Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:19 AM

Shocking Piece Of U.S. History Revealed

"Today a former US Treasury official revealed to King World News a shocking piece of U.S. history that you will never read in books. This is an astonishing interview, where Dr. Paul Craig Roberts openly discusses being part of a “secret committee” that was formed by then President Reagan. People wonder, what really happened at a key moment in history? Well, you are about to find out the truth of one incredibly important piece of world history.

"Eric King: “Dr. Roberts, you had predicted the economic collapse of the Soviet Union. The CIA missed it (made the opposite prediction) and asked you to come and speak with them, is that right?”

Roberts: “Yes, that’s true. When the Soviet Union collapsed I was invited to come to the CIA and explain to them why they had gotten it so wrong. The difference with the CIA dated back to the Reagan years. After Reagan got the economy on its feet again with his supply-side policy, he then focused on ending the Cold War. He wanted to end it, not win it....
http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2014...ruary-24-2014/

“His approach was to first cure our economy so it would show the Russians that we were out of this stagflation mess. They (Russia) still had their problems but we were back on our feet.
Once they saw that, they would believe that the pressures that he kept threatening to put on them of a new arms race, of SDI (Strategic Defense Initiative) -- you may remember Star Wars -- none of this actually happened. It was all Reagan propaganda to make the communists in the Soviet Union agree to negotiate to end the war, rather than to be drawn into an arms race that their economy, at the time, was no longer able to sustain.

So that was Reagan’s approach. The CIA kept telling Reagan, ‘Oh, no, don’t threaten the Soviets with an arms race. They will win!’ And Reagan couldn’t believe this. Of course my book, published in 1971, 10 years prior to Reagan coming into the presidency, had concluded the Soviet economy had already failed.

Reagan was aware of that (book), so when I left the Treasury he appointed me to a secret committee that had subpoena power over the CIA, and we were told to evaluate the CIA’s conclusion that the Soviets would win an arms race.

The main argument they (the CIA) had was that the Soviet Union could control investment, and therefore could put whatever percentage of the Soviet economy was necessary into the military in order to prevail over the United States in an arms race. Whereas the American people wouldn’t stand for some unlimited amount of resources diverted into the Pentagon’s budget. So that was the CIA’s position.

I don’t know whether they sincerely believed that or whether they just didn’t want the Cold War to end. They had a lot of power and influence because of the Cold War and that would take a back seat if there was no longer a Soviet threat. And of course the entire military-security complex made billions of dollars out of the Cold War and the Soviet threat. So they didn’t want it to end either.

So Reagan was really up against the entire establishment on that. Many of the Republicans themselves thought he shouldn’t be negotiating with Gorbachev because Gorbachev was one of those sneaky Communists, and Reagan was just an old man and the Communists would take advantage of him -- suck him into some kind of agreement that would end up with the Soviets winning.

So this was the whole milieu at the time when Reagan was trying to end the Cold War. And the committee that he appointed me to, we concluded that the CIA was wrong. People took my position in the committee. And this would be an effective threat on the part of Reagan to put pressure on the Communist Party of the Soviet Union to negotiate the end of the war, and it worked! And that’s what happened. So that’s that story.”

I wonder if President Obama can win a poker hand with Putin? Doubtful.

Last edited by Samm; 03-01-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Area Man

So, the MIC was (is) corrupt and didn't really want the Cold War to go away, their careers and fortunes depend(ed) on it. Reagan realized this obvious fact* and chose to ignore them, instead sticking the already dying pig in the neck anyways, thus ending the Cold War.

Whoop-de-doo.

What does any of this have to do with current events? Are you saying the conflict between Russia and the Ukraine is a sign that the USSR has returned?

(*Unlike modern day Conservatives.)

Dave
Old 03-01-2014, 11:14 AM

You seem to be completely unaware that you are in the "history" section.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm View Post
"a shocking piece of U.S. history that you will never read in books.
I'll bet it's not sold in stores either!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFugZm6TWzk

Last edited by Tom Joad; 03-01-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

From the top of the King World News website:

© 2014 by King World News®. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. However, linking directly to the blog page is permitted and encouraged.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
From the top of the King World News website:

© 2014 by King World News®. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. However, linking directly to the blog page is permitted and encouraged.

http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=19
Copyright:
Copyright infringement is illegal. Politicalchat.org will enforce the law. Please do not post an article in its entirety. When posting copyrighted material, please use small sections or link to the article. When posting copyrighted material you must give credit to the author in your post. You are responsible for including links/credit, regardless of how you originally came across the material.

I guess the rules don't apply in Spamm's universe?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:11 PM

Bawahahaaaaaaaa!

Old 03-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Jigsawed

And of course it is all bullshit.

The USSR break up because Gorbie wanted it so.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
And of course it is all bullshit.

The USSR break up because Gorbie wanted it so.
You mean that you don't believe that St. Ronnie Rayguns of RKO didn't tear down the Berlin Wall singlehandedly and rout the godless commies with his steeley eyed gaze alone?

Yeh, me either.

Poor Gobachev got sandbagged in Reykjavik as I recall.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm View Post
You seem to be completely unaware that you are in the "history" section.
No, you're the one who took a jab at Obama at the end of the OP. Seeing as how President Obama currently holds office................

Dave