reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
I thought you would have used this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJdWPSwSOLw
Old 07-21-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
If they are doing so well then they ought to be able to build their own goddamned new stadium with their own goddamn money.

Precisely. Is this not a case of government intervention in a private enterprise?
Good knowledge on the luxury box customers getting a sales tax exemption in FL as this really bothers me. In CA we pay sales tax on used goods (when purchased from a retailer or if you want to declare it ) and this irks me since the government has already been paid once. DMV makes a killing on used cars.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
Precisely. Is this not a case of government intervention in a private enterprise?
Good knowledge on the luxury box customers getting a sales tax exemption in FL as this really bothers me. In CA we pay sales tax on used goods (when purchased from a retailer or if you want to declare it ) and this irks me since the government has already been paid once. DMV makes a killing on used cars.

Sounds like jack booted government thugs picking winners and losers ala Solyndra.

Sorry Mike but the Stanley Cup is staying in Los Angeles.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post

Sorry Mike but the Stanley Cup is staying in Los Angeles.
For now. We'll let you left coasties borrow it for a little while.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
If they are doing so well then they ought to be able to build their own goddamned new stadium with their own goddamn money.
So I take it you didn't bother to read the article I posted, as evidenced by the above post. Typical

Let me help you a bit.

A 2013 deal between the Ilitches, through their Olympia Development of Michigan, and the city’s Downtown Development Authority to build the arena at the largely vacant and blighted area of Woodward at I-75 obligated the family to spend at least $200 million in ancillary development within five years of the venue’s opening.

But the Ilitches are accelerating that timeline, and upping the ante.

The Ilitches, the Little Caesars pizza chain founders who have owned the hockey team since 1982, told Crain’s last week that their construction timeline has been radically moved forward so the investment can have a maximum catalytic impact for the city.

“We think the impact on our community will be exponential if it’s all done at once,” said Chris Ilitch, president and CEO of Ilitch Holdings and son of Red Wings owners Mike and Marian Ilitch. “This project takes on a much bigger scale. There is nothing like this going on in our country.”

Ilitch said cost isn’t the first consideration as the planning has evolved for a project with a very large vision for the whole entertainment district.

“This is more than a development; this is our passion,” he said.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
For now. We'll let you left coasties borrow it for a little while.
You'll have to beat the Blackhawks first.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Banned

With the exception of the real estate tax deal Reinsdorf and his partners got from the city, and the cost to the city to improve streets and other infrastructure around the area...the United Center was totally privately financed. Reinsdorf and his partners put up 20% of the $175 million themselves bank loans covered the other 80%. And they get a little less than $2 million a year from United Airlines for the naming rights.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
So I take it you didn't bother to read the article I posted, as evidenced by the above post. Typical

Let me help you a bit.

A 2013 deal between the Ilitches, through their Olympia Development of Michigan, and the city’s Downtown Development Authority to build the arena at the largely vacant and blighted area of Woodward at I-75 obligated the family to spend at least $200 million in ancillary development within five years of the venue’s opening.

But the Ilitches are accelerating that timeline, and upping the ante.

The Ilitches, the Little Caesars pizza chain founders who have owned the hockey team since 1982, told Crain’s last week that their construction timeline has been radically moved forward so the investment can have a maximum catalytic impact for the city.

“We think the impact on our community will be exponential if it’s all done at once,” said Chris Ilitch, president and CEO of Ilitch Holdings and son of Red Wings owners Mike and Marian Ilitch. “This project takes on a much bigger scale. There is nothing like this going on in our country.”

Ilitch said cost isn’t the first consideration as the planning has evolved for a project with a very large vision for the whole entertainment district.

“This is more than a development; this is our passion,” he said.
One of your more rational contributions, interesting.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2014, 06:16 PM
Koch-Teapublican

This is what the "D" needs.

Obviously some of you posting don't know the Ilitch's and the family commitment to Detroit.

"The project, expected to be completed in the summer of 2017, is expected to generate at least $1.8 billion in total economic impact, 8,300 construction and construction-related jobs and 1,100 permanent jobs.

"It's always been my dream to see a vibrant and energized downtown Detroit," Ilitch said in a statement. "I want people to look at Detroit's new sports and entertainment district and see what I see: the potential for something very special."

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/d..._mike_i_2.html

Last edited by JBS...; 07-21-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:27 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBS... View Post
This is what the "D" needs.

Obviously some of you posting don't know the Ilitch's and the family commitment to Detroit.

"The project, expected to be completed in the summer of 2017, is expected to generate at least $1.8 billion in total economic impact, 8,300 construction and construction-related jobs and 1,100 permanent jobs.

"It's always been my dream to see a vibrant and energized downtown Detroit," Ilitch said in a statement. "I want people to look at Detroit's new sports and entertainment district and see what I see: the potential for something very special."

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/d..._mike_i_2.html
That's what any good PR person would say when courting the city/state for money. The results remain to be seen. I hope for the sake of Detroit that they are widely successful. The city needs it desperately. The track record of such endeavors is decidedly mixed, at best (from the municipality's POV).