Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:16 AM

Boom - EO for Regulatory reduction and cost containment

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-exe...-business.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump signed an order on Monday that will seek to dramatically pare back federal regulations by requiring agencies to cut two existing regulations for every new rule introduced.

Major regulations are typically reviewed by the White House's Office of Management and Budget (OMB) before they are issued. That review will continue under this new measure, but agencies will also have to identify what two regulations will be repealed to offset the costs of any new rule.

The new order does not require that the repeal of the two regulations be done simultaneously with the release of additional rules, the official said.

"This vests tremendous power and responsibility in the OMB director to ensure the president's direction in how we manage this across the government," the official said.

Certain categories of regulations will be exempt from this new policy, including those dealing with the military and national security. The OMB director will also have the ability to waive this policy in certain instances.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:11 PM

This scares me.
Seems to me there might have been a reason why those regulations were out into place.
And, in typical Trump fashion, there is a vagueness about the mandate.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:13 PM
Admin

Who needs clean water, air or food?
Old 01-30-2017, 01:51 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Having personally been responsible for drafting a number of Federal regulations for 3 agencies and ushering them through the approval process, Trump's idea is ridiculous. First, all of these regulations are developed in strict accordance with the Administrative Procedures Act and under strict supervision of the OMB.

Once again, Trump issues an EO rashly without any background knowledge of the issue at hand (as he did with the recent immigration EO) and without a confirmed head (or managerial staff) of OMB. He's in way over his head. It does impress the rubes, however, as it did you, Whell. Congratulations.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
This scares me.
Seems to me there might have been a reason why those regulations were out into place.
And, in typical Trump fashion, there is a vagueness about the mandate.
That's why the mandate will leave it up to the individual agencies to provide the regs that they wish to dispense with. I'd wager that for any one Federal Reg, there's probably at least 5 that are outdated, ineffective, or useless.

Remember Obama undertook a similar effort, but I suspect there's still a ton of low - hanging fruit out there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/22/bu...2regulate.html
Old 01-30-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Having personally been responsible for drafting a number of Federal regulations for 3 agencies and ushering them through the approval process....
Well, this likely explains why Americans live in the midst of a regulatory minefield.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Having personally been responsible for drafting a number of Federal regulations for 3 agencies and ushering them through the approval process, Trump's idea is ridiculous. First, all of these regulations are developed in strict accordance with the Administrative Procedures Act and under strict supervision of the OMB.

Once again, Trump issues an EO rashly without any background knowledge of the issue at hand (as he did with the recent immigration EO) and without a confirmed head (or managerial staff) of OMB. He's in way over his head. It does impress the rubes, however, as it did you, Whell. Congratulations.
So, I guess Obama's efforts were useless to....
Old 01-30-2017, 02:04 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
That's why the mandate will leave it up to the individual agencies to provide the regs that they wish to dispense with. I'd wager that for any one Federal Reg, there's probably at least 5 that are outdated, ineffective, or useless.

Remember Obama undertook a similar effort, but I suspect there's still a ton of low - hanging fruit out there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/22/bu...2regulate.html
You must not have read the article you linked to:

But speci@lists on both sides of the political aisle say that the president is wasting the government’s time. They say there are few rules so dumb, duplicative or outdated that everyone can agree they serve no purpose. Rather, most regulations reviled by some are cherished by others, meaning that any effort to reduce regulation is a political process, not a question of housekeeping.

“The history of these kinds of efforts is that they don’t matter very much,” said Peter Van Doren, editor of Regulation magazine, a publication of the libertarian Cato Institute, which generally advocates for less regulation.

Gary Bass, executive director of OMB Watch, a nonprofit that generally advocates for more regulation, said the cost of the search was likely to outstrip the benefits.

I agree with these fellows. Trump is again just trying to make a splash and impress the rubes without bothering to take the time to understand the issue (or even have knowledgeable and repsonsible staff research the issue). I'm happy for you that you can be so impressed by such a meaningless, uninformed gesture by your Trumpenfuhrer.

Last edited by finnbow; 01-30-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:45 PM

Will this also include financial industry regulations?

Barney
Old 01-30-2017, 03:04 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Will this also include financial industry regulations?

Barney
I'm sure. He plans to trash Dodd-Frank and I think the EO provides for exemptions for the military and defense (small wonder for an avowed fascist like Trump).