Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:57 AM

Liz Cheney for President?

Do you think Liz Cheney will run for president if/when she loses her current position?

Do you think she would have a chance at the presidency?
Old 08-15-2022, 12:28 PM
Ready

Yes if she got the Republican nomination, but she won't. If she ran third party she'd get some Republican votes, and some independent votes that would have gone Democratic. Don't know which side she'd hurt more. But if both major party candidates had real high negatives (say, Trump vs Biden) she might actually win that way.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:08 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

She may indeed run in an effort to get on the debate stage with Trump and/or other MAGA candidates and rip them a new asshole for their dishonesty and criminality, but she has no chance in today's GOP where dishonesty and criminality seem to be essential qualities in a candidate.

Last edited by finnbow; 08-15-2022 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:50 PM

You both make good points.
Old 08-15-2022, 05:27 PM

I don't think she has a chance in 2024, but perhaps later. I would hope that she challenges Trump for the nomination in 2024 though, it can only help her since she will gain nation wide recognition, always a plus for an ambitious politician.

Should be very interesting if she picks Trump apart citing misdeeds from all of the ongoing investigations. Like why did you steal government documents? Why did you incite your supporters from the January 6th rally? Wonder though how the GOP will respond if no one else challenges Trump for the nomination.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:15 AM

If TFG were free to run again there is zero chance he'd appear in a debate with Liz Cheney for that very reason. As a third party candidate I think hurt the GOP more. I think she'd get more Independents and sane Repubs that can't bring themselves to vote Democrat than Democrat crossover voters. This could work against tRump or any trump-like candidate
Old 08-16-2022, 07:28 AM

Not to mention that it takes $$$$ to run for Prez. Not only has she blown through a sizable chunk of money for her re-election bid, she'd then need to attract donors in a hurry between now and 2024.

I don't see her attracting that many donors, especially the deep-pockets types that are needed by national candidates. I think she has more name recognition among Dems than Repubs, and the only thing most Repubs know about her is that she and her family hate Trump. Hating someone else is hardly a campaign message that will galvanize and motivate donors, or voters for that matter.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:32 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Not to mention that it takes $$$$ to run for Prez. Not only has she blown through a sizable chunk of money for her re-election bid, she'd then need to attract donors in a hurry between now and 2024.
Untrue.

She is likely to finish the race with a substantial unspent war chest, reflecting both the ease with which she raised money from anti-Trump donors across the country and the futility of dumping millions of dollars into a lost cause. Three weeks ago, she still had $7.4 million in the bank in a state where TV ads are cheap.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...ture-rcna43046
Old 08-16-2022, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
If TFG were free to run again there is zero chance he'd appear in a debate with Liz Cheney for that very reason.
If Trump were a typical political animal, I'd agree with you. He's not, though, and I think he'd salivate at a chance to be on a debate stage with her. Whether it would be to his detriment or not, one can only speculate.

It used to be that men going after women in a debate didn't play well on TV: I'm thinking Rick Lazio for example. I think a lot has changed in our society between 2000 and today.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:35 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
If Trump were a typical political animal, I'd agree with you. He's not, though, and I think he'd salivate at a chance to be on a debate stage with her. Whether it would be to his detriment or not, one can only speculate.

It used to be that men going after women in a debate didn't play well on TV: I'm thinking Rick Lazio for example. I think a lot has changed in our society between 2000 and today.
Indeed. Cruelty and misogyny are now considered desirable traits in today's GOP.