Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Loyal Opposition

Siemens Corporation

It appears that the Siemens corporation is the epitome of a multinational corporation. According to Wikipedia, it has operations in 190 countries. Siemens originated in Germany.

Last I heard, Germany was an ally. It appears, however, that Siemens has provided a great deal of the technology for the Iranian Nuclear program. What should be done when there is a disconnect between international security and corporate interests?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Area Man

But, Don, they did it to make a profit, which is always a good thing. Right?

Dave
Old 12-10-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
It appears that the Siemens corporation is the epitome of a multinational corporation. According to Wikipedia, it has operations in 190 countries. Siemens originated in Germany.

Last I heard, Germany was an ally. It appears, however, that Siemens has provided a great deal of the technology for the Iranian Nuclear program. What should be done when there is a disconnect between international security and corporate interests?

Regards,

D-Ray
I think we should lock the CEO up...just like we did with Bernard Schwartz.

The giant internationals and been selling technology and tools to both sides every since the earth cooled. And even if those in charge are prosecuted, they wind up doing less time than the guy who stuck up the liquor store.

Chas
Old 12-10-2010, 07:08 AM
Loyal Opposition

Venerable old IBM was a Nazi collaborator too.

I wasn't suggesting locking anyone up. My question was more along the lines is there anything structural that could impose a conscience on these "persons?" As it is, profit has no allies nor any enemies. It exists to serve its own purposes. In our world it has become a value taking precedence over any other. This is just another example of that phenomenon.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

How about Standard Oil and DuPont's cooperation with the Nazi's and IG Farben (maker of Zyklon B, BTW). Nothing new here.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Iirc German companies are well known for their amoral sales operations to enemies of the west.

Pete
Old 12-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Iirc German companies are well known for their amoral sales operations to enemies of the west.

Pete
You have probably used the correct description, but in my little world the whole concept is immoral.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-10-2010, 09:15 AM

I have to wonder what the laws in Germany look like for a company that operates potentially outside of German national/foreign policy interests. For instance, I would suspect that Seimens is not delivering supplies and materials to Iran via a German - based entity. They may be doing it though one of their many subsidiaries based outside of Germany, and do so in compliance with the laws where that subsidiary operates. How does German law treat that scenario?

Last edited by whell; 12-10-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I have to wonder what the laws in Germany look like for a company that operates potentially outside of German national/foreign policy interests. For instance, I would suspect that Seimens is not delivering supplies and materials to Iran via a German - based entity. They may be doing it though one of their many subsidiaries based outside of Germany, and do so in compliance with the laws where that subsidiary operates. How does German law treat that scenario?
Uh - I dunno. My inquiry was more an ethical puzzle. Does it turn out that the ultimate value set in the western world places profit at the top.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I think the Germans (and the French, among others in Western Europe) take a more pragmatic view than we do (i.e., somebody somewhere is going to sell this stuff to them. It might as well be us).

BTW, we were among those who sold the precursor chemicals to Iraq for their manfacture of poison gas. Courtesty of Wikipedia:

The provision of chemical precursors from United States companies to Iraq was enabled by a Ronald Reagan administration policy that removed Iraq from the State Department's list of State Sponsors of Terrorism. Leaked portions of Iraq's "Full, Final and Complete" disclosure of the sources for its weapons programs shows that thiodiglycol, a substance needed to manufacture mustard gas, was among the chemical precursors provided to Iraq from US companies such as Alcolac International and Phillips.