Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:59 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.
Got a mirror handy?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:01 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
They may just be not wanting to rush in order to get it right this time.
Then, why did they rush?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:27 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Yep. Taxing the wealthy is "immoral" (It's even been suggested that the poor be taxed more, to relieve the "oppressive burden" on the wealthy.), taxing the young to provide for the elderly is "generational theft" (I've been told "I know damn well there's people in their 80s that can still work."), using tax money to provide care for low income folks is a "handout", etc., etc................ You've seen it. We've been listening to it for years.

They've tried to tie it to religion by throwing around cherry-picked scripture like "He who does not work, shall not eat.".......

Nothing new, here Pat. These are the assholes steeped in the culture of "Greed is Good" unleashed the 1980s. The small businessmen who fancy themselves the big businessmen that Reagan spoke of.......regardless of how corrupt or incompetent they are. They shouldn't have to work hard, know what they're doing or jump any hurdles, the rest of the world should expect less of them so their path to oligarchic plutocracy is easier.

See how that works?
Old 04-02-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Got a mirror handy?
Whatever, Finn. All I can tell you is that - certainly on this issue as well as others - I've been consistent since 2010 when this law passed. So far, the observations I've made on the ACA have been pretty accurate.

One of the observations that I made early on is that the "Affordable" Care Act had no provisions for addressing the rising cost of premiums, and that, in fact, the Act increased upward pressure on health premiums. This would cause carriers to exit the individual health insurance market and/or the exchanges.

Well, here's more evidence of that exact scenario coming to pass.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/31/u...reas.html?_r=0

So, when I look in the mirror I see consistency.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:26 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Whatever, Finn. All I can tell you is that - certainly on this issue as well as others - I've been consistent since 2010 when this law passed. So far, the observations I've made on the ACA have been pretty accurate.

One of the observations that I made early on is that the "Affordable" Care Act had no provisions for addressing the rising cost of premiums, and that, in fact, the Act increased upward pressure on health premiums. This would cause carriers to exit the individual health insurance market and/or the exchanges.

Well, here's more evidence of that exact scenario coming to pass.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/31/u...reas.html?_r=0

So, when I look in the mirror I see consistency.
And all of this has a great deal to do with Rubio undermining "risk corridor" provisions intended to alleviate the very issue you address.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/10/u...-care-act.html

In any event, the GOP has the House, Senate and White House, with help from their demonization of Obamacare (that they were busy undermining). Now, with a chance to fix or replace, they have shown that they actually have no idea what to do about it. It has gotten so bad for them that Trump has met twice recently with Ezekiel Emanuel (Obamacare's architect) to help figure out a fix. Yet, Trump ran on a promise to replace Obamacare with a terrific system that would provide better, cheaper care for everybody. How'd that work out?

Last edited by finnbow; 04-02-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:38 AM

An insider's opinion.

Obamacare Can Survive Trump

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/o...ml?ref=opinion
Old 04-02-2017, 09:49 AM

Entitlements cannot be taken away. I imagine that even in the gerrymandered districts the Freedom Caucus members come from there would be a lot of people losing the expanded medicaid benefits. Ryan was trying to go fast in the hopes no one would notice what he was doing and he was not successful.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:23 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Then, why did they rush?
The Republicans had nothing to loose (which I pointed out in the following sentence of the 3/08/17 post you've taken out of context) and fulfilling campaign promises.

Last edited by nailer; 04-02-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:28 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Then, why did they rush?
Because they wanted to pocket the $1 trillion savings from cutting health care coverage for 24 million people to pay for tax cuts for the wealthy in their upcoming tax reform effort. Now, they're going to have to look elsewhere for savings/revenue to pay for such tax cuts, including Ryan's border adjustment (import) tax.

Last edited by finnbow; 04-02-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:29 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Entitlements cannot be taken away.
Yes they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I imagine that even in the gerrymandered districts the Freedom Caucus members come from there would be a lot of people losing the expanded medicaid benefits. Ryan was trying to go fast in the hopes no one would notice what he was doing and he was not successful.