Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:09 AM
Ready

Hopefully the child's trauma will be fleeting. I don't remember anything from when I was two years old....

Carrying the weapon in a condition in which a two-year-old could fire it. and then letting it out of her physical control and into his, indeed sends the mother to the top of the Darwin Awards list.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:59 AM

Supposedly the husband is defending his wife's actions in that she 1) had a purse designed for concealed carry and 2) she was trained to always be safe.

IMO the defense misses the point. A purse designed for concealed carry is NOT necessarily designed to safely leave a weapon in the care of a two year old. Second, firearms training, at least the way I was taught, was to leave the gun at home in a safe.

Supposedly the wife also liked hunting. I doubt she was hunting in a department store.

I understand the attraction to a woman with a gun. I have seen it first hand in Alaska. There is something about a woman with a baseball cap, hip-waders, and a nickel plated pistol on her hip. Still, at some point between Alaska and the lower 48, the attraction has to give way to common sense. Common sense says that in Alaska the distance between where grizzly bears dwell and where the department store is is a few hundred yards in the daytime. The distance is considerably farther in most parts of the lower 48.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:03 AM
Banned

This story belongs in the "Thinning the Herd" section of Chuck Shepherd's News of the Weird.

I would suggest that the world is lucky this didn't kill somebody else's mother in the Walmart. Or kill the child, or somebody else's child. And that had Rutledge survived, or not been shot at all, that she would have been charged and prosecuted for at least involuntary manslaughter. If nobody had been hurt, prosecuted for child endangerment and have this poor kid taken away and permanently placed with a foster mother with at least half a brain.

As far as the child is concerned, the child shouldn't remember anything. The hippocampus really doesn't start processing explicit or declarative memory until age 4/5 or so. But he will grow up with no mother...and IMHO the boy should never be told how his mother died...ever. As far as I'm concerned, the stupid woman killed herself.

It that harsh? Tough shit. The level of endangerment to their own child, much less to the public, by these idiotic parents is beyond belief.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 12-31-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:00 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
Supposedly the husband is defending his wife's actions in that she 1) had a purse designed for concealed carry and 2) she was trained to always be safe.

IMO the defense misses the point. A purse designed for concealed carry is NOT necessarily designed to safely leave a weapon in the care of a two year old. Second, firearms training, at least the way I was taught, was to leave the gun at home in a safe.
Right wing gun nuts actually believe they need to have a loaded weapon within arms reach 24/7. You can't fix that kind of stupid with training.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 12-31-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Right wing gun nuts actually believe they need to have a loaded weapon within arms reach 24/7. You can't fix that kind of stupid with training.
No, you can't but you can weed out some of the hopeless cases with training, assuming the training culminates in a final test that determines whether you can actually own a gun.

This would tend to reduce the number of guns sold, of course, so the NRA would never go for it.

John
Old 12-31-2014, 10:23 AM

I found this Q&A interesting.

When choosing to carry in a concealed carry purse, here are some questions you might ask yourself in making this decision:

Am I forgetful?
Have I left my purse behind in the last 6 months, in the restroom, a restaurant or store?
Am I around small children regularly who might have access to my purse?
Am I willing to carry my purse cross-body to minimize risk of someone taking my purse?
Can I keep it on me and store it properly when it must be off my body?
Will I vow to always have my gun in a holster in a designated compartment of the purse?
Am I disciplined enough to practice the awkward draw and use of my gun from the concealed carry purse? (yes, you may very likely need to shoot through the purse to not loose the precious seconds)

http://thewellarmedwoman.com/index.p...ed-carry-purse

I would add, do you need a gun to shop at Walmart with your kids in Hayden, ID.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
probably not, but you'll never convince the gun humpers of that fact.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:39 AM

Things went nicer with America when the Me Generation standed for enjoying Coca-Cola.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:23 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
Only 2/10 of one percent of the population is black.

Can't see why the right wingers wouldn't feel safe there.

http://factfinder.census.gov/faces/t...xhtml?src=bkmk

Total population 13,294
White 12,642 95.1%
Black or African American 27 0.2%
American Indian and Alaska Native 123 0.9%
Asian 114 0.9%
Old 12-31-2014, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post

Supposedly the wife also liked hunting. I doubt she was hunting in a department store.

I understand the attraction to a woman with a gun. I have seen it first hand in Alaska. There is something about a woman with a baseball cap, hip-waders, and a nickel plated pistol on her hip. Still, at some point between Alaska and the lower 48, the attraction has to give way to common sense. Common sense says that in Alaska the distance between where grizzly bears dwell and where the department store is is a few hundred yards in the daytime. The distance is considerably farther in most parts of the lower 48.
Personally I prefer a woman with a good book in her hand, or at a movie festival. Or even better, one who can play a Telecaster and carry a tune.