Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Oil is a world security interest, just about every last person on earths' prosperity is tied to it, what little of it many have.

That it (Iraq) is far, far from being our worse loss is all.

Although even Vietnam did accomplish some things though, as did Iraq.

Pete
If you believe that, then go give your own life. Too old? That's okay, your kid probably isn't. I'm sure there is a recruiter in Cleveland somewhere. Or do you believe in taking the Bush/Cheney/Romney priviledged chickenhawk approach? Oh, that's right-----you're too poor.

Financially speaking, it is the worst, 'cept for WW 1&2 and tha Civil War, maybe. But, we had other, more legimate reasons for fighting those wars and we didn't have to lie to get the people to support it. Plus....we actually won those ones....without having to dogmatically insist we did while telling more lies in the GOP propaganda machine.

What did Vietnam accomplish? Other than profit the MIC to astounding heights and ruin the lives of hundreds of thousands of our own young men?

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 03-22-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Although even Vietnam did accomplish some things though, as did Iraq.

Pete
Yep. They both spent a lot of treasure, killed a lot of people, and divided the nation while not achieving any meaningful strategic objectives.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:26 AM
Resident octogenarian

Though I live close to it I have never been to the Vietnam Memorial, I don't believ I could look at it without tears.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Yep. They both spent a lot of treasure, killed a lot of people, and divided the nation while not achieving any meaningful strategic objectives.
But while Vietnam hurt the US economy, Iraq pretty well destroyed it. The US still had a huge manufacturing base so recovery was possible. However, during the Iraq war, the real cause of US strength was decimated, which is why the recovery was slow, and total recovery is likely impossible.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Though I live close to it I have never been to the Vietnam Memorial, I don't believ I could look at it without tears.
It was a humbling, heart wrenching experience to visit it. And see the names of all those poor kids, whose lives were wasted by idiot politicians.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:48 AM
Resident octogenarian

Wars of aggresion are really not new here, the Mexican-American war was a poure land grab.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Wars of aggresion are really not new here, the Mexican-American war was a poure land grab.
As was the Spanish-American War.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 AM
Resident octogenarian

Here is an interesting site regarding the outcome of that land grab

http://infinito9.com/landgrants/references.html
Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I thought Mexicos' government had no real control over much of the grab. Wasn't it mostly Comanche territory?

And the Spanish had taken that land themselves.... of course that was a different time.

Vietnam did stop communist expansion in SE Asia.

Iraq destroyed our economy? A little dramatic, don't'cha think?

Pete
Old 03-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Resident octogenarian

Sam Houston and his buddies were unhappy about something went to Texas and became Mexican citizens. The then decided that they wanted to be independent and revolted. This led to the thirty minute battle of the Alamo which Santa Ana won handily.

They then said they wanted to be part of the United Stated but Mexico refused to aquiesce to letting Texas go. Polk got his knickers in a twist and went to war. A treaty was signed that said all Mexicans living in Texas could keep their land and remain there. Along came all the carpetbaggers, Stephen Austin and his 10 Texas Rapists (Ooops sorry) Rangers and proceeded to rape and pillage. The King Ranch was the righful property of Jose Narciso Cavazos, my wife's ancestor but Richard King went to what passed itself off as the government and said he would pay the land tax on the ranch. There in fact was no tax on the land as it had not occured to them to tax the land. No notice of taxes due was ever sent to Jose Narciso Cavazos. So King through chicanery and a corrupt government got 600,000 acres for $695. Try that link, it makes interesting reading.

Last edited by merrylander; 03-25-2013 at 10:50 AM.