Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Both draw from the same labor pool but one has to make a profit, one can break even.
I think that is hitting the nail on the head. It's just true. Sorry, the rumors of Government's inability have been greatly over-stated.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:49 AM

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Sorry, the rumors of Government's inability have been greatly over-stated.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/
Old 10-02-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
Sorry, what does this have to do with government efficency? The IOC still hates America. So? They always have.

You keep throwing out anecdotals. So just to be clear. We would have to have the Olympics 100% of the time, cure Aids and H1N1 in order for you to say the Government was working?

That's a high bar. How high is your bar for the "private sector"? GM bankrupt. AIG. Enron. Any of that count as private sector not working?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
They are not allowed to deliver to your mailbox.

Now, new developments are required to have all mailboxes clustered by the entrance. If you want door delivery you're out of luck because of the monopoly the USPS has.

And if the Post Office was efficient, why does UPS even exist?

Pete

No, they deliver it right to my front door, I have to walk 150 feet down the driveway to get my mail, unless it is a big parcel.

Before I quit eBay I used to send treasury money orders (commonly called paper money) to pay the seller. USPS always delivered quickly, never lost an envelope and I never got stiffed by a seller.

Sent a beautiful stereo receiver to Canada with UPS and they nearly destroyed it. Although I have an account with UPS they sometimes make me wonder why they exist. Now if I could get USPS to pick up 50 pound packages and not have me wrestle them into the car, out of the car and into the post office I would cancel the contract.

When I do go to the post office the ladies greet me warmly, looka after my mailing quickly. When I tried to get UPS to cough up all I got was some abrasive b**ch lecturing me on how to pack, even after I told her that they (UPS) had unpacked the receiver and then re-packed it - badly, very badly.

Now maybe USPS needs to install floor level scales to weigh large packages, lifting a 50 pound 24x18x12 box to shoulder level in no longer my bag.

As you might immagine when I came here 26 years ago I had, of necessity, considerable contact with government. Only time I was hassled was going in for my naturalization ceremony. I, the friendly neighborhood WASP, was carrying a briefcase, my wife (of Spanish/Italian heritage) was taken by the guard as the potential citizen and I the lawyer (she was born here) and he got really snarky. I imagine he regrets his actions now because when I recounted the matter to my Senator she had someone jerk a knot in his tail.

Now my interactions with private industry are another story.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post

You keep throwing out anecdotals.
and refusing to respond to follow up questions after outlandish claims

it's called post and hide

I'll leave it at that
Old 10-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

If the Post Office is so darn efficient, why are they afraid of UPS?

A few years ago, when I lived in Parma OH, their post office there had a partition behind the cash registers instead of a full wall.

Waiting in line one day, I stretched up to peek over it. There was a huge banner hanging in the back that said 'UPS says we wouldn't last a day in the open market. PROVE THEM WRONG.'

I hire a guy, I pay fair wages and decent benefits. The government hires a guy, they pay fair wages and obscene benefits. Not many of us could retire at 50 in the private sector.

Once again, if the gov't is more efficient, what are they afraid of?

And there might not be profits, but somehow billions upon billions of IOUs are sitting in a safe in Washington where our Social Security should be.

Pete
Old 10-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Social Security should be.

Pete
SS was dumped into general revenue
Old 10-02-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Waiting in line one day, I stretched up to peek over it. There was a huge banner hanging in the back that said 'UPS says we wouldn't last a day in the open market. PROVE THEM WRONG.'
Doesn't sound like they're affraid of anything. Sounds like they're trying to motivate their employees. Question is, if UPS is so much better, why were you at the post office?
Old 10-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

If they weren't afraid they'd drop the monopoly. But how on earth can you be competitive when you can't fire anybody?

If UPS knew they'd be stopping at most houses every day on their routes, instead of just driving by them, their package rates would go down.

I was at the post office to ship international parcel post, which they no longer offer.

Pete
Old 10-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Btw, it just occurred to me - I bet the UPS drivers would HATE deliving letters.

Pete