Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:50 AM

Ann Coulter & Not so Free Speech

This has been brewing here locally since last week.

Ann Coulter was 'invited' by a Republican students group to speak at CAL, aka The Republic of Berkeley. Considering the reception the lesser known Milo Yiannopoulos received for his speaking engagement in Feb (set of minor riots and got cancelled ), the UC Berkley administration asked that the event be cancelled. She insisted on speaking here claiming 'Freedom of Speech' except she is being paid $20,000 for her speech.

Berkeley has offered another date for her to speak in order to provide better security, but she has rejected this and insists on speaking on or off campus on the original scheduled date, 4/27.

I say let her speak as long as it is pro bono. Why should she get paid to speak while the citizens of CA are footing the bill for her security?

http://www.sfgate.com/education/arti...o-11087363.php

SFGate is the online publication of SF Chronicle.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:28 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Coulter is a despicable human being. The right approach IMHO is to let her speak and then nobody show up.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:41 PM
Admin

"A lawyer representing the college Republican group that invited Coulter sent a letter late Thursday night to the university threatening litigation if the university does not allow Coulter to speak on campus April 27. In the four-page letter, the lawyer demands that the university find a venue near the center of campus for Coulter and allow her to speak in the evening rather than daytime. If that does not happen, the letter says, “we will seek relief in federal court, including claims for injunctive relief and damages.”" WP
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ann...cid=spartandhp

I thought conservatives were against frivolous litigation?
Old 04-21-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
"A lawyer representing the college Republican group that invited Coulter sent a letter late Thursday night to the university threatening litigation if the university does not allow Coulter to speak on campus April 27. In the four-page letter, the lawyer demands that the university find a venue near the center of campus for Coulter and allow her to speak in the evening rather than daytime. If that does not happen, the letter says, “we will seek relief in federal court, including claims for injunctive relief and damages.”" WP

They are fine with being assholes heedless of the harm they cause.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/o...nks-click&_r=1

Universities should be a hubbub of the full range of political perspectives from A to Z, not just from V to Z. So maybe we progressives could take a brief break from attacking the other side and more broadly incorporate values that we supposedly cherish — like diversity — in our own dominions.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:33 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/o...nks-click&_r=1

Universities should be a hubbub of the full range of political perspectives from A to Z, not just from V to Z. So maybe we progressives could take a brief break from attacking the other side and more broadly incorporate values that we supposedly cherish — like diversity — in our own dominions.
Yeah, cause your conservative hypocrites embrace diversity.

You're a laugh a minute, Mike.

Last edited by bobabode; 04-21-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah, cause your conservative hypocrites embrace diversity.

You're a laugh a minute, Mike.
Glad you find it funny. Liberals embrace diversity, as long as its the politically correct type. Lie to yourself all you want Bob.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:35 PM

Why should the state of CA & UC Berkely spend money to provide security to Coulter and her entourage to give a paid speech?

Trump has now popularized rioting during political rallies. Town of Berkeley and UC Berkeley is expecting protesters and possibly rioters from both sides, so they prefer not to risk any violence or property damage. Why is she then insisting on showing her ugly face on campus when asked not to? What does this have to do with "free speech" and why should the people of Berkley suffer needlessly?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Glad you find it funny. Liberals embrace diversity, as long as its the politically correct type. Lie to yourself all you want Bob.
Have you ever listened to Ann Coulter? She's a self aggrandizing bigot and a borderline fascist in her outlook.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:39 AM
Ready

She really is John the Baptist to Trump's Jesus. Aggressive and transgressive, she proved out and popularized the 'insult politician' style for conservatives. She exploits free speech rights to incite disorder. She is in fact a promoter of fascism and an enemy of free speech for others.

Still, protest and attempts to to ban just play into her game and empower her. Ignore her.