Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
You're referencing the U.N.I.L.O. study! We'll make a community organizer out of you yet, Mike..,
Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Great! I was hoping my electric bill would go up

Pete
Old 06-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Great! I was hoping my electric bill would go up

Pete
West Virginny is doing so well with mountain top removal, which fills in the hollers and silts up the streams. At least they're getting brand new golf courses as a result of Massey's reclamation efforts.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Yeah. He'll fix it, but good!
It's already markedly improved.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
It's already markedly improved.
Yup! Real estate values are climbing out of the toilet after taking a nosedive and anyone with a 401k is happier. The American auto biz is back.

Sure is funny how some like to believe that Obama is some wild eyed lefty soshalist bent on destroying capitalism when the opposite is true. Must be all that Glenn Beck, Breibart and Faux News that they are watching?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Area Man

Quote:
We're still not creating jobs at a rate sufficient to get more Americans back to work, and there is a negative correlation between environmental regulation and economic growth. But such details have never stood in this administration's way of pursuing their agenda.
Maybe so, but, we've all seen the effects of unchecked industrial pollution on public health and environment. (Especially those of us who grew up in the Rust Belt during the so-called "Good ol' days".) I am just old enough to recall the days when residents in Youngstown and Pittsburgh would be advised to stay indoors during "inversions".

For those who don't know, an "inversion" is when certain weather conditions move over a valley and prevent pollutants from escaping. It would get so thick you could see it hanging in the air and get a metallic taste in your mouth. Google up "Donora, Pennsylvania Smog" to see just how bad it was before environmental regulation. Or, better yet, Google up "China industrial pollution" to see how bad it IS.

Do you really think that was good?

It truly is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, isn't it, Mike?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 06-24-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

It truly is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, isn't it, Mike?

Dave
Not necessarily. Timing, and approach, are everything. The government can take unilateral action, or it can be a partner. And there's nothing more compelling right now than getting the economy growing again and getting folks back to work. The environmentalists can wait until the economic picture improves. Then they'll really have something to bitch about.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Not necessarily. Timing, and approach, are everything. The government can take unilateral action, or it can be a partner. And there's nothing more compelling right now than getting the economy growing again and getting folks back to work. The environmentalists can wait until the economic picture improves. Then they'll really have something to bitch about.
I don't want them to have anything to bitch about. What you said about the government can also be said of industry.

And, in regards to this;

"And there's nothing more compelling right now than getting the economy growing again and getting folks back to work."

I couldn't agree more. Except, I happen to believe that which is built too quickly, falls apart just as quickly. And, that if it is built on a foundation too far tilted towards exploitation of resources, which includes human resources, that that foundation is only built upon the seeds of it's own destruction.

Dave
Old 06-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I don't want them to have anything to bitch about. What you said about the government can also be said of industry.

And, in regards to this;

"And there's nothing more compelling right now than getting the economy growing again and getting folks back to work."

I couldn't agree more. Except, I happen to believe that which is built too quickly, falls apart just as quickly. And, that if it is built on a foundation too far tilted towards exploitation of resources, which includes human resources, that that foundation is only built upon the seeds of it's own destruction.

Dave
Wise words, Dave.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:20 AM

Geezzz... The economy is doing better than it has in a long time, unemployment figures are improving, and I see people who haven't had jobs in years going to work....

Admittedly, the turn around is taking time, as it should...

And still, people complain?
Couldn't just be a case of partisan sour grapes, eh?