Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
View Poll Results: How likely is it that the Republicans will win?
100% They will definitely win. 1 4.76%
90% 1 4.76%
80% 1 4.76%
60-70% 4 19.05%
50% 1 4.76%
40% 6 28.57%
30% 2 9.52%
20% 2 9.52%
10% 1 4.76%
0% They will definitely lose. 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2011, 05:45 AM

How likely is it that the Republicans will win the next Presidential Election?

In my opinion, it will never happen.

All the symptoms of a losing party are there. Negative campaigns. A divided and polarized base. Radical candidates.

Its all already going wrong for the Republican Party and, even though the election is quite a while away, I can pretty much predict with 100% certainty that they will lose the Presidential Election.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:41 AM

I would agree, except that it is still a long ways out. A lot can happen between then and now.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Area Man

I think their chances are better than you, as a reasonable human being, might realize, Karl. There are far too many people on this side of the pond who see the presence of right wing radicals in the campaign as a good thing. That it isn't possible for a right-winger to be too radical.

(And, I'm sure a few of them will be along in a moment.)

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 07-24-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I'd put it at about 40% once the smoke clears and the GOP nominates Romney. At that point, they can spend a year or so rebuilding their reputation away from its current rampant looniness.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Resident octogenarian

The next ten hours will tell, at the moment the GOP is circling the bowl.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:31 AM

I'm at 40%, but the idiocy of the republicans can easily change this. Despite the poor job that Obama has done, the incumbent usually has a much better chance of getting reelected. I just noticed that Obama has lost 5-8 points of his base voters and has already chased away a significant number of independents. Significantly, the loss was across age groups.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Jigsawed

They will lose if white middle class Americans realise that they are wittingly or unwittingly the prime target of the repubs.

Last edited by Dondilion; 07-24-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I think their chances are might be better than you, as a reasonable human being, might realize, Karl. There are far too many people on this side of the pond who see the presence of right wing radicals in the campaign as a good thing. That it isn't possible for a right-winger to be too radical.

(And, I'm sure a few of them will be along in a moment.)

Dave

You are absolutely RIGHT ON Blue Streak! I have only to judge by what I hear from seniors on a fixed income. We are the fastest growing population and what I hear... is shameful!!
No COL increase for two years...you've seen the cost of everything increase for yourself. Gas prices alone I wonder what rock these individuals have been living under???

Last edited by painter; 07-24-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Area Man

I don't know what to tell you, Painter. And, I'd be willing to bet the "fixed income" most of those folks are on is, at least in part----Social Security. But, these same people are saying we need to balance the budget and stop "People who just sit around and get a check from the government from stealing anymore money from our grandchildren.". Right? And, who would that be? Elderly people on a "fixed income", perhaps?

I like the "generational theft" spin. That truly is top notch propaganda right there, I gotta hand it to them. It's usually accompanied by images of babies. Someone who has worked hard all of their lives and put money into SS for 40-50 years, is-----Stealing food out of the mouths of babies. You heard me right, that is the inference,..... OMG, THEY'RE STEALING FROM BABIES!!!! Oh, the horror of it!

Here's my take.

My taxes helped pay for the Medicare that funded my mothers care right up to the last minute of her life. And, I don't care that the same is being done for others. (After the private insurance system dumped her, because she was cutting into their profits.) My taxes also paid her SS. She, as many women in her generation, was a traditional housewife. She had seven children and stayed home to raise us. And, I don't care that my taxes are also going to other elderly women in the same situation.

My father didn't have to use Medicare (AFAIK), because of a contractual agreement between his union and his employer. He had BC/BS, up to the day he died. He collected SS, but then he also contributed into it for over fifty years.

Were my parents "thieves", Painter?

Are you?

Am I?

I work, always have, and will as long as I still can. When the day comes that must stop working, will I be a "thief" for expecting to collect my SS, even if it costs the working generation as my parents generation cost me?

Nope. I think my parents earned it. I think you probably earned it. And I believe I will have earned it, when the time comes.

I also believe there is something other than a concern over "generational theft" at play here. Something that stinks.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 07-24-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:23 PM

I think a lamp could beat Obama in 2012. "It's the economy stupid"