Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Area Man

I have no land line, and put my cell on that "No call list" So far, it's worked. I've only gotten one sales call-----from the local newspaper. I told them I would only use their paper to spread on my garage floor. The girl asked; "That's strange why would you do that?"

"Because I have an elderly Dalmatian that doesn't always make it to the door before he shits. Plastic painter sheeting is cheaper."

Dave
Old 07-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Resident octogenarian

I like the phone calls that say they are doing a survey and can I spare a few moments. Then I tell them that I am a private consultant and I usually get $150 per hour. Then they say the are not paying so I ask what do they plan to do with the survey results. They usually say they are going to publish them at which point I usually say "So you want my time for free so you can make money off of my opinions - goodbye".
Old 07-17-2010, 01:38 PM

thanks guys yesterday was a rotten day and i just lost it. sorry for the rant. i took a 1/2 val and slept 10 hours.

this week no news or anything stressful. see you next week
Old 07-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Get the Mrs. and take her for a nice long walk somewhere tranquil, stop for a coffee or drink somewhere, and take in a good art exhibit. Come home and poor a glass of good wine and put on some relaxing music. Don't even think of turning on the TV.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
They sure don't bother me much and yes I have a great time playing with the folks on the other end of the line.
A competing electric company calls to save me money and I announce I enjoy paying top dollar for my electric. The NY Post calls and wants me to buy a subscription. I tell them it is not a newspaper they are misrepresenting themselves it is a right wing tabloid. Then I ask to be transfered to Murdock.
Then the satellite TV folks call and I ask if we can barter.
and if I am busy or not in the mood, I simply ignore them.
it's all good
Screwing with people on the phone. Reminds me of a story.

Years ago, while I was attending college, I worked evenings at the machine shop of McGraw Edison to pay my way. Once they figured out I was a college boy, they made me a machinist and gave me a raise.

Having never been an "anointed one" before, I was too ignorant to appreciate that this is the way the world worked, and just considered it a joke.

Once I was elevated to the position of a bar feed lathe operator (load 'em full of steel rods and the run for four hours by themselves), I had nothing better to do than sit around the break room drinking coffee with Henkie, the set up man.

Now Henkie was quite a character. Big, rawboned hillbilly, about 6'4", and with a mean streak. He hated the supervisor, who only had the job because his Daddy was a cheese. And the supervisor was scared to death of him...for good reason.

They couldn't really fire Henkie because not just every dumb SOB could set up all of those machines...especially for what McE payed.

So anyway, we're sitting in the break room, watching the supervisor watch us through his window, wishing he had the guts to come and tell us to go to work, when the phone rang.

It was the Culligan Man with a wrong number. Henkie seized the moment, and told the Culligan Man that he just couldn't wait to have his new water softener installed.

Henkie also explained to the Culligan Man that since he worked nights and slept during the day, it would be best if he could do the installation at 2:00 AM. Once he was assured that there would be no problem, Henkie told him to just come on by the first chance he had and come on in...he'd leave the door open!!!

Henkie was a class act!!!

Chas
Old 07-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Abby Normal

Henkie sounds like my kind a guy.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereocuuple View Post
thanks guys yesterday was a rotten day and i just lost it. sorry for the rant. i took a 1/2 val and slept 10 hours.
So you did take a pill like I said. I'll make a lib outta ya yet!
Old 07-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereocuuple View Post

this week no news or anything stressful. see you next week
Good! Good for you! Just be carefull with that Valium, too much will make matters worse.

Don't worry about the rant. Sometimes it's good to let it out. If insulting me makes you feel better, have at it. I'm used to it, and I rather enjoy firing back.
As the great John L. Lewis once said, "They smote me hip and thigh. And right merrily did I return their blows."

Anyhow, Peace be with you, my friend!

Dave
Old 07-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Loyal Opposition

So my mom had a phone number one digit off from a pizza place. Obviously we'd get pizza calls. Some of the callers were polite and some of them just hung up. When the hangups called back immediately, we'd answer as the Pizza place and take their order. I think we got free pizzas for a few people that way.

Regards,

D-Ray