Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Mine flies all the time.

But, if I saw somebody buring one, my only thought would be, "Asshole.", then I'd walk away. I'm not about to kill anybody over protest that I find distasteful. There's just something so "un-American" about that.
Nothing wrong with a punch in the nose there Dave. Don't HAVE to shewt'em, but it wouldn't hurt

Pete
Old 01-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A0902T20140111

Yeah, no need for environmental regulation. All it does is kill jobs, anyways. Besides, the companies will do an excellent job of policing themselves. They drink the water and breathe the air too, you know
http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/ite...ith-government

Quote:
Let's take a look at the track record of private industry over the last 200 hours.

The giant retailer Target let it be known that it wasn't 40 million customers who had their financial data stolen, it was 70 million...and then it was 110 million...and it was also PIN numbers and email addresses that got snatched, too. If the federal government had allowed so profound a theft of financial information to take place, the good people at Fox News would be handing out the pitchforks and torches. After a third of the country was placed in peril of having their money stolen, thanks to the failure of private industry? Silence.

In West Virginia, some 300,000 people have been deprived of water to drink, bathe in, or prepare food with for days upon days now. Hospitals and retirement homes have had no water to work with, restaurants and other small businesses have been closed, because the water is so dirty you cannot even boil it to make it clean. Why? Because thousands of gallons of 4-methylcyclohexane methanol were dumped into the Elk River by the magnificently-misnamed Freedom Industries, a private company that deals with coal.

But damn those pointy-headed bureaucrats in Washington, right? Except it's the public servants in Washington who are running down the crooks who stole all that information from Target. It's the public servants who are cleaning up the mess made by Freedom Industries, and who are trucking in thousands of gallons of clean water to make sure the West Virginia residents affected by this get through it.

And there's this, too: the site of the spill in West Virginia has not undergone a government inspection since 1991, because government is the problem, so they de-regulated everything. And when it does go wrong, as it always does (ask West, Texas), it's the taxpayer who pays for the clean-up that is performed by the public servants.

Clearly, the decades-long push to privatize everything will lead us all to paradise on Earth.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:57 AM

I expect this company to declare bankruptcy and walk away. Just how these go down.

Here is this: One lawsuit was filed Monday by a family who lives near Freedom's facility and alleges that they smelled the licorice smell off and on for more than a year. The lawsuit alleges that the family, identified only by their initials, had made several complaints to the state Department of Environmental Protection about the odor.
http://www.wvgazette.com/News/201401...=2&build=cache

This usually means that there is possible ground water contamination and that is a very expensive cleanup.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Tom, industry pretty much writes regulation these days. They write the regulations, submit them with a campaign check, and the lawmakers put their stamps on it without question.

This is our plutocracy.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Heck I spoke to a hazmat truck driver a couple years ago, he inadvertently spilled a little nastiness when he decoupled his hose (tanker truck), they had to remove 6 square yards of gravel/dirt from the site!

Pete
Old 01-14-2014, 11:23 AM
Resident octogenarian

Given the Law of Conservation of Matter I would imagine that all of these spills are still out there polluting the environment even though they are diluted. Sooner or later the concentration will be enough to cause harm.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:41 AM

And only then will someone say "why didn't we do something?"
Old 01-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

We are all guilty.

Pete
Old 01-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
We are all guilty.