Old 09-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Area Man

Occupy Wall St.

Anybody following this?

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20...otest_arrested

Dave
Old 09-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Loyal Opposition

I heard a little about this on the radio this week. It was in the context of a broader discussion about what has happened to the American left, as chronicled in the current issue of the Nation magazine. Are we getting ready for our American Spring.

EDIT: You might find that this column speaks to some of the same issues. She was one of the authors of the article in the Nation.

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 09-29-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Having been in several anti-Reagan demonstrations before I became enlightened, I can understand how a demonstration can get out of hand. There are rules and procedures to be followed to stay legal. This journalist admitted that he didn't have the proper press id.

Also, considering how many people are financially tied to Wall Street, I can't see the rationality of protesting.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I heard a little about this on the radio this week. It was in the context of a broader discussion about what has happened to the American left, as chronicled in the current issue of the Nation magazine. Are we getting ready for our American Spring.

EDIT: You might find that this column speaks to some of the same issues. She was one of the authors of the article in the Nation.

Regards,

D-Ray
Quote:
With President Obama in the White House, most progressive resources and attention have been committed to helping pass his reform agenda rather than broadening the national conversation. But in the wake of the 2010 elections, the focus has begun to shift. Now, the GOP’s attempts to roll back not simply Obama’s reforms but the Great Society and the New Deal — indeed much of the progress made in the 20th century — have sparked a vigorous progressive response.
Gee, that makes it sound oh so scary. Those evil GOP members. The article fails to mention the spiraling unsustainable debt on the national, state, and municipal levels. A slight cut back in the pace of increases hardly spells the end of the New Deal and the Great Society. We shall soon see just how "vigorous" that progressive response actually is. Remember that for Congress Critters keeping the office trumps dedication to causes.

Last edited by bhunter; 09-29-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:19 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Having been in several anti-Reagan demonstrations before I became enlightened, I can understand how a demonstration can get out of hand. There are rules and procedures to be followed to stay legal. This journalist admitted that he didn't have the proper press id.

Also, considering how many people are financially tied to Wall Street, I can't see the rationality of protesting.
You say enlightened,
I say confused and frightened (sorry, had to make it rhyme)

I believe that it completely rational to protest against the wall street institutions that are leeches on the wealth that is actually created by entrepreneurs (yes I said entrepreneurs) and labor.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-29-2011, 01:22 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post

I think you need a little more "enlightening". What, exactly, do those jackals produce? Nothing. They live off of the producers, us, and they are never satisfied.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 09-29-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:38 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
I think you need a little more "enlightening". What, exactly, do those jackals produce? Nothing, they live off of the producers, us, and they are never satisfied.

Dave
You tell him Dave.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-29-2011, 07:26 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
I think you need a little more "enlightening". What, exactly, do those jackals produce? Nothing, they live off of the producers, us, and they are never satisfied.

Dave
Dave it would be funny if it was not so tragic. The mayor of NYC is a member of the monied class so what the police did does not really surprise me. The Scott Walkers and other GOP have suckered the voters into pitching private against public workers, meanwhile they have both hands in the till and are robbing us blind.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Bugsy Siegel would have great admiration for what Wall Street has become.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Bugsy Siegel would have great admiration for what Wall Street has become.
Stealing in nano seconds!

http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2011...anosecond-age/