Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-21-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I'm curious, too. My marantz 2270s sound nice, my Adcom 555s sound nice but my Magnavox 150 bi amp monoblocks (only 25 watts each) blow them all away. I've heard some nice high end soiled state, Levinson and MacIntosh for example, that are better than what I own.

It's interesting to note that my Vandersteen Threes (which I got cheap) were voiced on Audio Research tube amps. Should I ever win the Irish Sweepstakes I would spring for AR tubeage but since I'm a poor tinkerer and a cheap sumbitch...

....resurrecting an old style tech set of biamp Magnavox console amps suffices for me. (best of both worlds, single ended high frequency amp 6AT6>6V6GT and parallel push pull low frequency amp 12AT7>(4)6V6GT on each chassis).
I know it is SS but check out the MC250. It sounds like a tube amp and can keep up with the MC275 tube amp. Hard to believe. A good example can be had for $800 bucks or less. A unit in need of a rebuild and not on perfect condition can be had for a fraction of that price. Go to the McIntosh AK forum and search. There is a recent thread on the MC250. I think I might try one out myself.