Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
The storied Cleveland Air Show was cancelled too.

Money problem solved!

Pete
Tough shit for you. You have gotten your cuts via the sequester, go cry in your beer.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Boohoohoo (slurp), boohoohoo (slurp)

Pete
Old 05-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Boohoohoo (slurp), boohoohoo (slurp)

Pete
You could always tack some wings on the Lincoln and deliver some meals on wheels..when you sober up.

Last edited by bobabode; 05-10-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:46 PM

I was a big airshow fan until my good friend Bobby Younkin was killed in a Canadian airshow crash when he and Jimmy Franklin collided performining their Masters of Disaster Show. We lost two of the finest stunt pilots in the world that day. Sadly Samson, the plane he is flying in this video, was also a casualty that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUlA5CZneNM

If you go to airshows you have seen Bobby fly. He pioneered stunt flying the Beech 18 and the 2X series of Lear Jets. His son Matt has taken the reigns and is piloting the Beech in this video. His mom forbids him to do one stunt in the Beech show his dad did. Bobby would fly the Beech twin, upside down, 50 foot above the runway. I asked him one time when he knew to pull out. His reply was, "when the engines begin to sputter" the engines had gravity feed carburetors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0mk3c6TLmE

Here is another video of Matt in the cockpit flying the Beech 18.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1qSzCnzXvY

Bobby is gone but, never forgotten by thousands of airshow enthusiast. I am glad Matt has filled his fathers shoes. Younkin aviation is alive and well.

Bobby's father is famous for inventing a key radar component that was used by the British in WWII during the battle of Britain. Some Arkies have done some pretty amazing things. Jim, Bobby's father, is still alive today.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Resident octogenarian

Beech made some fine aircraft, loved the old Staggerwing.

Thinking of stunt pilots, Florence's first flight instructor quit because her favourite manouver was stalls, she would hang the plane on its prop until the engine quit then restart it in the dive. She soloed after eight hours, have her certificate framed and hanging in the Playroom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beech-staggerwing-1.jpg (44.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by merrylander; 05-17-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Beech made some fine aircraft, loved the old Staggerwing.

Thinking of stunt pilots, Florence's first flight instructor quit because her favourite manouver was stalls, she would hang the plane on uits prop untila the engine quit then restart it in the dive. She soloed after eight hours, have her certificate framed and hanging in the Playroom.
That reminds me of a story my gramps told us. He was up in a Jenny at Kelly Field right after they opened it. He stalled and was able to pull out without pancaking it, the base commander happened to see it and named him the aerobatics instructor.