Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:16 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
I understand your zeal to piss on Tom Joad...
It's just highly entertaining to watch a self-proclaimed progressive heap praise upon an Ayn Rand acolyte like Paul Ryan.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:18 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
It's just highly entertaining to watch a self-proclaimed progressive heap praise upon an Ayn Rand acolyte like Paul Ryan.
Everybody has a price.

Mines 8K.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:22 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Everybody has a price.

Mines 8K.
That's the same line Melania used on der Trumpenfuhrer when he proposed. I'm guessing her price was a lot higher than $8k though.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:31 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
That's the same line Melania used on der Trumpenfuhrer when he proposed. I'm guessing her price was a lot higher than $8k though.
So?

It's all relative Dude.

I can buy a lot of burgers with $8K.

Melania on the other hand, might be able to get a pair of shoes for that.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 02-25-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:36 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Now, did this provision get included in the draft plan? I don't know, and I strongly suspect neither do you.
According to finn, there is no Ryan plan so you must be creating fake news just like your Trumpenfuhrer.

Last edited by nailer; 02-28-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
According to finn, there is no Ryan plan so you must be creating fake news just like you're Trumpenfuhrer.
What he's put out won't get enough Congressional support, nor has it been scored by the CBO. It's nothing more than a Randian pipedream.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:56 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
What he's put out won't get enough Congressional support, nor has it been scored by the CBO. It's nothing more than a Randian pipedream.
As a retired GAOer, I can safely say that the CBO doesn' know what it's doing.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:07 AM

Okay folks,
My wife, kids and I spend about $1300/month on health care. That is all inclusive. I, and my boys, are chronic patients. If we had to pay 100% of our care, at the NEGOTIATED rate the insurance declares on the EOB's, we would be more like $200k per year. At the non negotiated rates, we would likely be close to triple that.

I am on SSDI(MS), my wife works and has a good job with good benefits. Our weekly insurance premium(included in the above cost) is about $135.

What are my complaints - I wish I wasn't sick and didn't need to spend this money. I have excellent doctors, who now have a reputation of being excellent and it is getting hard to see them. They are always booked. Because of my medical conditions, I cannot see just any doctor, I must have a good doctor who also knows me and my history. Otherwis, my health, and health care costs would become far worse. If I had to pay for my premiuns and my copays, I would not be able to do so. It would take all of my SSDI and then some.

This is a real world scenario. I would bet this is one, that if examined closely, would highlight a huge number of problems with the health care system.

So, folks, tear this apart and tell me what is wrong(if anything) with this picture and how we can fix it.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
Okay folks,

My wife, kids and I spend about $1300/month on health care. That is all inclusive. I, and my boys, are chronic patients. If we had to pay 100% of our care, at the NEGOTIATED rate the insurance declares on the EOB's, we would be more like $200k per year. At the non negotiated rates, we would likely be close to triple that.

I am on SSDI(MS), my wife works and has a good job with good benefits. Our weekly insurance premium(included in the above cost) is about $135.

What are my complaints - I wish I wasn't sick and didn't need to spend this money. I have excellent doctors, who now have a reputation of being excellent and it is getting hard to see them. They are always booked. Because of my medical conditions, I cannot see just any doctor, I must have a good doctor who also knows me and my history. Otherwis, my health, and health care costs would become far worse. If I had to pay for my premiuns and my copays, I would not be able to do so. It would take all of my SSDI and then some.

This is a real world scenario. I would bet this is one, that if examined closely, would highlight a huge number of problems with the health care system.

So, folks, tear this apart and tell me what is wrong(if anything) with this picture and how we can fix it.

Sorry to hear of your health problems.

Your situation is a lot like my husband. He has been medically retired for over twenty years. Like you, it is important that he sees docs who understand his history and illness.
I'm lucky to have a job with excellent health benefits. About ten years ago he had to have three brain surgery at UCSF and was there for two months. My co pay was $10.00. Can't get more lucky than that.

But...... It took us a long road to get here.

Along the way we lost everything..... Twice.

And as good as my ins is now..... We now find ourselves in another bind.
I was diagnosed with cancer a while back and as a result of the treatment, I now have other health issues. I would love to retire and just take care of myself and heal but I can't until I am old enough for Medicare.

The bottom line is that our health insurance is tied to employment. How can sick people keep and maintain employment to have the needed insurance when they are so sick?

But there is so much more......
The system is broken in so many ways. Many times I have considered what I would do to fix it if I had the power. First.... I would get rid of the insurance companies.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:46 AM

To fix it would be that everyone vote straight Democratic ticket and elect a Democratic House and Senate. One must remember that single payer would require a significant transfer of wealth via taxation and higher taxes for everyone also. Replacing insurance companies would make everyone happy for a while but then the anger would be directed at whatever name our new National Health care system would have, which would probably Medicare For All.

And there would be significant rationing. Cataracts, knee repairs, laser surgery, torn rotator cuffs would have longer wait times for operating rooms the federal government will be rationing. Of course private plans would still be around for those able to afford it, so the wealthier could go to private surgeons and hospitals to get surgeries done on demand.

I would vote for it. However I don't think the people continually sending Congresspersons that oppose it over and over again to Washington will. Or they don't know that they are voting against their own self-interests.

The enemy is not the insurance companies but a decline in the middle class which has decreased decent jobs with insurance and a deep, cultural distrust of government run health care that has not completely left us in the 21st century.

Last edited by icenine; 02-28-2017 at 09:51 AM.