Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I wasn't "telling you how it's done", just relating what worked for me. Whatever works. The important thing is to get off those damned things any way you can.

John
I know, just relating that I like the cold turkey approach as well.

Always liked doing things the hard way. Comes from being a hard head.

Chas
Old 07-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Abby Normal

Well Chas I'm watching the "PBS Newshour" (you know, that liberal elite crap you hate) and a scholarly sounding economist is very politely explaining why extending unemployment benefits is not a good idea. Seems folks who get extended benefits just don't bother to look for work in earnest.

I want to just reach into this liberal setting and yank this guy out by his tie and give him a "real world" lesson in what it's like to be unemployed during a corporate greed created economic depression.

Stupid mother fucker looks like he does not even carry a gun, I'd chump him in a Jersey second.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Always liked doing things the hard way. Comes from being a hard head.

Chas
So now we know why you are a republican.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-02-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
So now we know why you are a republican.

Regards,

D-Ray
I was a Democrat for a time.

That was back when I had a soft head!!!

Chas
Old 07-02-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Well Chas I'm watching the "PBS Newshour" (you know, that liberal elite crap you hate) and a scholarly sounding economist is very politely explaining why extending unemployment benefits is not a good idea. Seems folks who get extended benefits just don't bother to look for work in earnest.

I want to just reach into this liberal setting and yank this guy out by his tie and give him a "real world" lesson in what it's like to be unemployed during a corporate greed created economic depression.

Stupid mother fucker looks like he does not even carry a gun, I'd chump him in a Jersey second.
He has a point. Whether his point is the rule or the exception is anyone's guess.

To be honest, I favor extending UE benefits at this time. Provided that they aren't funded by employers, most of whom have no control over current events.

And to be fair to the Republicans, I believe that even they are in favor of extended benefits, their complaint concerns how they will be funded. I believe that they want to use some of the unspent stimulus funds and the Democrats want to create additional debt.

Mainly, it's just politics as usual.

Chas
Old 07-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Abby Normal

I seriously think the banks should fund it as they are chiefly responsible for causing it.

It is hard to figure who says what in Washington as I understood that it was the Dems that wanted to use the unspent stimulus money.

That place (DC) needs to be emptied cleansed and repopulated by responsible representatives of the people.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Resident octogenarian

Maybe they should put the reast of the quotation on the money, you know "In God we trust, everyone else pays cash".
Old 07-03-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
While we're "giving it time" (green energy) the Europeans and the Chinese are forging ahead. We're forfeiting our opportunity to be anything other than the paying customers of foreign corporations.

John
There's a considerable downside to 'green' energy, it depends on too many variables to be reliable. Looking at wind turbines, after taking into account building costs, material costs and increasing maintenance costs until they have to be replaced, how green are they? When the wind blows slow they don't work and in high wind, especially if it's gusty, they have to shut down.

Accepting that newspapers love bad news (scary headlines sell more papers) most say we're heading for a record hot summer. Already in Scotland a lot of reservoirs are low, and that reduces available hydro power. Our conventional power stations don't produce enough to cover the shortfall (this is why we're buying electricity from France) and the green lobby are doing their level best to stop planning permission being given for new nuclear power stations on safety grounds. Like them or not, they have a point. Until we discover a reliable and safe way to dispose of nuclear waste, how much sense does it make to produce more of it?
Old 07-03-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I seriously think the banks should fund it as they are chiefly responsible for causing it.

It is hard to figure who says what in Washington as I understood that it was the Dems that wanted to use the unspent stimulus money.

That place (DC) needs to be emptied cleansed and repopulated by responsible representatives of the people.
Need another Andy Jackson. He closed the central bank and paid off the national debt...the only president to do so.

And I wouldn't have put it past him to bust a few Keynesian's heads with his cane, if they were around back then.

Hell, he'd need the Secret Service around to pull him OFF of people. And there wouldn't be no hang dog apologizies on the teevee the next day either!!!

Chas
Old 07-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Need another Andy Jackson. He closed the central bank and paid off the national debt...the only president to do so.

And I wouldn't have put it past him to bust a few Keynesian's heads with his cane, if they were around back then.

Hell, he'd need the Secret Service around to pull him OFF of people. And there wouldn't be no hang dog apologizies on the teevee the next day either!!!

Chas
He was quite a character. Didn't he also personally execute a man on the Whitehouse lawn?

Dave