Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:11 PM
Admin

Smile Hot Time in Ye Olde Townhalls

It's a hot time in the old town hall this week... for Republicans.

"BLACKSTONE, Va. — Main Street USA has some new fixtures installed alongside the quiet antique stores, the sturdy masonry, the bright gas stations, the Baptist churches. There is now the Clinton supporter who had breast surgery six weeks ago and drove an hour and 25 minutes, during rush hour, to be heard. There is the Trump supporter who showed up despite the chemo in his veins and cancer in his colon. There are the teenagers wearing Planned Parenthood shirts, the Republicans who are aghast at the 45th president and the mothers carrying signs that say “Women for Dave Brat,” the Virginia Republican who was scheduled for a town hall at 7 p.m. Tuesday in this placid town of 3,500, a few hours — and a world away — from Washington.
Kimberly Wyman was first in line, eight hours early. She wore a black T-shirt with pink letters declaring: “A woman’s place is in the revolution.” She represented many of the people who would queue up behind her on Blackstone’s Main Street: newly involved in politics, hostile to both President Trump and any Republican who supports him and propelled to action by loose online organizing — such as local “huddles” birthed by January’s women’s march, action plans propagated by the “Indivisible” grass-roots movement and outgrowths of the Facebook group Pantsuit Nation (like Together We Will)." WP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...=.2b36db0c61a5
Old 02-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Jigsawed

By now the Republicans should recognize the nature of these.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:42 PM
Admin

"They came by the hundreds, in big cities and rural hamlets, to heckle, plead, badger and, in some instances, to protest the protests themselves.
Congress is in recess this week and a citizenry suddenly spurred to action used the opportunity to let their returning lawmakers know just how they feel about the tempestuous past month in Washington.
“Winners make policy and losers go home,” a taunting Mitch McConnell, the Republican Senate leader, told an invitation-only gathering in his home state of Kentucky, as about 1,000 protesters gathered outside.
Not exactly.
The town hall meeting, a throwback to a time of more intimate connection, has become in the social media age a political organizing tool, a piece of performance theater and a worldwide stage.
Obamacare, immigration, environmental regulation, Social Security, Russian meddling in the 2016 election and Trump, Trump, Trump — all poured forth this week in the form of questions, loudly and heatedly.
The raucous gatherings have been the mirror image of the clamorous sessions that birthed the tea party movement early in President Obama’s term, a conservative opposition that tormented him — and sometimes the GOP establishment — throughout his eight years in office.
In central Florida, Republican Rep. Dennis A. Ross learned that being reelected a third time with 58% of the vote did not guarantee a friendly crowd.

Appearing before about 250 people and a comfort dog, Ross dodged questions, catcalls and boos before exiting just shy of his scheduled hour appearance.
The last question had three parts: about the expense to taxpayers of President Trump’s frequent Florida visits, about his seemingly fondness for Russia and about the president’s still-unseen tax returns.
“This is the first anyone has brought that to my attention,” Ross said of the reported $10 million it cost to shuttle Trump for three trips between Washington and his Palm Beach resort.
The boos were so hearty and long that the rest of Ross’ answer could not be heard, though one word was audible — “Hawaii,” likely a reference to where Obama vacationed.
Then the congressman quickly hustled out the back door to a chant of “Do your job!” — the unofficial rallying cry for those who consider the Republican-run Congress too pliant toward the president."LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...222-story.html

Poor Mitch McConnell.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:05 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Pantsuit Nation

Old 02-22-2017, 05:08 PM

If only these people would get fired up and be out complaining about greedy health providers, hospitals and big pharma.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoToad View Post
If only these people would get fired up and be out complaining about greedy health providers, hospitals and big pharma.
They really don't know who and what they are, but everyone knows by now that Trump is a monster. So it's the squeaky wheel effect.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:16 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Wouldn't it be nice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD4sxxoJGkA
Old 02-22-2017, 05:31 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
First they'd have to recognize the Democratic Party for what it is. It's an example of fooling some of the people all of the time.

Last edited by nailer; 02-22-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:33 PM
Admin

FAIRVIEW, Tenn. — Republican Rep. Marsha Blackburn returned to her district Tuesday in Tennessee and was greeted by tough questions on topics from health care reform to President Donald Trump’s cabinet appointees. She also was met with protests.
While 100 people crammed into her town hall gathering about 30 miles from Nashville, another 100 people outside chanted about immigrant rights, Planned Parenthood and other topics in protest against the congresswoman and the president.

Blackburn’s town hall was among several protests lobbed at GOP members of Congress returning home this week on break to their districts around the U.S. Now many Republican lawmakers are opting against holding public town halls, instead organizing conference calls or meeting privately.
The crowd inside Blackburn’s event held up signs that said ‘‘agree’’ and ‘‘disagree,’’ and at times yelled out ‘‘alternative facts’’ and ‘‘shame on you for lying’’ after Blackburn’s responses.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...baK/story.html

Poor Marsha.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:43 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
By now the Republicans should recognize the nature of these.
Democracy. Ain't it grand?