Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:05 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
The tiny quibble is that the Oberste Heeresleitung was a wartime organization and did not come into existence until after the decision for war was taken, so you can't pin the war on the group of that name. The Großer Generalstab is what existed prewar. Of course, the Großer Generalstab 'staffed' the Oberste Heeresleitung when it was formed, so the distinction is not exactly stark....

The big quibble is that it's not clear to me that the Austrians only attacked Serbia with German permission/instigation.

Nonetheless, I do believe the Germans embraced the war in anticipation of a quick and glorious conquest of France....
Picked nit acknowledged. Should've used the generic German General Staff.

The Austrians were indeed acting with the Germany's tacit approval and then some. The Germans were surprised at Austria's unreasonable demands of the Serbs which pretty much guaranteed war. The Austrians would've backed off if told to. The Austrians were looking for a little fight, the Germans a big one, the Germans had their weaker brother's back against the Russians, the French had the Russian's back against the Germans, and the British were guarantor of Belgium neutrality and weren't about to let Germany dominate Europe. BOOM!

Last edited by nailer; 03-11-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:05 PM

Let no one forget the times. Colonial expansion industrial expansion the race for resources exploitation across the globe all feed the great war's start.

There was enough blame to go around! The war did not happen in a vacuum.

Barney
Old 03-10-2017, 10:22 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Picked nit acknowledged.
Hilarious that you of all people would complain about nit picking, Bob.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:34 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Hilarious that you of all people would complain about nit picking, Bob.
Not a complaint on my part.

Last edited by nailer; 03-10-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:23 PM

All this arguing about whether the sun rises in the East, Trump and the Russians, and Paul Ryan's destruction of health care as we know it has only one solution. Everclear and water.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:58 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
and the British were guarantor of Belgium neutrality
Some arrogance!
Old 03-17-2017, 09:43 AM
Ready

"Strategic patience at an end, all options are on the table!' says our Secretary of State, re N. Korea. Certainly strikes a tough, and probably provocative note. Exchanges of provocations are a path to war, of course.

Coincidentally, NPR ran an interview with Zbigniew Brzezinski this morning. It's too soon for a transcript (if they do post one) but it's very worth a listen. He calls the Trump foreighn policy stance "chaotic, unclear, unfocused." He scoffs at the idea of the destruction of ISIS as a central, major policy goal--he acknowledges ISIS as a threat, but doesn't see them as a "central strategic issue." After stressing the necessity of top-down leadership, he laments Trump's statements, saying 'some are entertaining,' but 'none are strategically substantive.' Instead he says they seem to come from a "wonder-wonder-wonder-land."

I don't think he'd believe Secretary Tillerson's remarks on North Korea are based on deep analysis and a well-planned policy. He paints a picture, instead, of an administration well-set to impulsively rush into war.

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/17/520498...foreign-policy
Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 AM

I saw this as well. I think we are pretty close to an armed conflict with Korea. I don't think we will fire the first shot. I wonder how Trump will respond when we actually need a real President?
Old 03-17-2017, 10:27 AM
Ready

I know that if i happened to be in Korea, I'd get out of Seoul, and then try to get out of the country without going back.

We could have the most deadly war since WWII in a matter of minutes.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:58 AM

I would guess within a year we will have had an event of some sort with North Korea. It will be something like a missile launch against Seoul or Japan or maybe one of our carriers, weather it is a successful detonation or not. This event that will require a major challenge or change to the power of Kim dumb young. I suspect when it happens and that as long as there is no loss of life, China, Russia, and us will demand he remove himself or he will be removed. If there is any loss of life, I think China, Russia, and us will come together and decide if a nuclear option will be used. I wouldn't want to take a bet on that .