Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
Good points all, but the curious thing is that if the bulk of that money is spent within the 'States, doesn't it go round in circles? Without that level of spending, what would happen to unemployment? Having said that, just imagine what spending even a fraction of that money on research into a stable fusion reactor, or space exploration could achieve.

I know the latter is thorny; "Why send people; it's not worth the money when we can send robot probes that are almost as good?". It's the 'almost' that gets me; how can we know what's there if we don't look?

As for "World Police", with the possible exception of China the U.S.A. is the only country rich enough to do it and even then, I doubt it could do it on its own.
This used to be true Combwork. It was a big part of the massive growth during and for about 35-40 years after WW2. The problem is most of that heavy manufacturing capacity is gone. The military just doesn't order hardware in the numbers it did during the Cold War and the various "Hot" Wars. The price tag is high because of the price per unit cost of the goods, not the volume. Therefore increased spending doesn't always mean more jobs. This is the double edge sword of efficiency and high tech manufacturing.

Dave
Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Hate to put a damper on things, but according to this morning's paper;

Greece has a deficit at 15% of GDP with no prospects of growth.

We have a deficit of 10% of GDP projected to fall to 5% in four years and we do have growth . Even the Chinese have resumed buying treasuries as are several other countries looking for a safe place for their money.

Go figure.
Stop it, Rob. Good news is forbidden. Well, until November, of course. And even then only if the country moves right again.

Dave
Old 05-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Yup, we're the healthiest mule at the glue factory.

Chas
Lmao!! Or is that :cry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
True. But, I would say the left would probably have less of a problem, pschologically, with a loss of empire. Telling a right winger he's no longer "number one" always seems akin to chopping his manhood off with a rusty hatchet. I'm guessing it stems from their love of competition?

Oh, and on your last sentence; It sure will. Because it will mean they'll have to defend themselves and stop sucking on Uncle Sams teet. I would think the conservative mind would be looking forward to that day?

A little irony in these points, Eh?

Dave
Somebody has to be on top. If not us, who? Europe is nutless. China is the only real possibility at this point, and people say we're bad...

The anachy or near-anachy that will follow our demise will be a sad day for just about the entire world population.

Consider just one facet: the aid the free world sends to Africa will be one of the first things to go. Millions dead, a horrible starvation death.

Pete
Old 05-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Lmao!! Or is that :cry:

Somebody has to be on top. If not us, who? Europe is nutless. China is the only real possibility at this point, and people say we're bad...

The anachy or near-anachy that will follow our demise will be a sad day for just about the entire world population.

Consider just one facet: the aid the free world sends to Africa will be one of the first things to go. Millions dead, a horrible starvation death.

Pete

Really? Gee I thought it was the right that said "to hell with too big to fail let them fail." So if the Somalis, Zimbabweans, etc. want to slaughter each other, let them. Why should we stand between the Sunnis or Shia in Iraq, let them have at it. Karzai and the Taliban? be my guest.

Starving in Africa? Of course they are and until they stop screwing themselves out of a seat at the dinner table they always will. Look what Pax Romana bought the Romans, and Pax Americana will be no different, a lot of young men and women sacrificed because a bunch of old men can't get their shit together.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I get'cha Rob, but our standard of living (and degree of freedom) would suffer mightly as well.

So we have a decision I think.

Pete
Old 05-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Resident octogenarian

I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be.
Thomas Jefferson

Peace and friendship with all mankind is our wisest policy, and I wish we may be permitted to pursue it.
Thomas Jefferson