Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:44 PM

I have been in Portland, OR since this Sunday and there is no sales tax here, but there is state income tax. Going to WA this afternoon and will be there for a few days, there is no state income tax but they do pay sales tax. Now in California, we pay both state and sales taxes.

So the government of CA edicts a rise in minimum wage, costs will proportionately go up (rent is at some point more of a supply issue) and in the end, people will wind up spending (or having to due to increase in prices) the additional income. So who gains? The government of course, since they get to tax every penny we earn one way or the other. They get a windfall for doing nothing.

So CA wants to increase the minimum wage, great. Have them reduce the sales tax proportionately. Will it happen? Never.

Last edited by Rajoo; 10-22-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:22 PM

Rent increases are a result of the supply and demand. More renters and less apartments mean higher rents. I doubt very much that a minimum wage of $12 will impact that formula. In fact I think that booming real estate costs determine the local apartment rents more than anything else...that is when they really go up. I think that a person getting paid low wages are sometimes victims of other classes being able to afford the American Dream. In other words if a home costs a million dollars in parts of San Diego county those working minimum wage need some cost of living help in those areas.

I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes both income and sales tax. Because I am a CalVet my daughter goes to Pomona tuition free so I don't mind paying taxes here.

My wife's employer does not pay for holidays even ones like Christmas. If you get ill they do not pay any sort of compensation but the CA EDD does. Of course my wife has me and my income to fall back on but many of her co-workers not connected to the middle class like we are. The $10 an hour is all they have.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I know I may seem like an asshole, and most likely I am. I am not the same icenine when I came here 5 years ago so my apologies.
We are good.

First, my apologies to the board if I rubbed salt in anybodies wounds. Second, I actually got a lot of good information from this thread. Lots to think about.

I do have to say that my moms plight has skewed me quite a bit. I also have to say the minimum wage had little to do with rent increases in Colorado. Rents really boomed in the last two years, about the time we legalized marijuana. But, before that they had risen significantly too. In retrospect, I think it may have little to do more with the recovery of the economy from the 2008 crash - maybe?
Old 10-27-2016, 09:25 PM

Bagley Cartoon: Game of Life - http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/451574...n-game-of-life

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2016, 07:05 AM

My input to this discussion is a simple one, tie any increase in elected officials salary to the minimum wage. If one thinks they need a raise so should the other.

Barney