Old 09-28-2016, 04:05 PM

UN Report: US Owes Black People Reparations for a History of "Racial Terrorism"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ays-u-n-panel/

Damn right!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37499686

Tough to watch.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:31 PM

hmm,

So where do we draw the line? My heritage includes german jew, my wife is cherokee indian. I think most all if not all folks come from a history of some atrocity. Why would I owe for something that was done in the distant past,something I had nothing to do with, and further not even by my family. I say that because my family was not part of the small percentage of wealthy that owned slaves. Of course slavery is reprehensible, but I didn't do it. I am not racist in anyway. Do I think that black people and white people have the same standard of living? Of course not. The question is why. I do not have the answer, and if someone can come up with an answer or just way to fix it, I am all for it and will participate fully.

So how do you atone for this? How do you make it right? What would it take to actually correct the situation and make the black people feel like they have been given justice? Seriously, how do you fix the problem?
Old 09-28-2016, 04:31 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Nope, we don't owe reparations. We financed and fought a war over the issue of slavery at great expense in terms of lives and treasure. If there were a way to seek reparations from plantation/slave owners who directly profited from slavery, maybe. But I think that shipped sailed about a century ago. However, if you wish to start a charity and collect money from people who sympathize with your view enough to give money to the cause, have at it. Just don't call me.

Last edited by finnbow; 09-28-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:50 PM

Until equal treatment for all is the norm, throwing money at the problem will do little except adding more fuel to the fire. Those who feel any payments or special treatment is a handout or "entitlement" will be upset. For being left out or having to pay.

My personal feelings is more needs to be done to bring all disadvantaged into a better life full of promise. Employment, education and or training yes even welfare. In this country where we have less then 1% earning hundreds of times the average workers salary and others homeless and starving a balance needs to be obtained. If not a forced one will come about in time, history has shown over and over.

Barney

Last edited by Oerets; 09-28-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:11 PM
Ready

Reparations is a bad word. Pisses people off. People think the moral blame for slavery, and lynchings, is landing on them, and they haven't enslaved or lynched anyone.

But people are still dying, and it's still because of history that won't die. If you don't want the blame, then fine, not many ever have. You're in the good majority.

But the potential for hate is inside each of us. It's just human. And if you think now that the people who say 'black lives matter' are wrong, you are part of the problem.

It will never end, until we decide to make an end. And that means going ahead and taking some of the blame, whoever you are, and whether you think you deserve it or not.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:20 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Until equal treatment for all is the norm, throwing money at the problem will do little except adding more fuel to the fire. Those who feel any payments or special treatment is a handout or "entitlement" will be upset. For being left out of having to pay.

My personal feelings is more needs to be done to bring all disadvantaged into a better life full of promise. Employment, education and or training yes even welfare. In this country where we have less then 1% earning hundreds of times the average workers salary and others homeless and starving a balance needs to be obtained. If not a forced one will come about in time, history has shown over and over.

Barney
If someone has a wound that is bleeding, no one complains about the futility of 'throwing bandages at the problem.' And if they need some stitching up, you get them that. And if they need some nursing, and some antibiotics, that too. You do what it takes to heal the wound, or it doesn't heal well, and breaks back open.

How things are in terms of economic justice, both for you and the guy getting out of the hospital, is important. It's not to be disregarded or deferred, but it's another question.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:28 PM
Persona non grata

Black people definitely got a bum deal from whitey but how do you make up for that? Cut em a government check for 50 or 100K each? The backlash would be horrendous.

Who gets the checks?

Does Barack Obama only get one for half the amount because he's half white?

But howabout the part white black people who got that white DNA from when the slavemaster raped their great great great grandmother? Maybe they ought to get more.

What a can of worms.

And then there's the Indians.

They took it in the ass from whitey too.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:42 PM
Ready

'Everybody gets a check' is an ignorant idea, and the fact that everyone thinks that when reparations are brought up is one reason why it's a bad word.

Did you read? "The reparations could come in a variety of forms, according to the panel, including "a formal apology, health initiatives, educational opportunities ... psychological rehabilitation, technology transfer and financial support, and debt cancellation."

Whatever therapy is best for healing, to continue my 'heal the wound' metaphor.

And far from the least is the thing that will cost the least: a 'truth and reconciliation' process.

To quote the UN Committee again:
Quote:
In particular, the legacy of colonial history, enslavement, racial subordination and segregation, racial terrorism and racial inequality in the United States remains a serious challenge... Despite substantial changes since the end of the enforcement of Jim Crow and the fight for civil rights, ideology ensuring the domination of one group over another, continues to negatively impact the civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of African Americans today.The dangerous ideology of white supremacy inhibits social cohesion amongst the US population.
We ought to just admit this publicly, and apologize for it.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
If someone has a wound that is bleeding, no one complains about the futility of 'throwing bandages at the problem.' And if they need some stitching up, you get them that. And if they need some nursing, and some antibiotics, that too. You do what it takes to heal the wound, or it doesn't heal well, and breaks back open.

How things are in terms of economic justice, both for you and the guy getting out of the hospital, is important. It's not to be disregarded or deferred, but it's another question.
I am a declared s******st. You show me the program that educates, provides for, and improves any person in need and I am on board, fully and completely. A simple handout does not do it. It may be needed as part of the process, but in itself it does not SOLVE the problem.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:45 PM
Persona non grata

The best thing we could do is pass and implement Universal Single Payer Healthcare, and tuition free college. That would benefit the poor more than anyone and since minorities are disproportionately poorer it would help even things up.