Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
What gets me is here we have this mortgage system that was designed by thieves for thievs, yet nobody seems to want to change it.

How many of you ever re-negotiated to get a better interest rate/ Each time you do you must buy more Title Insurance at $400 a pop. Are you aware that the commission rate is 80%, so the title company takes $320 right off the top.
I am refinancing right now, It helps a lot when your wife represent abstract and title companies.

Another thing I am sure most folks are not aware of is that Wal-Mart through Arvest is buying up title and abstract companies all over this country. The other thing is banks are keeping everything in house. This would have been illegal in 1998. I don't even know why we bother calling them banks anymore.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Thanks Pete, Bob. ps Once my shoulder is better it's back to the grind. I've always underpriced the competition so never have really lacked for work. Some might say I lacked business acumen but they're renters once again. Miserly, hah. I've got so much kraut flowin' thru my veins that I hoard copper pennies. Lack of vision, I guess. Maybe nickles are where I should concentrate my holdings.

Yeah, equity ain't worth the sand it's built on, although it was strange how many Jags and Mercedes we're showing up in the middle class neighborhoods round these parts. I'm of the mind to drive anything I own until it's a wheezing dented up wreck before trading up to someones castoff.
You'll never go wrong by being frugal. Just being out of debt is the greatest stress reliever I've ever taken.

Chas
Old 03-24-2012, 07:43 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
I am refinancing right now, It helps a lot when your wife represent abstract and title companies.

Another thing I am sure most folks are not aware of is that Wal-Mart through Arvest is buying up title and abstract companies all over this country. The other thing is banks are keeping everything in house. This would have been illegal in 1998. I don't even know why we bother calling them banks anymore.
Bought two houses in Canada, never heard of or ever saw a title company, AFAIK they do not exist up north. Mortgage stays with the bank as a 5/25 deal, 25 year life span, interest re-negotiated every 5 years, thends to keep the rate lower. Oh yeah, one signature on one piece of paper, whole document about 6 pages long.

I guess the system here explains something I saw driving across the northern U.S. I saw a sign stating "Entering the NNNN National Forest". We saw exactly one tree.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Resident octogenarian

Guess it all depends on when you bought; paid $1000 an acre for the 4.5 acres. Three years later they were selling lots 6 miles up the road at $135,000 for three acres. House cost $125,000 to build. County now values the land at $325,000 and the house at $250,000.

Last edited by merrylander; 03-24-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Guess it all depends on when you bought; paid $1000 an acre for the 4.5 acres. Three years later they were selling lots 6 miles up the road at $135,000 for three acrres. House cost $125,000 to build. County now values the land at $325,000 and the house at $250,000.
Think of all of the taxe revenue........Is the local economy really that strong, or are property valiues up just because the county assessor says so?

Dave
Old 03-24-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Think of all of the tax revenue........Is the local economy really that strong, or are property values up just because the county assessor says so?

Dave
Happening there too I see.

Barney
Old 03-24-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Think of all of the tax revenue........Is the local economy really that strong, or are property values up just because the county assessor says so?

Dave
Happening there too I see. Guess it is nice to know I'm not alone.

Barney
Old 03-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You'll never go wrong by being frugal. Just being out of debt is the greatest stress reliever I've ever taken.

Chas
I was real close to paying off a credit card then cutting that high interest bugger up. Then, this bulge appeared on my belly. I can't wait to see the bill for that.....

Dave
Old 03-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Happening there too I see. Guess it is nice to know I'm not alone.

Barney
Been happening here for the last twenty years, or so. According to relatives, it's happening in Ohio now too. I wonder what causes that?

Dave
Old 03-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Think of all of the taxe revenue........Is the local economy really that strong, or are property valiues up just because the county assessor says so?

Dave
The reason that the land is valued higher than the house is that just about all of the vacant land hereabouts is disappearing under McMansions and what is left is even further out from DC.

I used to be that you needed a minimum of 3 acres to build out here, mainly because of the 10,000 sq ft septic drain field and a well. Then some genius, prodded no doubt by developers, came up with the idea of cluster housing with smaller lots, individual wells but a common septic system. Should have called it a clusterf**k.

There is nowt funnier than a city dweller and his/her first septic system. T'ain't like city sewers, you need to be careful of what you throw down the drains and it needs a packet of yeast once a month. Forget that crap they advertise on TV, first laundry load kills it. Well the clusterf**k 3 miles up the road had all these McMansions full of city folk. No one was on charge of the septic system and it backed up.