Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Wow, I guess Reagan was a lot more powerful than most Presidents, to accomplish all that singlehandedly

So, why haven't the Dems raised taxes yet?

Pete
Old 10-14-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Wow, I guess Reagan was a lot more powerful than most Presidents, to accomplish all that singlehandedly

So, why haven't the Dems raised taxes yet?

Pete
Reagan was a masterful politician and the first one ruthless enough to knowingly mislead Americans into believing they could have something that was too good to be true. But he didn't do it alone. He had plenty of help. Reagan also wasn't overly concerned with doing things in a manner you might call "legal". Ask Ollie North about that.

Why haven't the Democrats raised taxes? I can only guess it's because they like their jobs and realize that people still believe Reagan's big lie. "I'm going to raise your taxes" isn't a strong line for someone trying to get elected.

Take care,

Ed
Old 10-14-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Reagan was a masterful politician and the first one ruthless enough to knowingly mislead Americans into believing they could have something that was too good to be true. But he didn't do it alone. He had plenty of help. Reagan also wasn't overly concerned with doing things in a manner you might call "legal". Ask Ollie North about that.

Why haven't the Democrats raised taxes? I can only guess it's because they like their jobs and realize that people still believe Reagan's big lie. "I'm going to raise your taxes" isn't a strong line for someone trying to get elected.

Take care,

Ed
I have to admit, saying "I'm going to raise your taxes" is pretty much DOA.

Never heard of the HNN, Krugman is left leaning economist. While he has a viewpoint, it is not the Rosetta Stone. Economics is such a difficult subject that it leaves not only the prophets, but the Monday morning quarterbacks with egg on their face.

There is a school of thought, by credible "smart guys", who can make an impressive argument that FDR prolonged the depression and only WWII brought it to an end.

Who knows what the answer is. Kinda like raising teenagers...you can talk to one and get results, you can't kick another one's ass enough to keep him from stealing your car. And six months later you will probably have to change tactics on both.

In other words, you need to remain fluid.

What very little I understand about Keynesian economics is that during hard times you open the public tap to stimulate the economy. Tax cuts, fire up the printing press, etc. But I also believe that Lord Keynes advocated filling the hollow tree full on nuts while times are good.

Saving, I believe it's called.

Sadly, a point lost on both parties, not to mention the world stage.

I'm not going to get this perfect, but I'll give it my best shot. One of the Rothschilds was quoted as saying, "Let me control a nations currency, and I care not who makes the laws."

Who knows, I for sure don't. Dow Jones has went up 50% from it's low, gold's went up, what 10/15% from it's high. Don't forget, gold is a commodity.

Even the "Oracle from Omaha" admits that we're into uncharted territory. And lost a ton of money proving it.

Making this mess political is missing the point. No one has the answer. Hold your cards tight to your vent, bet light, and wait until your luck changes...it you have the time.

Ain't the first time something like this has happened, and it won't be the last.

May Lady Luck be your Mistress,

Chas