Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:57 PM

I wonder how President Bush's comments and actions in Iraq and about Iran played in Iran when run through the same filters.

They can make a very easy case that the US is the rogue nation that has already invaded one of their neighbors for no reason, while constantly making belligerent comments about Iran. From their perspective, having nukes is likely a necessity and the only way they can see to defend themselves from an openly hostile super power.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
I wonder how President Bush's comments and actions in Iraq and about Iran played in Iran when run through the same filters.

They can make a very easy case that the US is the rogue nation that has already invaded one of their neighbors for no reason, while constantly making belligerent comments about Iran. From their perspective, having nukes is likely a necessity and the only way they can see to defend themselves from an openly hostile super power.
Perspective is a beotch, isn't it, Erik?

Dave
Old 09-26-2011, 04:11 PM

We haven't had a REAL shootin' war for a long time, just these police actions.

And this next one ought to be a real dandy.

One thing about it, nobody will be bitching about the economy.

Chas
Old 09-26-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Chas
I thought Iraq was a real one. People must have been bitching, cause they cut taxes during it.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Chas
Hmmmm...... Then what's with all of those flag draped coffins? Last I heard it was somewhere around 5,000? Granted, not as bad as WW2, but a terrible tragedy to about 5,000 families.

And, all behind a lie, or "mistake" or whatever you want to call it. Oh, that's right, only Obama lies and fucks things up (Even things that happened while he was chasing pussy in college.)............

Dave
Old 09-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Area Man

Quote:
I thought Iraq was a real one. People must have been bitching, cause they cut taxes during it.
I think I'll quit my job and go flip burgers for minimum wage, but I'll buy myself one of those Mercedes roadsters first. After all reducing your income, then spending like a drunken sailor has garnered favor for ol' GW in the eyes of some folks, right?

Something about a naked King.......

Dave
Old 09-27-2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
A. I'm a little uncomfortable simply ascribing irrationality to a nation or its people simply because we don't have a real good read on them (or perhaps even because a real good read of them may result in us recognizing that they're reacting to us.)

B. And why is it exactly that Saddam is no longer a power check in that area? Might it have something to do with us invading them because we thought they may have WMD's? Sound familiar to the Iranian threat we're now hearing?
Sure we do. We know that most of the ME's problems are endemic and have little to do with the presence of Israel. Israel is just a convenient scapegoat. If one examines the ME you'll find some common threads across the various countries. All tend to suffer from inherent tribalism, religious intolerance, corrupt government, authoritarian centralized government, sheltered economies and gender apartheid. The central theme is that of religious intolerance and a strict hierarchy. There is nothing really that different today than there was back in the time of Saladin as far as the Western mantras of egalitarianism and humanism is concerned. The tenets of Islam are simply incongruent with our Western humanist egalitarian values.

We can also rely upon the statements and actions of those countries as a measure of their geopolitical goals. Do you really believe that Iran would embrace the U.S. if we didn't support Israel?

I do not know how good our intelligence currently is wrt Iran. I would hope that it has been improved over the last decade. The reliance on technological assets is limited when you're dealing with backward cultures, thus, a real need for ground operatives. That, however, takes a long time to cultivate.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I think I'll quit my job and go flip burgers for minimum wage, but I'll buy myself one of those Mercedes roadsters first. After all reducing your income, then spending like a drunken sailor has garnered favor for ol' GW in the eyes of some folks, right?

Something about a naked King.......

Dave
That might be where we're all headed once we retire. We'll take all the jobs from the HS kids and Hispanics at McDs and Burger King. I always ponder the thought of what would have happened with GW's admin if 911 hadn't occurred.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Real deaths and fighting yes, but constrained actions in comparison to WWII. When war became more civilized it also became more difficult to clearly win IMHO. How long would Germany and Japan have survived without bombing the hell out of their cities.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:

Yes, when the government controls the content of the press, then they can put forth their propaganda. That is why if you want a coup you must control the broadcast and news system. Whether or not what you say is true really doesn't mean much. BTW, what do you think Iran was espousing about us before we attacked Iraq? I don't recall it being very positive.