Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-27-2023, 06:52 PM

Oerets
So you are saying you like owing an AR15 style weapon just for the fun of shooting it?
I do not mean to sound accusatory but could you not have fun shooting a less lethal weapon? Maybe if I had ever had the experience of shooting a firearm I would understand better.
By the way I totally respect your viewpoint and think your suggestions for gun ownership are great.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:16 PM
Ready

As I read the Constitution's ill-written political albatross, the 2nd amendment, your right to bear arms depends on you being of good enough character and trainable enough that the local militia would have you. That translates very well into the background and training requirements you mention. The assault weapon ban is a bit trickier to get past the old 2nd A, though of course the right Supreme Court would find a way. The answer is probably in that phrase 'well-regulated.' I'm willing to say you have to be quite regulated indeed to rate an assault weapon.

Last edited by donquixote99; 03-27-2023 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Oerets
So you are saying you like owing an AR15 style weapon just for the fun of shooting it?
I do not mean to sound accusatory but could you not have fun shooting a less lethal weapon? Maybe if I had ever had the experience of shooting a firearm I would understand better.
By the way I totally respect your viewpoint and think your suggestions for gun ownership are great.
The AR was purchased relatively resent. Went years not having a larger than a .22 mag fed semi auto rifle. A good friend bought one on sale. At the time IIRC all of the people I knew who were on the Right were buying them up like crazy.

Got immense pleasure buying it and seeing the look on their faces knowing Lefty can also own one. The rifle is a very easy weapon to use. Will go to the range with my friend and shoot. We both have a love of weapons. All kinds and this is a hobby .

I have a permit by the state and have been for over thirty years. Guns registered too. Like I said before grew up around firearms. Living on a farm and did varmaint hunting with my Grandfather and Father. Spending the day with my wife and her Father at the range. Teaching and shooting with my sons.

Can legally carry concealed pistol.
Do I?
No! Could not remember the last time I carried.

Last edited by Oerets; 03-27-2023 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:24 PM
Ready

By all accounts the AR-15 is fun to shoot if you like to shoot. Way way back, I remember my friend's Mini-15 was fun to shoot. Of course, I think the real appeal is what the AR-15 has come to mean, in your case maybe "family and tradition," or very commonly "freedom made tangible (and expensive)" or "my fears shall be no more" or "fear me!" or "power to people like us!" or any number of such expressions. (I won't say "rednecks rule"....)
Old 03-27-2023, 09:53 PM

Only speaking from personal experience. Come from family friends all shooting sport fans. Family get together’s cookouts would on occasion have target practice. Most hunt fish enjoy outdoor activities. Competition shooting for bragging rights or even Turkey shoots.
Even my wife was raised knowing how to use firearms.

In this country it is a sad state when more attention to changing laws. Is now being given to the sexual in nature content exposed to our children. Then to lethal weapons exposure and availability.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:32 PM
Ready

The current sex panic is ridiculous, as these panics always are. Remember when everyone went nuts over the imagined Satanists at the daycares?

There's a saying from the Talmud, the last part of which is quoted a lot: "But man was created alone to teach you that whoever kills one life kills the world entire, and whoever saves one life saves the world entire."

People who say that the school shootings kill few in our nation of hundreds of millions need to ponder the first part. Even one child killed is an infinite loss.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:49 AM

I be fine with a complete ban on what is called Assault weapons. With a buy back from current owners of some type. Or just a strict hurdle of permitting to own one. High capacity mag semi auto pistols also be included into any legislation enacted.
Buying back money funded from licensing fees and the gun industry. For the gun industry is behind the sales. Driven to ever increasing levels.

Even a requirement of carrying high liability insurance.

Again in this country having a Drag Queen show, Transgender student, ect....books that have subjects some dislike..... gets quick and draconian action.
Yet what number of shooting's is the magic one to finally get some real action?

Last edited by Oerets; 03-28-2023 at 05:53 AM.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Firearm owner since boyhood and own a AR15 style weapon with 30 round mags.

Would I give it up?
Of course if the country enacted legislation requiring this for everyone. Would expect some sort of compensation. Tax rebate or the likes.

I'm in favor of having all who want to own any firearm pass a background check. Take weapon safety training and show proficiency in their use. Then be licensed, permitted and also carry liability insurance. A one going requirement.

All sales require paperwork and background checking. Even at gun shows or private sales.
The need to go to a local PD and have it transferred.

Strictly enforced!

As a owner of these weapons, not for hunting rather as sport shooting. Target practice and getting together with friends. Have a much fun with the Black ,.22's as the 30-06's, 556's.

The feel has changed over the years when shooting at gun ranges. Today there are many new shooters buying weapons with little background knowledge. Ignorant of safety or proper weapon maintenance. many a time I will leave the range due to unsafe shooters. Playing rapid fire, video game movie type shooting.
^^^^ This!!!

And the Gun Show "loop hole" thingy is mispresented. If they have a table they are doing back ground. The "loop hole" is the private sales occurring at the gun show, same laws apply as if you came to my house to buy, its a private transaction with no requirement for a back ground check. It should be required!

BTW we were doing some steel plate ringin' with our AR-15/22 and 1911/22 yesterday. Familiarization and safe usage training for the GF and a couple of her friends.

Last edited by GChief; 03-28-2023 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChief View Post
^^^^ This!!!

And the Gun Show "loop hole" thingy is mispresented. If they have a table they are doing back ground. The "loop hole" is the private sales occurring at the gun show, same laws apply as if you came to my house to buy, its a private transaction with no requirement for a back ground check. It should be required!
My solution is all sales, transfers ALL. needing to be documented by law enforcement.

Period!

The gun show having a table with law enforcement doing the background checks and registering. Or go to the local PD station and complete the actions needed.

Any not would be deemed illegal and strict penalties enforced.

SWMBO with a 9mm 1911 at the range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RB 1911 9mm.jpg (141.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Oerets; 03-28-2023 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChief View Post
^^^^ This!!!

BTW we were doing some steel plate ringin' with our AR-15/22 and 1911/22 yesterday. Familiarization and safe usage training for the GF and a couple of her friends.
The "loophole" is straw buyers making multiple "private" purchases at them for resale for profit to those that are "prohibited" for plainly criminal purposes.
Enforcement of existing prohibitions has been lax to nonexistent.

Last edited by Pio1980; 03-28-2023 at 08:29 AM.