Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:19 PM
Jigsawed

I am a long time opponent of abortion. Therefore I welcome this orthodoxy.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:18 PM

The church is against abortion, holy crap roll the press.

I feel like this pope seems to be trying to bring the church into the 21st century. The quitter didn't seem to do much besides piss certain groups off. I remember mass being in Latin and how much better it was when that was reformed. I wouldn't doubt before Francis is done you see the church change their stances on a few things but abortion will never be one of them.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:31 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG22 View Post
The church is against abortion, holy crap roll the press.

I feel like this pope seems to be trying to bring the church into the 21st century. The quitter didn't seem to do much besides piss certain groups off. I remember mass being in Latin and how much better it was when that was reformed. I wouldn't doubt before Francis is done you see the church change their stances on a few things but abortion will never be one of them.
No need to roll the press about abortion.. However no harm in restating the Church's stand.

As to pissing off others;this one has vexed the powerful with his comment: Money must serve, not rule.

Last edited by Dondilion; 04-15-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:30 AM
Resident octogenarian

I believe that abortion should be safe and rare which is why I am also for contraception. If a woman is casually using abortion as birth control (which is something that anyone who knows or has had a D&C know it utter BS) would you really want her raising children? Or if pregnancy would result in her death are you willing to care for her live children? If she is as poor as a churchmouse will you support the child? If you are not prepared to do all these things then perhaps you should simply apply your religious beliefs to yourself and let others follow their own beliefs.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:54 AM

I have a hard time with the taking of a life. But physically would never be faced with the prospects of being pregnant can not say what for sure I would do. I face the facts that when one is confronted with a unwanted or troubled pregnancy abortion though not pretty but an evil that will happen anyway legal or not.

A thought that germinated in my mind years ago, is if one truly believes in an afterlife, heaven and hell. Then just how can this be a problem? Now if secretly you believe in only one chance at this experience, nothing before or after then I can see a more valid argument.

Barney
Old 04-16-2014, 07:14 AM
Resident octogenarian

Before the seventh month the foetus cannot survive outside the womb without massive intervention. This, to me suggests that nature, or God, does not consider "life" to be present. If medical evidence suggests afterthat point that continuing the pregnancy will endanger the mother's life there is a choice to be made, not an easy one but nevertheless it must be made.

In two marriages we faced the opposite, my first wife could not conceive despite surgery and extensive other considerations, so we adopted. (Other events led to the divorce.)

Florence and I were probably past child rearing age though I believe we would have produced some beautiful children, however Monsanto and a massive tumor put an end to any fantasies in that area.

Since the adoption laws here are so archaic few unwanted babies are adopted, hence the rush to adopt children from abroad. If you are dead set against abortion work with other like minded people to bring the adoption laws into the 21st centuury.

It is really quite simple, if the mother decides to go through with the pregnancy, she is the sole arbiter regarding abortion. If the father will not marry her then he gets in line with othet potential adopters. Visitation to the adopting home is done unannounced any time during the first six months. If no reason for ending the adoption occurs because of the visit (or visits) at the end of six months the birth certificate is issued in the name of the adopting parents. Finito; the child is theirs absent any other behaviour that would apply to natural parents.

I our case a young woman decided she would carry to term. In her honour I kept for him one of the names she had wanted for him, I owe her our son.

Last edited by merrylander; 04-16-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:17 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I'm personally anti-abortion, but politically pro-choice. In other words, I don't feel I have the right to impose my views in this area on others, particularly women.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:38 AM
Area Man

I'm all for abortion being extended to 30 years of age.

Dave
Old 04-16-2014, 08:04 AM
Jigsawed

Abortion greatest evil is that it gnaws at people's inner civilized concept of
themselves.

No amount of rationalization can overcome that.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:04 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I'm all for abortion being extended to 30 years of age.

Dave
That depends how old is Paul ryan? I know it is too late in Mitch's case.