him run away, and tried to locate him later. This incident was not nearly as unjustified as the 2017 Minneapolis killing of that Australian woman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...%20her%20house.

Here's a look at Rayshard Brook's take down...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rayshard-...120347050.html

Last edited by BigElCat; 06-18-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
con·flate
/kənˈflāt/
verb

Conflating protests and riots into one and the same. Nailer didn't say protests can turn into riots. He didn't say protests do turn into riots. He said protests can and do turn into riots. A riot and a protest are separate things. Sure there have been rioters in with protests waiting for the opportunity to riot but they aren't really protesters to begin with. Maybe I'm a little touchy having been in several protests that began and ended peacefully.
On the subject of the shooting I just wonder when I see instances like that and people say deadly force is justified and then see ones like this
https://www.facebook.com/iAMSTEVEJON...743104796/?t=3