Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:06 AM

Revolvers rifles, and shotguns come in many different varieties. Single shot double action semi auto full auto..

Single shot require the act of cocking the hammer clearing when chambering the next round each time. Double action the pulling of the trigger is all that is needed to fire the next round. Revolvers do this thru a mechanical physical action by the operator. A automatic pistol thru the actions of the firing a round doing the work of loading and cocking the hammer. Full auto operates the same with the exception that continues firing as long as the trigger in pulled back.

For me a auto loader is one with a mag and action that loads a round from to a firing position with each shot. Expelling the spent round in the process.
Old 06-05-2022, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Revolvers are not considered auto-loading firearms. The long trigger pull of double-action pistols and the need to rotate the cylinder by cocking the hammer on single-action renders it so. Moreover, revolvers require manual ejection of spent casings and manual reloading of new cartridges (and won't accommodate spare magazines).
Whether revolvers are considered to be auto-loading or not depends on who you're talking to. There plenty of us who consider a weapon that fires a round with every trigger pull as auto-loading. In the hands of a skilled person six-shot revolver can unload it's six rounds just as fast as a Glock with six rounds left in the magazine.

Those of us who want this carnage to stop, want handguns outlawed as well. Why all handguns? Because they're auto-loading firearms. Because a six-shot Smith & Wesson 686 .357 can kill six kids just as fast as a Glock.

And BTW - there have been cases in school shootings where the parents could not identify their dead child at the hospital and ID had to be done by DNA because the child was so disfigured by the head wounds.

Quote:
Several of the victims inside a fourth-grade class at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, were so badly shot up that DNA samples were required to identify them in a process that took many harrowing hours, a local official said.
This sick fucking shit has to stop. Possession of auto-loading rifles and hand guns (including revolvers), by civilians needs to be outlawed.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 06-05-2022 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-05-2022, 09:41 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Whether revolvers are considered to be auto-loading or not depends on who you're talking to. There plenty of us who consider a weapon that fires a round with every trigger pull as auto-loading. In the hands of a skilled person six-shot revolver can unload it's six rounds just as fast as a Glock with six rounds left in the magazine.

Those of us who want this carnage to stop, want handguns outlawed as well. Why all handguns? Because they're auto-loading firearms. Because a six-shot Smith & Wesson 686 .357 can kill six kids just as fast as a Glock.

And BTW - there have been cases in school shootings where the parents could not identify their dead child at the hospital and ID had to be done by DNA because the child was so disfigured by the head wounds.

This sick fucking shit has to stop. Possession of auto-loading rifles and hand guns (including revolvers), by civilians needs to be outlawed.
I too want comprehensive gun safety reform, but that standing doesn't confer semi-automatic (i.e., auto-loading) status to a revolver. A revolver is a revolver. Similarly, a pump shotgun is not a semi-automatic shotgun, even though it is equally as effective as an autoloader (or more so because it is less prone to jamming, particularly when mixing high and low brass loads).

Mixing up terms and demonstrating limited firearms knowledge provides ammunition (excuse the pun) to gun rights advocates who say that gun control advocates don't understand what it is they want to regulate.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Pardon me for leaving the rest of your post out but I had to make a point with the last part. We need to start treating guns like the rest of the civilized world does. You know, the parts that don't have the gun lobby and the NRA making decisions for politicians. Sadly this may not happen unless we flush what the Republican party has become from our political system.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:16 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Here's a thoughtful piece on how gun ownership has gone from personal safety to gun idolatry, from self-defense to defiance against government and society.
https://frenchpress.thedispatch.com/...t-gun-idolatry
Old 06-05-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
If being hard pressed to justify VR-82 ownership, being OK with DDM4 ownership is inane.
Good point. I've been considering buying an AR-15.

I'm going to hold off at this juncture.

I do wish you'd be more willing to learn about firearm definitions. What Finn, Don, and I have been saying could help your cause in promoting gun control.

It's the ignorance the anti-gun side presents that dies me nuts. Uncle Joe's "blow your lungs out" rhetoric is too off-base.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Don't over-look the fact the parents were in a state of shock, and denial.

'This can't possibly be my child...my child was alive and well when she went to school'. The parent can't stand to look at them after they die a violent death. It's not so much the child was blown to pieces.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:23 PM
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Mixing up terms and demonstrating limited firearms knowledge provides ammunition (excuse the pun) to gun rights advocates who say that gun control advocates don't understand what it is they want to regulate.
Arrogance demonstrates all sorts of limited knowledge. You have an opinion, as do I. Opinions are like assholes...everybody's got one.

Limited firearms knowledge didn't allow me to be a Marine Corps rifle expert. Limited firearms knowledge didn't allow me to shoot 100%, 10 for 10, in the silhouette from 500 yards through a peep sight. Limited firearms knowledge didn't allow me to be recruited for USMC Scout Sniper School. Limited knowledge did not cause me to say...yeah, well, thanks, but no thanks.

When the bad guys ask me why I want revolver possession outlawed, my answer is...because it's a dangerous auto-loading firearm...good for nuthin' but put a man six feet in a hole.

PS - auto-loading has nothing to do with how fast empty brass comes out of the gun and everything to do with how fast a new round goes in to the firing chamber position.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 06-05-2022 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-05-2022, 01:11 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Limited firearms knowledge didn't allow me to be a Marine Corps rifle expert. Limited firearms knowledge didn't allow me to shoot 100%, 10 for 10, in the silhouette from 500 yards through a peep sight. Limited firearms knowledge didn't allow me to be recruited for USMC Scout Sniper School. Limited knowledge did not cause me to say...yeah, well, thanks, but no thanks...

PS - auto-loading has nothing to do with how fast empty brass comes out of the gun and everything to do with how fast a new round goes in to the firing chamber position.
Auto-loading is about both ejecting spent brass and chambering a new round, either by harnessing the energy of recoil or utilizing gas pressure from burning propellant. One would think that a person with your purported firearms experience would know this as and also know that a revolver, a pump shotgun or even a double-barreled shotgun are not considered autoloading firearms by anyone with knowledge of firearms, even if they can shoot multiple rounds quickly (virtually all guns but single-shots can do so). The first revolver predated the first autoloading pistol by nearly 60 years.

You're conflating/confusing the difference between a repeating firearm (anything with a magazine or rotating cylinder) and an auto-loading firearm (one that ejects spent brass and loads a new cartridge subsequent to the discharge of a cartridge). While all auto-loading firearms are repeating firearms, not all repeating firearms are auto-loading firearms.

IMO the only meaningful gun characteristics meaningful to the debate (as opposed to social issues such as age and mental health) are rate of fire, magazine capacity and whether the magazine is removable. All other gun characteristics are irrelevant.

Last edited by finnbow; 06-05-2022 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2022, 03:15 PM

A .223 AR-15 type is imo a poor choice for home defense, compared to a short barrel pump 12 ga shotgun with mini-buckshot shells.