Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-16-2023, 10:05 AM
Area Man

White Victimhood......and here it is!

Remember when, several years ago, our friend Whell began bleating and babbling how Affirmative Action and the Civil Rights movement was discriminatory against white people? I accused him of trying to play up the notion of White victimhood and predicted that eventually right-wing propagandists would latch on to the idea and start pushing it in the media.......

Well, here we are with millions of jerks all over the social media complaining that they and their offspring have been ruined for life supposedly because of opportunities denied them and "handed out" to Black folks simply over skin color. Fancy this, the party of self reliance creating the obviously false narrative of "reverse racism" and using it to get support from people who would probably never pass a college entrance exam anyways, if they even bothered to try.

I remember when the guy in my class who got the biggest college grant, $50,000 (1982 Dollars) to go to Ohio State and so DUMB he could barely read. Hardly ever even showed up for class. But, he was our 2nd best football player and he was white, his Dad was rich and an obnoxious pain in the ass so, he got the prize. Our class Valedictorian got less and our best athlete by far, LeRoy Wilson, got nothing because he was Black. LeRoy could read and got decent grades BTW. Not that it mattered, apparently.

But yeah, we white folks have been treated horribly, especially the rich ones. Just ask Tucker Carlson, he'll be more than happy to tell you all about it.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:38 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Remember when, several years ago, our friend Whell began bleating and babbling how Affirmative Action and the Civil Rights movement was discriminatory against white people? I accused him of trying to play up the notion of White victimhood and predicted that eventually right-wing propagandists would latch on to the idea and start pushing it in the media.......

Well, here we are with millions of jerks all over the social media complaining that they and their offspring have been ruined for life supposedly because of opportunities denied them and "handed out" to Black folks simply over skin color. Fancy this, the party of self reliance creating the obviously false narrative of "reverse racism" and using it to get support from people who would probably never pass a college entrance exam anyways, if they even bothered to try.

I remember when the guy in my class who got the biggest college grant, $50,000 (1982 Dollars) to go to Ohio State and so DUMB he could barely read. Hardly ever even showed up for class. But, he was our 2nd best football player and he was white, his Dad was rich and an obnoxious pain in the ass so, he got the prize. Our class Valedictorian got less and our best athlete by far, LeRoy Wilson, got nothing because he was Black. LeRoy could read and got decent grades BTW. Not that it mattered, apparently.

But yeah, we white folks have been treated horribly, especially the rich ones. Just ask Tucker Carlson, he'll be more than happy to tell you all about it.

And they express victimhood for any number of other reasons too - religion, conservatism, MAGA beliefs, homophobia, vaccines, the Hunter laptop, Bud Lite, Barbie movies, being called out for lying, etc. They whine about having run out of shit to whine about. But they are the strong, manly men. LOL

25 years ago, the Democratic Party could rightly have been labeled the party of whiners. The GOP today has taken over this mantle loudly and proudly.

Last edited by finnbow; 07-16-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-16-2023, 01:36 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
And they express victimhood for any number of other reasons too - religion, conservatism, MAGA beliefs, homophobia, vaccines, the Hunter laptop, Bud Lite, Barbie movies, being called out for lying, etc. They whine about having run out of shit to whine about. But they are the strong, manly men. LOL

25 years ago, the Democratic Party could rightly have been labeled the party of whiners. The GOP today has taken over this mantle loudly and proudly.
I love it when they complain about being "censored" on Instagram for bullying others but have replies to their comments blocked.................

The cowardice is a hoot.

On your last point, I look at it this way; 25 years ago is about the time the GOP realized it had to lower it's standards to lure more people away from the Democrats and the Dems made little to no effort to hold onto them. So, basically the GOP today is full of the other parties trash. Every manor of bigot and Xenophobe imaginable. The GOP has now become the Party of the Westboro Baptist Church.
Old 07-16-2023, 04:24 PM

White victimhood give me a break!

All anybody wants is to be treated equally and fairly. Something not happening now.

Continue on with the arrogant ignoring of the inequities and then retribution may well be the result.

Last edited by Oerets; 07-17-2023 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-16-2023, 05:13 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
White victimhood give me a break.

All anybody wants is to be treated equally and fairly. Something not happening now.

Continue on with the arrogant ignoring of the inequities and then retribution may well be the result.
Really Barney, I think it's old bigots who've finally found some validation in Trump that emboldens them and ignorant young people who weren't around to witness the horrendous things we did as kids. The latter doesn't know they're being fed poisonous lies and former doesn't care. One thing is for sure, we may be headed into some serious ugliness. Don't know how true it is but I read a piece today that stated a significant drop in minority admissions at eight state universities already.
Old 07-17-2023, 06:17 AM

What I'm seeing locally and also reported on is the increasing blaming onto "others" their misfortune. Be it the immigrant, LBQGT BLM and so on.

This may well have been hidden all along and now been brought to the mainstream due to Trump normalizing thus condoning such behavior.

What needs to be considered is how far our country has moved to being a interracial one. Many family's now have multiracial&LBQGT members in them and growing every day.

The Bigots are a loud voice and need our attention. They are not a majority now, just a hate fulled one.

As to the recent ruling on higher education. The dust has not settled on this one yet. Then again this next election may well be the deciding moment on our future as a free and open country. Game set match if the Republicans win control again.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:

In three years this country will be 250 years old. It seems to me that for pretty much all of this 250 years, white christians have had all of the power, all of the control, all of the authority, and all of the benefits of citizenship in this country. ALL THE BENEFITS...ALL OF IT. What did white christians do with all this for the past 250 years? They did their best to deny any of it, certainly to anywhere near the level that they enjoyed it, to any citizen of this country who was not a white christian.

Has it changed at all? Perhaps a little with the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. But the white supremacists managed to find ways around a lot of that. It changed some starting with the 1992 Presidential election, and the fact that beginning in 1992, to the present, the Republican Party candidate has won the popular vote once in eight elections. And American Jews have managed to work their way into positions of control of financial institutions and big business. But that hasn't done much to shake out the white supremacist stranglehold on the benefits, control, and manipulation of American citizenship. Maybe some during the Obama years, but not enough, and pretty much what the Obama years did, more than anything else, was to activate the white supremacist populism that began in 2016, with the election of the Trump Criminal Enterprise.

So...the white christians have pretty much had it all for 250 years, they laid back in their barcaloungers with their feet up, drinking it in, taking it for granted that it was always gonna be theirs basking in their bullshit entitlement to owning and running it all.

And now that there has been a small reversal here and there, all we hear about is how they're victims and the want "christ put back in christmas", they want their noses in the reproductive organs of American women, and they want to celebrate our democratized gun carnage for another 250 years.

Yeah well...fuck that, and fuck all of you and the horse you rode in on.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 07-17-2023 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Really Barney, I think it's old bigots who've finally found some validation in Trump that emboldens them and ignorant young people who weren't around to witness the horrendous things we did as kids. The latter doesn't know they're being fed poisonous lies and former doesn't care. One thing is for sure, we may be headed into some serious ugliness. Don't know how true it is but I read a piece today that stated a significant drop in minority admissions at eight state universities already.

""White victimhood give me a break!""

That was a sarcastic remark. For some reason the emoji didn't showup..

When hearing this sediment my eyes roll and also snicker. Also common for them to also say "this country is the greatest country in the world".

My answer is to this, "if you have money", if not not so much.

Last edited by Oerets; 07-17-2023 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:49 AM

This thread is hilarious. It begins with a misattribution of yours truly, and then descends from there.

"Whell began bleating and babbling how Affirmative Action and the Civil Rights movement was discriminatory against white people?"

This is really not what I said.

Have you ever written and had to administer a corporate affirmative action plan? Have you ever experienced an audit of your business by the OFCCP? I have. It's a fascinating and educational process.

First, let's define our terms:

Affirmative Action (AA): For federal contractors and subcontractors, affirmative action must be taken by covered employers to recruit and advance qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. Affirmative actions include training programs, outreach efforts, and other positive steps. These procedures should be incorporated into the company's written personnel policies. Employers with written affirmative action programs must implement them, keep them on file and update them annually.

Affirmative Action Plan (AAP): a written document or “program” outlining the steps a company has taken and will take to ensure equal employment opportunity. A written affirmative action plan - for many covered employers it's a document that can reach 100 pages or more - sample can be seen here: https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/fil...8_Contr508.pdf

In short, an AAP is a document that describes an employer's workforce by race, gender and other protected classes, identifies areas within the workforce where protected classes of individuals are underrepresented, and identifies specific steps the employer will take to address areas of underrepresentation. This includes setting goals to increase the representation of protected classes in areas of the workforce that are underrepresented.

The description sounds benign enough. In practice, OFCCP enforcement of an employer's AAP creates economic penalties for the employer - the potential loss of their government contracts. But hey, if a company wants to be in the world of providing products or services to the gov't, they better understand the potential risks.

In practice, it comes down to this: the requirement to fill jobs, particularly in areas of the business that are under-represented, based on something other than the requirements of the job. In practice, when two applicants possess equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs), and the job these applicants are applying for exists in a part of the organization that is identified as under-represented for protected classes, the employer may need to select the applicant in the protected class to help meet the organization's AA goals. Where companies are usually best served by making employment decisions based on job-related KSAs, a non-job-related factor is introduced into the selection process.

Another way to say this: an employer is shown to systematically make employment decisions on something other than KSAs face litigation risk under a host of Federal, State, and local government anti-discrimination statutes. An employer with an AAP is actually encouraged to make such decisions based on something other than KSAs if it does so to me certain social goals.

You mentioned your experience with a classmate who went to Ohio State who happened to be white. However, one of the recent college admissions cases decided by SCOTUS - the Harvard Case - actually showed how Asian students faced disparate treatment by Harvard's admissions "process". If you're interested in some background on that case, complete with some rather unsavory details of Harvard's admissions, you might find this interesting: https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-c...ve-action-case. Example:

Judge Burroughs’s opinion also addressed the striking fact that, when sending recruitment letters to potential applicants in “Sparse Country” (underrepresented states in the Harvard applicant pool), Harvard used an SAT score cutoff of 1310 for white students, 1350 for Asian American females, and 1380 for Asian American males. There were gasps in the courtroom when this evidence was revealed at trial.

The bottom line: the act of discrimination in employment or admissions is an essential part of the process: an employer, for example, must select one candidate from among many, and the act of making this selection discriminates against those not selected. When such discrimination is done based on elements that are unrelated to success or failure in employment or admissions, it's wrong.

To your point, does AA discriminate against white people? In some cases, sure it does. Witness a case like Bakke where the University of CA was "reserving seats" for applicants in protected classes. As demonstrated in the Harvard case, it can also discriminate against members of the protected classes that it was created to assist.

In practice, an AAP asks an admissions officer or employer to use something other than an applicant's objective qualifications to make an admissions or employment decision. Specifically, if two applicants are otherwise equal, the AAP would ask that a "preference" for the applicant in a protected class help make the selection decision. If discrimination based on unrelated factors is objectively wrong, doing so under an AAP doesn't make it less wrong (two wrongs don't make it right).
Old 07-17-2023, 08:50 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

The MAGA persecution complex - the vast array of outlets in the right-wing media ecosystem that incentivizes GOP lawmakers to pander to conservative victimization and grievance. It’s feasting on so many claims of persecution that it’s essentially eating itself to death.

At last weeks hearing, Republicans alleged that the FBI investigated conservative parents at school board meetings. (That’s entirely baseless.) They insisted FBI Director Christopher A. Wray, a registered Republican, personally sicced the FBI on conservatives. (Wray called this insane). They claimed the FBI has eagerly persecuted Trump. (The FBI has actually been rule-bound and cautious.) They railed that FBI plants incited the Jan. 6, 2021, attack. (The central evidence of this has collapsed.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...bi-trump-maga/

Last edited by finnbow; 07-17-2023 at 08:53 AM.