Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

An update if anyone cares

Replaced the idler arm & pitman arm. Runs and drives nice and tight, like a good car should, with a little rattle that is (groan) lower control arm bushings, so soon when I get the money and inclination new lower and upper poly bushings, lower and upper ball joints, and new front springs.

That should sure feel good ride wise. I changed the control arm bushings on the PC Cruiser and man, those Energy bushings make a world of difference. Hopefully I don't kill myself changing the springs, it's a lot different than the rears. Years ago a buddy made a spring compressor out of a bumper jack - the spring went through the garage wall.

I didn't say a smart buddy.

I've also changed the sway bar links, cap/rotor/wires/plugs (gap .050, the old ones were worn to 060+ and it still ran good!), a rotor (repacked the bearings too), cleaned/lubed/bled both front brakes, fixed a door handle, and have managed to clean and condition the 2 front seats and a bit more of the interior. Very nice interior, when it gets a good complete cleaning I'll post some pics.

I've only got to change those &*$%# bushings/springs etc, belts, hoses, finish cleaning inside and out, replace 2 window motors, install the aftermarket stereo properly (only 1 speaker is playing and no radio), get the locks working (a central relay is fried), redye the dash, change the headliner, change the outside mirrors (one broke, and the thermometer on the drivers side is nonfunctional), change the electric trunk pulldown, fix the glovebox (nonopening), look at the A/C (134 converted and new compressor, here's hoping it holds a charge), change a couple of various outside trim pieces, and install a nice patch on the drivers' door arm pad...

I think that's it The somewhat laughable thing is, I'm trying to get this done by the beginning of June

The good news is, most of the parts come off the 89.

And again, I'm under there changing the front end bits looking around, I'm really beginning to believe it's 35k. We'll know in 5 years

Pete
Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
An update if anyone cares

Replaced the idler arm & pitman arm. Runs and drives nice and tight, like a good car should, with a little rattle that is (groan) lower control arm bushings, so soon when I get the money and inclination new lower and upper poly bushings, lower and upper ball joints, and new front springs.

That should sure feel good ride wise. I changed the control arm bushings on the PC Cruiser and man, those Energy bushings make a world of difference. Hopefully I don't kill myself changing the springs, it's a lot different than the rears. Years ago a buddy made a spring compressor out of a bumper jack - the spring went through the garage wall.

I didn't say a smart buddy.

I've also changed the sway bar links, cap/rotor/wires/plugs (gap .050, the old ones were worn to 060+ and it still ran good!), a rotor (repacked the bearings too), cleaned/lubed/bled both front brakes, fixed a door handle, and have managed to clean and condition the 2 front seats and a bit more of the interior. Very nice interior, when it gets a good complete cleaning I'll post some pics.

I've only got to change those &*$%# bushings/springs etc, belts, hoses, finish cleaning inside and out, replace 2 window motors, install the aftermarket stereo properly (only 1 speaker is playing and no radio), get the locks working (a central relay is fried), redye the dash, change the headliner, change the outside mirrors (one broke, and the thermometer on the drivers side is nonfunctional), change the electric trunk pulldown, fix the glovebox (nonopening), look at the A/C (134 converted and new compressor, here's hoping it holds a charge), change a couple of various outside trim pieces, and install a nice patch on the drivers' door arm pad...

I think that's it. The somewhat laughable thing is, I'm trying to get this done by the beginning of June

The good news is, most of the parts come off the 89.

And again, I'm under there changing the front end bits looking around, I'm really beginning to believe it's 35k. We'll know in 5 years

Pete
I am impressed. Sounds like you have a plan and the ability to execute it. If I tried to work on a car, I would probably execute myself. My dad loved to tinker with cars, but I was more interested in sports, reading sports illustrated, looking at the swimsuit issue, riding my bike and hanging out with friends. I did listen when he talked politics, his being a good union man an all.

If you ever decide to drive that tricked out ride to the KC area, come by and show it to me. In the meantime, I'll look forward to the pics.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-07-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
That should sure feel good ride wise. I changed the control arm bushings on the PC Cruiser and man, those Energy bushings make a world of difference. Hopefully I don't kill myself changing the springs, it's a lot different than the rears. Years ago a buddy made a spring compressor out of a bumper jack - the spring went through the garage wall
Having done the same bushing swap I wonder why the factorys haven't gone to poly bushings. I would think the price would be in line with rubber ones.

As for the springs most Autozone/Checkers will rent you a spring compressor for much less than the hospital bill you might incurr without one. Makes the job a lot less scary.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr15 View Post
As for the springs most Autozone/Checkers will rent you a spring compressor for much less than the hospital bill you might incur without one. Makes the job a lot less scary.
There is capitalism doing what it does best - a need and a product to meet the need - as long as they don't charge you more for it if you go in with stitches in your forehead.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Don't be too impressed, I'm really a backyard hack driven by financial concerns

Thanks for the invite. I hope to take you up on it someday, and if you ever come up to glamorous Cleveland Ohio drop me a line.

Yeah I can't believe they're still using rubber. I'd be surprised if the sports cars are though.

I'm planning on using a spring compressor but still...

Headline: 'Local idiot kills self with car spring. Details at 11.' lol

Pete
Old 04-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Resident octogenarian

Shit, I have a pair of spring compressors in the garage somewhere that I will never use again.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

How about, I only say nice things about Democrats for a week for those compressors?

Seriously, if you're interested just shoot me an email with details.

Pete
Old 04-07-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
There is capitalism doing what it does best - a need and a product to meet the need - as long as they don't charge you more for it if you go in with stitches in your forehead.

Regards,

D-Ray
Usually you put a deposit on the tool. When you bring it back they give you your deposit back. If you do not bring it back you just own it. So its really not a rental per se.

Of course Robs deal sounds pretty good too.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:55 PM

Using a spring compressor is not a bad idea .. however I've never found the need for one unless the springs are mounted on struts. I still don't need one then, unless I'm replacing either the strut, or the strut cartridge. Non strut automobiles are a breeze to remove coil springs.

Automatic transmission tools are a pain in the ass to gather up though ( if you buy them ). Orta see the home-made tranny tools I made .. just to save a grand or so I couldn't caugh up. Wasn't a bad trade off making them myself, really, I think it cost me about 3.00 worth of wire used off the spool in the welder, and the junk out of the scrap pile I used to make 'em with probly wouldn't brough more than 10 cents if hauled to scrap. But my tools work .. and the two tools I made for about 3.10 saved me about a grand
Old 04-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

a-HA. How do you remove them?

Pete