Old 07-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett A View Post
I ain't skeer'd
Excellent.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Well yes. The line is, black areas, best case we don't care, worst case we actively encourage it.

Pete
Old 07-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Too bad that ship has sailed.

Pete
Old 07-31-2012, 01:12 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

So Obama was an abberation? I assume if he's defeated this proves the point.

How can we talk about the racial problems here if we can't discuss race and culture? Or can we only discuss it from a blame POV?

Pete
Old 07-31-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
How can we talk about the racial problems here if we can't discuss race and culture? Or can we only discuss it from a blame POV?

Pete
I don't understand this question. Can you say more about what you're asking? Where do you see blame and stifling?

Last edited by Brett A; 07-31-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:36 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Ok, perhaps I'm coming to wrong conclusions. Why is the crime rate so much higher generally in majority minority neighborhoods?

Pete
Old 07-31-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Ok, perhaps I'm coming to wrong conclusions. Why is the crime rate so much higher generally in majority minority neighborhoods?

Pete
I don't know. And I believe it's likely a very historied and complex set of reasons, But I'd assume it has something to do with poverty and desperation. The question remains, or maybe it's the same question, why are our most impoverished areas inhabited primarily by African-Americans? What accounts for the seeming disparity in employment and incarceration rates?

I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts on the causes if they differ from mine.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Pure... Sweet... Culture.

I certainly don't deny racism has something to do with their current problems. However sooner or later they are responsible for their own actions.

The civil war is long gone and the days of Jim Crow are receding into the forgotten past. The expensive development behind me is integrated and the current President is a Harvard educated minority person.

So why are we talking like this is 1970? Look at the current problems.

There is a very strong correlation between single parentage and poverty for one. Then pop culture panders to the absolute worst in human nature now. It may not matter out in decentland where most of us live, but in the topic neighborhoods it's both a reflection and influence over how they actually live. Kids actually strive to be like those songs and singer/actors.

More for sure. Gotta run

Pete
Old 07-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Pure... Sweet... Culture.

I certainly don't deny racism has something to do with their current problems. However sooner or later they are responsible for their own actions.

The civil war is long gone and the days of Jim Crow are receding into the forgotten past. The expensive development behind me is integrated and the current President is a Harvard educated minority person.

So why are we talking like this is 1970? Look at the current problems.

There is a very strong correlation between single parentage and poverty for one. Then pop culture panders to the absolute worst in human nature now. It may not matter out in decentland where most of us live, but in the topic neighborhoods it's both a reflection and influence over how they actually live. Kids actually strive to be like those songs and singer/actors.

More for sure. Gotta run

Pete
Pete, I think we have a lot of common ground here, and I agree that we need to be forward looking. You might or might not agree that the GOP takes advantage of the vestiges of racism that remain.

I believe that a good education is key to having the ability to make one's way in life. Unfortunately, from what I have seen, poverty is the greatest factor in academic under-achievement. Relief from poverty and increased educational opportunities cannot be separated. Unfortunately, minorities have largely populated the poorest areas, where educational success is more difficult (though not impossible). I know that there are people who are a lot smarter than I am working on this problem, but it really needs to be a top priority.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Indians don't leave reservations and lead the life they lead (black folks and the inner city are similar) due to this:

TRUTH.

I can type for half an hour or just show the clip...

The rub? Those that reject that lifestyle are immediately shunned as sellouts. Somehow, the lifestyle we'd all love to help change has become identified as The Way.

Sure, it started as all anyone had. Now? It remains due to fear. If we kill the fear, we kill many of our social problems. But so MANY derive their power from fear that it is against their individual interests to desire that.

And I'm not looking at just Republicans although I, personally, could be quantified as slightly left of center. Both LBJ and Reagan, for example, would have loved to be successful on this issue with such widely differing social agendas as the Great Society or Reaganomics.

But $$$ isn't the problem. Identity is the problem. Until we all identify as Americans, nothing is going to change. Romantic? Maybe. But my analysis says only one of our current candidates would welcome that and it's NOT the guy who can't even manage to go to England without choking on his own foot.

Last edited by Zeke; 07-31-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Clarity.