Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:35 PM
Admin

Middle Class and Poor Americans Got a Raise

'Middle class incomes had their fastest growth on record last year' WaPo

"The incomes of typical Americans rose in 2015 by 5.2********percent, the first significant boost to middle-class pay since the end of the Great Recession and the fastest increase ever recorded by the federal government, the Census Bureau reported Tuesday.
In addition, the poverty rate fell by 1.2****percentage points, the steepest decline since 1968. There were 43.1 million Americans in poverty on the year, 3.5****million fewer than in 2014.
The share of Americans who lack health insurance continued a years-long decline, falling 1.3 percentage points, to 9.1 percent." Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mepage%2Fstory
Old 09-13-2016, 02:20 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
The share of Americans who lack health insurance continued a years-long decline, falling 1.3 percentage points, to 9.1 percent." Washington Post
universal healthcare

Obie made a mess.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:24 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
universal healthcare

Obie made a mess.
You mean McConnell and the Tea baggers, don't you?
Old 09-13-2016, 02:42 PM
Administrator

I say they all made a fricking mess outta it. WHY the hell penalize folks who don't have insurance with massive IRS fee. Just plain insane !!

By the way, some folks may have gotten a small raise but how much of that was due to the min wage being hiked ? Not like it will make much of a difference. Those jobs don't allow anyone to live anywhere near poverty levels..

Most of the lower middle class folks I know have not seen more then a 2% raise in many years. That does not even come close to covering inflation.

Grumpy
Old 09-13-2016, 03:15 PM
Persona non grata

Looking a little deeper into the report we find that the earnings of full time workers (see page 15) only increased by 1.5% for men, and 2.7% for women. Substantially less that the 5.3% increase in median income that is being touted.

My conclusion is that jobs aren't paying much more at all and that most of the increase is due to an increase in the number of workers per household.

http://www.census.gov/content/dam/Ce...mo/p60-256.pdf
Old 09-13-2016, 08:56 PM
reflexionar

Who writes this shit and where do they get their figures? My health insurance went up. The company's share declined. I haven't had a raise in 4 years. I know a lot of folks in the same boat. The only wages I have seen increase lately are low wage workers that got their initial buck bump after after their probation period. Add up all those 7-10 percent increases for the new folks that got jobs over the last few years and it makes those published figures a bit misleading.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:41 PM

I know folks win the lottery jackpot, but not me. Someone does.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2016, 09:55 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I say they all made a fricking mess outta it. WHY the hell penalize folks who don't have insurance with massive IRS fee. Just plain insane !!

It's not insane.

Look, the idea is that everyone gets insurance that takes care of the big part of their health costs. Everyone. Including a lot of people with known big health risks, that used to just be denied insurance.

This is to be paid for by everyone's premiums. So the young and healthy pay more than they get, usually (unless they get in a big car wreck or something). The older and sicker get taken care of. Flash forward 3 or 4 decades, and the young ones are now the older and sicker, and the generations behind them carry the load.

BUT what if the young folks say "Hey, I'm not real likely to get cancer. I'll just freeload until I'm older and sicker." Then the whole thing falls apart, because the money won't be there to pay for those who need it.

So that's why the penalties. To keep the young and healthy folks from freeloading.

So there's a reason. It's not insane. It still may not suit you, but it's not insane.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:35 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
Who writes this shit and where do they get their figures? My health insurance went up. The company's share declined. I haven't had a raise in 4 years. I know a lot of folks in the same boat. The only wages I have seen increase lately are low wage workers that got their initial buck bump after after their probation period. Add up all those 7-10 percent increases for the new folks that got jobs over the last few years and it makes those published figures a bit misleading.
Written by sane professionals employed by the Feds. And it is not all about you.

One has to give Obama credit given the bitter opposition of the Repubs and their business cohorts.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:37 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I say they all made a fricking mess outta it.
this is the correct ansewer