Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
And yet we had a surplus when Bush jr was gifted the Presidency, go figure.

Carl
Yep, Clinton was a good president. It is a shame we couldn't have him now instead of the community organizer.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:17 AM
Admin

I think Bacon Bits or Mini Me is back under a psuedonym.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I think Bacon Bits or Mini Me is back under a psuedonym.
Nah. I have been playing on political forums for years. Never saw any reason to change a user name. Nothing about any of this is a surprise. I knew this was liberal circle jerk after reading here for five minutes.
AK seems to want to promote the place.
If you think it is more boring since I showed I will wander off no hard feelings at all.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Resident octogenarian

The biggest problem in this country is middlemen, you can't deal directly with anyone. In Canada when I needed a mortgage I went straight to my bank, told them the address of the property. A week later they called me and made an appointment for a meeting. We went down to their office signed one piece of paper, wrote a check for $600 to cover costs and we had a mortgage. A 25/5 which means that the bank holds it for the full 25 years and interest rates are negotiated every 5 years. No Fanny or Freddie. Oh yeah as a percentage of the population home ownership is slightly higher there.

On this home first we had to see a mortgage broker, she took what y'all call a point (anywhere else they would call it a bribe). The bank took two points, we met at the Title Company, nearly got writer's cramp from all the papers I signed. Got dinged $400 for Title insurance (of which the Title company kept $320 because the broker's fee is 80%). Wrote a check for $22,600. Six months later the bank sold the mortgage to Countrywide so they made a 2 point profit for nothing. And yes Countrywide are/were a bunch of thieves.

Same with prescription drugs, there are maybe four major wholesellers of prescription drugs and they set the prices.

Want the country to run better? First we shoot all the middlemen and lobbyists. BTW anyone who can read and speak proper English will tell you that the 1st does NOT justify lobbying.

Last edited by merrylander; 09-20-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post

Want the country to run better? First we shoot all the middlemen and lobbyists. BTW anyone who can read and speak proper English will tell you that the 1st does NOT justify lobbying.
Truth!
If corps are people, how come we can't execute them? Nor does the second guarantee military weapons to any idjit with a wad of cash in their pocket.

Last edited by bobabode; 09-20-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroJunk View Post
Fives years in to the recovery and growth is at 1 1/2 percent.

The fed has been pumping $ 1,000,000,000,000 per year in to the economy and they can't even get inflation up much less job growth.

Bernanke wanted to taper and figured out that if he does it will crash. All that does is funnel in to the stock market which does little for the working class who vote for the liberal policies.

And people wonder why those who pursue the same policies and expect different results are called insane.
What has 30 years of tinkle down economics done for the middle class?
Old 09-20-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswojo View Post
What has 30 years of tinkle down economics done for the middle class?
I'm 60 years old and I'm not sure anybody who is 40 or under even knows what poor is compared to the 60's. I got my first job when I was 13 pulling tobacco for $40 a week, that's a bout 60 cents an hour. Without that I would have had no money at all. None. Not even enough to buy a soft drink at the store.

Both my parents had a job and we had all the necessities, nothing extra.

I don't know anybody who isn't better off now than we were when I was a kid and we were better than some.

This notion that those were the good old days is a bunch of crap.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Admin

Quote:
I'm 60 years old and I'm not sure anybody who is 40 or under even knows what poor is compared to the 60's. I got my first job when I was 13 pulling tobacco for $40 a week, that's a bout 60 cents an hour. Without that I would have had no money at all. None. Not even enough to buy a soft drink at the store.

Both my parents had a job and we had all the necessities, nothing extra.

I don't know anybody who isn't better off now than we were when I was a kid and we were better than some.

This notion that those were the good old days is a bunch of crap.
Let's see, born in '53 so you were pulling down a 40 hr. week while in junior high school in '66? How did you manage to get into UNC on that schedule??

BTW, the wife remembers getting a buck and a quarter an hour (gross) that year doing the books at an art supply store in Connecticut after school.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Let's see, born in '53 so you were pulling down a 40 hr. week while in junior high school in '66? How did you manage to get into UNC on that schedule??

BTW, the wife remembers getting a buck and a quarter an hour (gross) that year doing the books at an art supply store in Connecticut after school.
I am glad that you ask that. The majority of that is summer work, tobacco grows in the summer sort of thing.

In college once school started we would start at 5 'o'clock in the morning and take a barn out. Drive to school and take morning classes, then come back home and pull tobacco until dark. It was all over by the first of October back then although big farmers harvest almost to November now.

And, it was more like 80 hours a week until school started.

I had my own crop in exchange for working with a big farmer starting when I was 15. No hourly wage at all, just whatever my tobacco brought at auction.

Last edited by ZeroJunk; 09-20-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I am glad that you ask that. The majority of that is summer work, tobacco grows in the summer sort of thing.

In college once school started we would start at 5 'o'clock in the morning and take a barn out. Drive to school and take morning classes, then come back home and pull tobacco until dark. It was all over by the first of October back then although big farmers harvest almost to November now.

And, it was more like 80 hours a week until school started.

I had my own crop in exchange for working with a big farmer starting when I was 15. No hourly wage at all, just whatever my tobacco brought at auction.
As an entrepreneur, you are a little ahead of me, age wise.

I started out as a rough in sub when I was 20. By the time I turned 21, I had already roughed in 20-25 houses. Contract labor, and the contract was a shake of the hand. I never even saw a set of blueprints, much less a detail, until I moved to the Rio Grande Valley about 1975. By then, I could design a house.

Those days are pretty much gone.

Chas