Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

China's gonna get yo momma...

Political jabs aside, this is one sobering article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...rc=nl_politics

I always temper America's fear/interest of China a bit. They've got two huge problems looming on the horizon, succession and currency adjustment, but they are the 600 pound gorilla.

Pete
Old 02-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Abby Normal

"While China increasingly invests in its future, America increasingly invests in its past: the elderly"

I kinda like my mom.

What does will want to do? Executer the old?

While claiming it was Obie who did it?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Resident octogenarian

Perhaps China's getting its knickers in a twist over arms to Taiwan and afternoon tea with the Dali Lama will result in enough rancor that we will close the damn border to their crap. Then watch their GDP head for the toilet - and they know damn well that they need us. As for all the treasuries they hold, run the dollar down to 20 cents and repay them. Our exports go through the roof and all those offshore jobs go poof.

Figuring out details for our tax accountant I found that prescription drugs went from $2650 in 2008 to $3100 in 2009 for exactly the same prescriptions, no more no less. Unless my math is bad that was a 16% increase in a year where they said there would be no SS COLA because we had no inflation.

We don't need health care reform we just need to take a few drug company CEOs out behind the barn and shoot them.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Loyal Opposition

What's the use of taking care of myself and losing weight if it's my patriotic duty to die before I get too old? I do, however, plan to contribute in at least some small way to the GDP up until make my closing argument.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Area Man

"In 1900 deaths of people over age 65 were less than 18%."

I bet if I check, I'll find out that the average life expectancy in 1900 was less than 65? So, in light of that, the number would look better for 1900 , as presented, as most people were already dead before they reached that age.

Shall we?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 02-06-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Area Man

And here it is..........https://www.census.gov/statab/hist/HS-16.pdf ..........

Life expectancy for the average American in 1900?......47.3 years.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 02-06-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Area Man

Pete,

So am I to take it that our conservative friend Mr. Will is advocating...."Death Panels"?

But, I'm sure if "The Right" starts advocating such a thing, while tying it to a tax-cut somehow, it will become okay to "whack" the elderly. Our "patriotic duty" even. "God never intended for old farts to live to see 100 anyhow. Besides, what makes you think you have the right to get old and suck on the government teet for thirty years after you stop working anyways, old man? Once people have ceased to be productive citizens, they owe it to our Grandchildren to go away."

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 02-06-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Area Man

But.

I'd have to say you're right, Pete. That is one sobering article. And I tend to think China is inevitably going to end up on top, and there really isn't much we can do about it. I've always thought that if China ever got it's shit together, it would become a juggernaught. It is after all, the largest nation on earth. There are four times as many of those buggers as there are Americans, and they are hungry to establish themselves on the world stage.

The future shall be interesting indeed.

Dave
Old 02-07-2010, 07:23 AM
Resident octogenarian

The only thing we need to watch is just what the Chinese will do to themselves. The last place I worked they were keen on selling into China, big mistake IMHO as they will simply steal your design and under sell you. However, I got to teach their software engineers. The one child per family has lead to a nation of some of the most spoiled little brats you will ever see. Arrogant as hell and really not the least interested in anyone but themselves. Yes it will be interesting to watch, wonder how many more babies they will kill with adulterated milk?

BTW I would not place too much credence in Will's OpEd pieces, the signs of senility are beginning to show. After every one of his columns there will be about six letters to the editor pointing out all the errors.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
BTW I would not place too much credence in Will's OpEd pieces, the signs of senility are beginning to show. After every one of his columns there will be about six letters to the editor pointing out all the errors.
Alzheimers is it? Welp, there goes our insurance premiums.
Time to bump him off. Oh, um, I, I, I mean---time to pray for his speedy
recovery.

Dave