Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-06-2022, 05:12 PM

NY governor signs law raising age to own semiautomatic rifle

https://apnews.com/article/kathy-hoc...de16db47b2bd6e

It's a start. I expect we'll see lots more of these laws in the sensible Blue states. The despicable NRA will fight them tooth and nail, all the way to this heavily politicized SCOTUS, sadly.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
NY governor signs law raising age to own semiautomatic rifle

https://apnews.com/article/kathy-hoc...de16db47b2bd6e

It's a start. I expect we'll see lots more of these laws in the sensible Blue states. The despicable NRA will fight them tooth and nail, all the way to this heavily politicized SCOTUS, sadly.
I would like to be positive about this...but I can't. It's a wad of chewing gum stuffed in a crack in the Hoover Dam.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Oh boy, this shit again.

A friend stated that Switzerland has higher rate of gun ownership than the USA with a much lower gun-related crime rate. I suggested he look that up.......because it's true. But, he also learned that their gun laws are far more strict.

We can have it both ways. We CAN have strict gun control laws AND still have widespread gun ownership. But, we won't because we have too many stooges who've been conditioned to hear "confiscation" every time someone says "control" and they lose their minds every time it happens.

Get used to the slaughter because the American gun people will always argue that they need more guns to protect themselves from all those people with guns out there.....and as usual, will not see the vicious cycle taking place.
The deal with the Swiss, the Canadians, and a few others just proves that Americans are not mature enough for a Second Amendment.

A basic problem with many, if not most Americans, is that we're terminally unique and privileged characters. We want what we want...we want it right this fucking second...and we want somebody else to pay for it. And, in addition to all this fucked up American exceptionalism, we have the pandemic and the mRNA vaccines to thank for our increased awareness of how fucked up in the head so many Americans are about their perceived "rights and freedoms."

Americans have no clue about the historical development of our rights and our freedoms, or that our rights and freedoms come from each other and not from some god or the baby jesus.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 06-07-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2022, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Auto-loading is about both ejecting spent brass and chambering a new round, either by harnessing the energy of recoil or utilizing gas pressure from burning propellant. One would think that a person with your purported firearms experience would know this as and also know that a revolver, a pump shotgun or even a double-barreled shotgun are not considered autoloading firearms by anyone with knowledge of firearms, even if they can shoot multiple rounds quickly (virtually all guns but single-shots can do so). The first revolver predated the first autoloading pistol by nearly 60 years.

You're conflating/confusing the difference between a repeating firearm (anything with a magazine or rotating cylinder) and an auto-loading firearm (one that ejects spent brass and loads a new cartridge subsequent to the discharge of a cartridge). While all auto-loading firearms are repeating firearms, not all repeating firearms are auto-loading firearms.

IMO the only meaningful gun characteristics meaningful to the debate (as opposed to social issues such as age and mental health) are rate of fire, magazine capacity and whether the magazine is removable. All other gun characteristics are irrelevant.
Bullshit semantics.

You have an opinion and I have an opinion. So go ahead and blubber your opinion for a third fucking time. I have better things to do with my life than bickering with you over semantics. But you go on ahead if that's what gets you off.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
Pardon me for leaving the rest of your post out but I had to make a point with the last part. We need to start treating guns like the rest of the civilized world does. You know, the parts that don't have the gun lobby and the NRA making decisions for politicians. Sadly this may not happen unless we flush what the Republican party has become from our political system.

No problem with the snip. And you are absolutely right. We are the only first world nation where our school children have to be taught "run, hide, fight" protocols at home and at school. Where school children go through traumatizing shooting drills at school. It's fucking nuts. And...46+% percent of the people in this country are assholes who continue to vote for Republicans after hundreds of mass shootings which began in 1966...and after an attempt by the Republican Party to overturn the 2020 election. It's fun to blame the politicians, but this shit is on the American people. It's always on the people.

"Every nation has the government it deserves." - Joseph deMaistre

So let's have some more fucking semantics debating on "auto-loading vs repeating" since the country is already fucked beyond repair and none of this shit matters anymore.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 06-07-2022 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigElCat View Post

I do wish you'd be more willing to learn about firearm definitions. What Finn, Don, and I have been saying could help your cause in promoting gun control.
My status as a rifle expert is not in question.

Firearms definitions, like pretty much everything else on this or any other forum are opinions. Opinions that aren't worth a good shit in your MAGA hat. Gun control is bullshit. Background checks are bullshit. Red flag laws are bullshit. Purchase age limits are bullshit. Magazine size is bullshit. Rate of fire is bullshit.

What fucking difference does it make if some pissed off outsider who got bullied by the football jocks in high school walks into a fourth grade classroom and kills seven children with his S & W .357 Model 686 Plus, or kills thirteen children with a Glock G23. In the grand scheme of things...no fucking difference.

It's still a slaughter and the blood is on the hands of every American for doing fucking nothing about it.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 06-07-2022 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:18 PM

The GOP spin on gun rights is wrong — morally and legally

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...legally-wrong/

Repubes are morally wrong about pretty much everything.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:29 AM

I didn't read the article but the title could easily be "The NRA & Gun Lobby's Spin On The GOP". Since they're the ones calling the shots (no pun intended) after all.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:34 AM

So, there's no universal commitment to control access, availability, or quantity, nothing changes.
Re, the 2nd amendment, the problem is here, with the interpretation of unlimited unregulated entitlement to as much of whatever type by anyone without accountability. The choices are sensible enforced regulation of all of these factors to keep it, total repeal, or acceptance of a worsening frequency of the consequences of an irresponsibly purposeless escalation of access.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:45 AM
Banned

One more thing about this...

A lot of these mass shootings...maybe most of them are suicidal. These shooters are pissed off ousiders who's life experience (accurately self-identified or not) is that their life has been shit and is never getting any better. So their mass shooting act achieves two goals...punishing the rest of the world for their shit life, and arranging to end their shit life by having done something horrible enough to give them the will to kill themselves, or giving the cops the opportunity to do it for them.

If any of you believe that gun control measures or mental health screening is going to stop this...you're nuts. American culture, the genocide, the slavery, the puritanism, the utopianism, the individualism, the exceptionalism created this right from the get go.

After all the bleating by Republican politicians and Republican voters about "mental illness" do you really think that Republicans are going to say it's OK to deny some outsider schmuck a gun license because he's had a crummy life? There are local and state laws that will not allow refusal of a gun license to the legally blind, for christ's sake.

Gun control isn't going to work. The only gun control that will work is outlawing hand guns and automatic firearms. Refuse to do that because of your fucking "rights and freedoms"? Fine...then the blood is on your hands.