Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:36 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Where is the incentive to work then? On this topic I am more aligned with Zero, if people do not need to work, most won't. And most people if they can get away without doing much at work will.

Then there is the instance where there is a group of five people, let's say the work load increased to justify ten, so you add five more people to the group. Later the workload halves, the ten people will look busy doing five people's work. This has been proven time and time again and probably what happens in government establishments where people cannot be fired, or in behemoth companies where the manager's salary is based on the number of people he/she supervises. This is why large companies typically have massive layoffs, eventually payroll does not justify the revenues.

From my experience, people work because they need to work, not because they want to or like. When some one tells me they love their job my usual response is "would you work if you didn't have to?". I usually get a blank expression.
People will work, first of all, if they want more than the minimum. And if they want status, and the sense of accomplishment and contribution, and to meet family expectations. All the strivers will not all turn into slackers.

\It would be different. Use your imagination some. I'm just wondering here, don't claim to have all the answers. But the system as it is is not optimal. People forced to work, often doing unnecessary or harmful stuff. And the system is breaking down--to many rewards held at the top, too many people redundant....
Old 01-26-2017, 11:38 AM
Ready

Quote:
I was a consultant for a Canadian company whose owner owner refused to hire any ex-government employee or someone who worked for a large company. Absolutely no exceptions. I am now a dedicated convert.
You are a dedicated bigot then. Absolute negative categorization of people is called bigotry.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
You are a dedicated bigot then. Absolute negative categorization of people is called bigotry.
And you are clueless as to how the real world works in business. I would rather be bigoted than a bankrupt idiot. I have to put my homes as collataral in order to borrow money for capital equipment (typical for small private companies) and you think I am going to be an ideologue like you?

Easier to pontificate than actually walk the walk.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:10 PM
Ready

Is there anything that can't be justified by 'having to puts one's homes on the line?'
Old 01-26-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Is there anything that can't be justified by 'having to puts one's homes on the line?'
That's all you got? Here is something an employee once told me.
You will not know the value of money till you don't have it.
Have you owned a business with a number of employees or started your own business with borrowed money?

PS: Will be off line for some time.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:28 PM
Admin

C'mon DQ, Raj is one of the good guys (for a capitalist running dog) - .
Old 01-26-2017, 01:18 PM
Ready

Certainly the risk in starting a business by going all-in is sharp and nerve-wracking to the extreme. One wonders whether mere desire for a living income would motivate taking such risk (goes to the motives for work as we've been discussing).

Raj doesn't care if he's offensive to 'Hillarybots,' so I don't handle him with the soft gloves.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Where is the incentive to work then?
The incentive to work is a living wage. If you're working full time or having to work two jobs because nobody will staff full time and you still have to apply for food stamps and government assistance and Medicaid or starve then there isn't much incentive to work because it's just a hopeless cycle. And lets be honest, people really don't want government aid, they want a living wage.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:22 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
I was a consultant for a Canadian company whose owner owner refused to hire any ex-government employee or someone who worked for a large company. Absolutely no exceptions. I am now a dedicated convert.
As I often said when I worked for the FDOT, "If I had an employee like me, I'd fire him"

Most of my coworkers however had deluded themselves into truly believing that the meaningless bullshit paperwork that they shuffled day in and day out was actually contributing something of value to society.

One exception was the dude that was my first boss. He didn't hire me, he just got stuck with me. I think one of the first things he said to me was "Welcome to your non-job". We used to car pool. One day, on the way home he asked me "How much real work did you do today?"

I tried to be honest and I replied, "I think that I did about 15 minutes worth in the 8 hour day"

Then he said "Oh? what was that?" And I had to admit that I was stumped.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 01-26-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:33 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
And you are clueless as to how the real world works in business. I would rather be bigoted than a bankrupt idiot. I have to put my homes as collataral in order to borrow money for capital equipment (typical for small private companies) and you think I am going to be an ideologue like you?

Easier to pontificate than actually walk the walk.
Believe me Rajoo, every day, Ok, not every day, but every now and then, I thank the God that I don't believe in for the type A workaholics like yourself that carry the load for us slackers.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 01-26-2017 at 03:48 PM.